Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about 101 signal strengths

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:44 PM

LNB about 98% likely.

Another thing I noticed is that it doesn't appear that this "lower numbers on odd or even transponders" thing is across the board on every sat.Is that typical in this situation? Just curious, as it is only apparent with the 101.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:59 PM

look, I may be way off but have you tried tweaking? you said you noticed this but were having no issues. if this were something broken I think you would have issues.
IIRC a tilt issue had been reported to occasionally cause some odd/even reports like this.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#23 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:03 PM

look, I may be way off but have you tried tweaking? you said you noticed this but were having no issues. if this were something broken I think you would have issues.
IIRC a tilt issue had been reported to occasionally cause some odd/even reports like this.

tilt will never affect 101 readings on a KaKu
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#24 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

Another thing I noticed is that it doesn't appear that this "lower numbers on odd or even transponders" thing is across the board on every sat.Is that typical in this situation? Just curious, as it is only apparent with the 101.

each sat has it's own lnb in the lnb assembly, only the one for the 101 is going bad.
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#25 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:52 AM

tilt will never affect 101 readings on a KaKu

ok, but my point is instead of first replacing parts the most basic item might want to be checked, and that is aim.
takes minutes and will rule it out.
nowhere here, and I may have missed it, have I read that checking aim was attempted.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#26 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:46 AM

ok, but my point is instead of first replacing parts the most basic item might want to be checked, and that is aim.
takes minutes and will rule it out.
nowhere here, and I may have missed it, have I read that checking aim was attempted.

No I didn't, since it was only the odd # tp's on one sat apparently being affected......that's why I posted the question here. No one else has suggested tweaking the dish, that's why I won't. If you looked at the numbers I had in July that have held steady, why would I want to mess with it, when it doesn't appear to be the problem?

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#27 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,160 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:12 PM

Please let us know what happens when the 101 LNB is changed. And then remember who suggested an LNB problem in the first place. ;)

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#28 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:50 PM

Please let us know what happens when the 101 LNB is changed. And then remember who suggested an LNB problem in the first place. ;)

Will do.......and thanks to both of you:)

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#29 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 974 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:25 AM

Turns out these low numbers I'm seeing may be related to the latest firmware upgrade, according to this thead
http://www.dbstalk.c...782#post1873782
If I take the BBC off and check the signal on that tuner without it, my odd TP numbers go right back up into the 90's like they had been......put it back on, they're down 7-10 points on the odd TP's. It's obviously coincidental that my odd TP numbers are a little low on my old hughes receiver. It has some pretty old connectors on it's cable, so that would explain that. I'll still order a spare lnb, but doesn't appear to be the problem.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

Protected By... spam firewall...And...