Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Boise, ID

vip211k

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   nik1108

nik1108

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:04 AM

I feel your pain on calling support. I gave up on technical support long ago when a case manager saw fit to never get in touch with me during the times promised to resolve a previous unrelated issue.

Now this is the response when I email customer service over the problem. It could be all fluff and really no action. We can hope can't we?

"I'm sorry for the trouble you're having with your HD local channel. Please be informed, we are aware of the issue you're experiencing and our engineering department is working hard to come up with a solution to this technical problem."

What is the technical issue here? Beyond me, but you would think over the past month they would have resolved it by now.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Wintrmte

Wintrmte

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:30 AM

Just bumping because this is absolutely insane. Still getting audio drop outs on KTVB channel 7 (NBC). Every day / night at random intervals.

Too many to post in the requested format for this forum.

Edit: Called support, they said engineering is still working on it, but have no ETA.. ARGH!!!!!!! I'm kinda held hostage here cause our DVR's don't have antenna inputs.. :o

Edited by Wintrmte, 03 March 2009 - 09:49 AM.

#23 OFFLINE   nik1108

nik1108

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:33 AM

I have not experienced any issues on channel 7 as of tonight. For once I could watch the Office and ER without a single hiccup. Could it be true? I will not hold my breath though with the track record of DirecTV thus far.

#24 OFFLINE   Wintrmte

Wintrmte

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:27 PM

I have not experienced any issues on channel 7 as of tonight. For once I could watch the Office and ER without a single hiccup. Could it be true? I will not hold my breath though with the track record of DirecTV thus far.

Not sure, but the true test for me will be tomorrow when I watch Heroes.. :grin:

#25 OFFLINE   nik1108

nik1108

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:36 PM

Seems this issue that has been happening for 4+ weeks now is the stations fault and not DirecTV. I filed a complaint through DirecTV who was going to notify the station. Off air reception breaks up exactly the same way it does through DirecTV. They posted on their Facebook that Friday the 5th they did 30 minutes of transmitter maintinence which seems to have made it worse.

#26 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:09 AM

There is a problem with how DirecTV shows PBS channel 4-2. When viewed through OTA, 4-2 is a proper 16:9 720p channel, but when viewed on the satellite, 4-2 is a 4:3 center cut channel and is 480p.

#27 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:59 AM

In some markets, DirecTV gave PBS affils the option of one HD channel or two subchannels in SD. This is the case in the Boise market. Idaho PTV chose to do two subchannels in SD, thus the 16:9 720p channel is being center cut and distributed in 480p.

I'm assuming they chose to do this instead of one HD channel because they don't carry the regular Idaho PTV broadcast on the HD (.2) channel. I'm guess its the national PBS HD west coast feed on there? Either way, if you asked them, I'm sure Idaho PTV would say they would have preferred that 4-2 be available in HD as well.

#28 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:00 PM

In some markets, DirecTV gave PBS affils the option of one HD channel or two subchannels in SD. This is the case in the Boise market. Idaho PTV chose to do two subchannels in SD, thus the 16:9 720p channel is being center cut and distributed in 480p.

I'm assuming they chose to do this instead of one HD channel because they don't carry the regular Idaho PTV broadcast on the HD (.2) channel. I'm guess its the national PBS HD west coast feed on there? Either way, if you asked them, I'm sure Idaho PTV would say they would have preferred that 4-2 be available in HD as well.

Thanks for the info, I guess the bad news here is that it doesn't sound like this situation is going to change. I'm not sure if it's PBS East or West that they show on the HD channel, they have begun doing some strange things in the last year or two like downrezzing to 720p in the first place since I know when I first got PBS in HD on the eastern side of the state, it was 1080i and internet searches indicate that PBS still uses 1080i nationally.

#29 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:30 AM

Does anyone else experience audio dropouts on channels 6 and 12? It is driving me crazy. The sound drops out for a second or two about every 5 minutes, this doesn't seem to happen on channels 2 or 7.

#30 OFFLINE   dogs31

dogs31

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

Is DTV broadcasting KNIN in HD?

#31 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

Watching the NFL on CBS, 2, is very painful. I posted a thread on the Dish side of the forum to gauge what kind of picture those subs are getting.

Watching broadcasts on the Directv feed or 2-1 I see the same issues. I have even tried watching the 2-1 feed by bypassing the Directv receiver and going straight to the tv.

I cannot believe I am the only person in Boise that is seeing the incessant pixelization - Evident while watching live tv, especially noticeable during the logo washes and slo-mo.

I had an ongoing email discussion with their station manager and engineer last year who insisted that they have had no other complaints. I find this unbelievable, especially since I saw the same issues while watching a game on a sports bar's Directv feed.

Am I crazy? Is anyone else noticing this? Are they starving their HD feed, for their subchannel? I do not see this issue on the other local stations when watching college games on ABC (6-1), or the pros on Fox (12-1) or NBC (7-1).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...