Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

RSP's

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   georgexplorer

georgexplorer

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:27 PM

A few of the RSP's names are abbreviations, can anyone help me figure out what they satnd for?:confused:

ACS
ADS
AEI
DRS
Via

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:29 PM

A few of the RSP's names are abbreviations, can anyone help me figure out what they satnd[sic] for?:confused:

ACS
ADS
AEI
DRS
Via

What does RSP stand for? :confused:
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#3 OFFLINE   georgexplorer

georgexplorer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:30 PM

RSP
Residential Service Provider

#4 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:34 PM

What's a Residential Service Provider?
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#5 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:37 PM

They provide installations and service calls in areas where providers don't have their own dispatch.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#6 OFFLINE   georgexplorer

georgexplorer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:54 PM

Figured one out;
AEI - Alternative Entertainment Inc.

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:41 PM

It's a (usually big) contractor that handles Dish installations in areas where Dish doesn't have a local office. Dish has their own offices with "in-house" techs in many larger metro areas, but there are a lot of places where it isn't economical for Dish to have such a setup, so they contract all the work out to an RSP.

#8 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:18 PM

An RSP, of course. :)
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#9 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:32 PM

Last week I saw 2 different Dish Network trucks in my neighborhood. One had a different phone number on the side 1-888-DISH123 and it had Georgia plates (I'm in the Cleveland, Ohio suburbs). The other one had the usual 1-800-333-3474. I presume the truck with the regular Dish number was an in-house. But why would a (presumed) subcontractor from Georgia run a truck up here when there are other (presumably) in house installers?
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#10 OFFLINE   SattManager

SattManager

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:50 PM

RSP is actually a Regional Service Provider. I know this because i work for one. Just to clear that up. Essentially IIP hit the nail on the head. Dish doesnt have inhouse techs in this market so we provide the labor for them for the majority of the residential and commercial work that comes up. Several of them do things differently as the company i work for supplies the vans and pays hourly and some do piece meal work.

DRS = Digital Reception Services
52" SONY XBR LCD 1080P
ViP 622
BDSP300 Sony Blu-Ray

#11 OFFLINE   SattManager

SattManager

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:53 PM

But why would a (presumed) subcontractor from Georgia run a truck up here when there are other (presumably) in house installers?

What happens from time to time is that the " calendars" start to stretch out meaning that Dish wants to get an installer out to your home within a certain time frame....but if there is a lack of installers or just an over abundance on customers ordering work they will from time to time have installers from another region come in.
52" SONY XBR LCD 1080P
ViP 622
BDSP300 Sony Blu-Ray

#12 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:17 PM

Last week I saw 2 different Dish Network trucks in my neighborhood. One had a different phone number on the side 1-888-DISH123 and it had Georgia plates (I'm in the Cleveland, Ohio suburbs). The other one had the usual 1-800-333-3474. I presume the truck with the regular Dish number was an in-house. But why would a (presumed) subcontractor from Georgia run a truck up here when there are other (presumably) in house installers?

My little install company is doing work in Cleveland; there used to be 2 large RSPs in Ohio, and one of them left, so Ohio has been behind. I'm moving my company out there, as there is virtually no Dish work in California for subs. Ohio has no local Dish offices, and no "in-house" techs, but when any area gets way behind, Dish will send in-house techs from other areas of the country to work for a week or so to help get them caught up.

The "local" vans in Ohio actually belong to the RSP, not to Dish, again because Dish doesn't have a local office there. Except for the occasional backlog where in-house guys come in from elsewhere, all of the Ohio installers are contractors. And the contractor is a good one; they are very focused on install quality and customer service. They've been great to work with so far.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...