Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about adding monopoles to Slimline.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   abooch

abooch

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:10 PM

I want to purchase a monopole or two to add to help support the dish alittle more. Do i need to remove the dish from the top of the pole in order to add the monopoles?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:33 PM

I want to purchase a monopole or two to add to help support the dish alittle more. Do i need to remove the dish from the top of the pole in order to add the monopoles?

no, the clamp can be expanded to fit over the pipe, but be careful to not crease it.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#3 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:24 PM

Yeah you can bend the clamp around the mast. But the clamp of the newest but much improved monopoles is thicker then before.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#4 OFFLINE   jhillestad

jhillestad

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:59 PM

I removed mine because I wanted to be sure it was level.... So if your concerned about being level you will need to remove the dish.... If you put the monopoles on and tighten they will tend to torque the J-pole and you might ruin your level.....

So if your not goinf to redo the level check be sure not to over tighten the monopoles...

#5 OFFLINE   PicaKing

PicaKing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:05 PM

Did you have the dish installed? If so, you should contact the installer and have them come back and add the monopoles which is something they should have done in the first place.
Slimline 5 LNB
HR20-100 attached to Panasonic 42" plasma via HDMI
HR10-250
HR21-700
HR22
D-15
Some really old SD receiver out on the deck

#6 OFFLINE   xtreme571

xtreme571

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:17 PM

Depends on where your dish is mounted, but wouldn't it be easier to remove the 4 bolts on the piece connected to the roof/wall, and then insert the monopoles from the bottom and re-mount it. to get it exactly where it should be, you can use the built-in leveler.

You can also use a marker to mark the position before u remove it. That is how I put them on for a friend.

#7 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:29 PM

Depends on where your dish is mounted, but wouldn't it be easier to remove the 4 bolts on the piece connected to the roof/wall, and then insert the monopoles from the bottom and re-mount it. to get it exactly where it should be, you can use the built-in leveler.

You can also use a marker to mark the position before u remove it. That is how I put them on for a friend.

thats actually a lot harder then bending 2 pieces of small metal.
and the plate has a lot of rotational freedom once the lags are loosened a bit. you can't guarantee perfect repositioning.

if done carefully monopole addition stands a lot less chance of affecting aim.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#8 OFFLINE   ysiamrich

ysiamrich

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

I've have a somewhat related question. I am having trouble with losing signals for the MPEG4 HDs. I have had techs out 4 times to align the dish. Each time they will get my signals in the 90s then if wind starts to pick up and I will start having issues with the signal being knocked out.

When we have a bigger storm as this week (Southeast Virginia), my dish seems to get completely out of alignment (I have 0's on 99© and 113© now). I have a tech coming on Nov 10. I have not had a signal for over 24 hours. I do get the SD and MPEG2 signals.

There is one support pole on the dish now. I think I may just need to add something to stabalize it more. Where would I get a monopole to install? I checked directv.com but I can't find items like that. Is the only source e-bay?

I am not keen on getting on the roof but I am tired of having techs coming out and only giving me a temporary solution so I am willing to give it a try.

#9 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:03 PM

solid signal also carries them.
http://www.solidsign...PROD=DTV-AT9-SB
http://www.solidsign...PROD=DTV-AT9-LB

1 is long, 1 is standard length.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.