Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Any options for long term customer upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bahnzo

Bahnzo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:40 PM

My parents are long term (10+ year) dish network customers and are looking to add a second TV. They'd like to possibly get a DVR for their main TV and move the older receiver to a bedroom TV.

I used to work at Dish (in what was called the "executive office", if that still exists), so I know in the past there were some deals for customers like my parents to get newer receivers. But I can't find anything for them on the Dish website about something like this.

So is there any options/promotions going on right now, or would it be maybe better to buy one instead? Dad's pretty handy and installed the original dish himself, so I'm sure he'd have no problem with it (hell, he'd prolly prefer it :lol: )

I told him that if they weren't willing to do something to keep a long term customer like him then cancel and go to Direct and get all new equipment installed free...something that always bothered me when I was at Dish. But he wants to stay with what he knows they like.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:36 PM

My parents are long term (10+ year) dish network customers and are looking to add a second TV. They'd like to possibly get a DVR for their main TV and move the older receiver to a bedroom TV.

I used to work at Dish (in what was called the "executive office", if that still exists), so I know in the past there were some deals for customers like my parents to get newer receivers. But I can't find anything for them on the Dish website about something like this.

So is there any options/promotions going on right now, or would it be maybe better to buy one instead? Dad's pretty handy and installed the original dish himself, so I'm sure he'd have no problem with it (hell, he'd prolly prefer it :lol: )

I told him that if they weren't willing to do something to keep a long term customer like him then cancel and go to Direct and get all new equipment installed free...something that always bothered me when I was at Dish. But he wants to stay with what he knows they like.

Upgrades are found once you log into the customer account section on DishNetwork.com. You will need the account number to access.

#3 OFFLINE   Bahnzo

Bahnzo

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:46 PM

Upgrades are found once you log into the customer account section on DishNetwork.com. You will need the account number to access.

Ahh, ok I see it. Looks like they are still doing the Dishin' It Up thing. I wasn't too enthralled with the DIU promo, anyone done this recently and have any comments or info on it (ie: receivers, cost, additional fee's)?

#4 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:44 PM

Ahh, ok I see it. Looks like they are still doing the Dishin' It Up thing. I wasn't too enthralled with the DIU promo, anyone done this recently and have any comments or info on it (ie: receivers, cost, additional fee's)?

The costs associated with upgrades should be available on the web site.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:12 AM

Upgrade offers will vary in price depending on a number of factors, so the website is the best way to get an idea of what it will cost you (or, rather, your parents). Doing a Dish'n It Up lease is the cheapest way to go. Remember to plan ahead; you only get one Dish'n It Up per 12 month period.

#6 OFFLINE   Satpro92

Satpro92

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:11 AM

Upgrade offers will vary in price depending on a number of factors, so the website is the best way to get an idea of what it will cost you (or, rather, your parents). Doing a Dish'n It Up lease is the cheapest way to go. Remember to plan ahead; you only get one Dish'n It Up per 12 month period.

Dish'n it up kinda sucks really,It's just not fair to give new customers anything and everything under a lease plan for free while charging loyal long time customers up front charges and monthly charges.

It is my job to try to explain this to customers that we originally installed 10 years ago.At what point does keeping loyal customers(those of five years or more) become as importent as signing new customers?To me it looks like never.

You literally have to threaten disconnection to get Dish to do anything for you as a loyal customer,then DNSC has to take care of the problem.How is that fair for the customer or the retailer?The same customers and retailers that built Dish Network.

#7 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:09 AM

Dish'n it up kinda sucks really,It's just not fair to give new customers anything and everything under a lease plan for free while charging loyal long time customers up front charges and monthly charges.

It is my job to try to explain this to customers that we originally installed 10 years ago.At what point does keeping loyal customers(those of five years or more) become as importent as signing new customers?To me it looks like never.

You literally have to threaten disconnection to get Dish to do anything for you as a loyal customer,then DNSC has to take care of the problem.How is that fair for the customer or the retailer?The same customers and retailers that built Dish Network.

Becareful expressing your opinions on this site more than one CSR has been terminated for their opinions.

#8 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:44 AM

I've also been with E* for a long time and based on my experience, the best thing you can do is to give them a ring and negotiate your options with them. Patience, a little humor, and clarity for what you're looking for usually do the trick.

Good luck.

John
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#9 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:03 PM

Bottom line: every company gives their best deals to new customers, because that's a big reason a company GETS new customers.

And, actually, a lot of long-time Dish customers get very good Dish'n It Up deals. But it is important to remember: the primary metric used to determine how good a deal you get is NOT how long you've been a subscriber, but how frequently you pay your bill ON TIME, i.e., by the due date. Someone who's been a subscriber for 2 years but pays on-time will get a better deal than a 10 year subscriber who pays the day before the service is cut off 4 times a year.

And that seems pretty fair to me.

#10 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:14 PM

Also, as others have said better deals have been known to be made possible if you speak with a retention agent. Of course, if you decide to do this and they look at your account and decide to let you leave you may be left without service.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#11 OFFLINE   azcoronadog

azcoronadog

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:49 PM

I've been a Dish customer for 6 years, and just used the DIU option to upgrade to HD.

At first, they gave me the fabulous offer of only paying $75 for a new receiver that I would never own.

I played the move to Direct card, and told them I want the same deal as a new Dish customer. I got them to agree to: a $50 credit, 3 free months of HBO and Stars, a year of Cinemax for a penny a month, 3 free months of the extra HD channels, and a no cost install of a new dish (1000.2) and a 722 receiver.

So I had to pay $25 up front ($75 DIU cost - $50 credit), and sign another 2 year agreement.

So Direct would have been cheaper, but I really wanted to stick with the product I knew.

The installer came out 2 days later, and everything has been working great, so I'm happy.

And as a bonus, my neighbor saw the Dish truck and was asking about service, so I gave him a Club Dish coupon that gives us both some additional discounts.

I've always been on the Everything package with 2 receivers, so having paid them $104 a month on time for the last 6 years probably helped. Also, I was very polite and had to speak to more than one person to get it done. Your mileage may vary....

#12 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:05 PM

You can get one reciever that will handle both the main TV and the second TV and you would be able to watch DVR programming on both TVs. The disadvantage is that if you are recording one program, you can't watch a live program on the second TV (but you could watch a recorded program).

If they have an HD TV for their primary TV, you would get the 622 or 722 DVR. If they have a Standard Definition TV, they will get the 522 DVR. The interface is really easy to use, especially if they are used to one of the other E* receivers.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#13 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:56 AM

Dish Network reported that it lost about 10,000 net subscribers during the third quarter, compared with its gain of 110,000 subscribers in the year-ago period. The satellite provider now has 13.78 million subscribers. For the second quarter, Dish Network had also reported a subscriber loss of 25,000 households, the first such loss ever for the satellite company.

So, maybe Dish will try to hold onto customers a bit more now?

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,730 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:24 AM

So, maybe Dish will try to hold onto customers a bit more now?

That is part of the reason why they had such a financial loss this quarter (or less profit than usual). Incentives to keep customers. DISH did a lot better financially the quarter before with less incentives (and net lost more customers).

DISH can't give away the store and remain profitable.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...