Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Sioux Falls, SD

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:52 AM

Please post broadcast issues with DIRECTV satellite delivered HD Local Channels only

DMA: Sioux Falls, SD
Established: 11/6/2008

HD Locals available in this DMA
  • ABC - KSFY (13)
  • CBS - KELO (11)
  • NBC - KDLT (46)
  • FOX - KTTW (17)

For instructions, please visit this thread

Edited by Doug Brott, 15 January 2009 - 05:37 PM.

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Fluthy

Fluthy

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:35 AM

No FOX? The DirecTV Guide shows PBS and FOX. I have not had a chance to view yet since I am at work. What gives? or will they be coming shortly?

#3 OFFLINE   ckf

ckf

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:08 AM

No FOX? The DirecTV Guide shows PBS and FOX. I have not had a chance to view yet since I am at work. What gives? or will they be coming shortly?

It's just the big three. No Fox although it shows a duplicate 17 on the channel guide. Couldn't even enjoy the HD signal this morning on the other three because for some inexplicable reason, when they crawl weather warnings or cancellations it letterboxes everything and reverts us to SD. Fox for the Vikings is what I really wanted. Sucks.

#4 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:20 AM

Like I said in the thread that wasn't official enough. The following is listed on the D* site guide and it is also listed this way when setting up favorites:
11 KELO HD
11 KELO SD
13 KSFY HD
13 KSFY SD
17 KTTW SD
17 KTTW SD
20 KSMN SD
20 KSMN SD
23 KCSD SD
23 KCSD SD
46 KDLT HD
46 KDLT SD
One of the 11s is HD 1080i, One of the 13s is HD 720p, both 17s are 480i, both 20s are 480i, both 23s are 480i, and one 46 is 1080i.
The question is is one of the 17s, 20s, and 23s supposed to be HD? One would think so.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#5 OFFLINE   ckf

ckf

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:30 AM

My channel guide is set up to just get the HD version of the channel. I woke up this morning with 11, 13 & 46 just displaying one version on the guide (the HD version). Everything else had two, including Fox. Fox is not going to be HD it appears.

#6 OFFLINE   bookwalk

bookwalk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:29 PM

Please post broadcast issues with DIRECTV satellite delivered HD Local Channels only

DMA: Sioux Falls, SD
Established: 11/6/2008

HD Locals available in this DMA

• ABC - KSFY (13)
  • CBS - KELO (11)
  • NBC - KDLT (46)
For instructions, please visit this thread

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS--NO FOX????????????

What's the point? FOX broadcasts HD to the local Sioux Falls area--not beyond about 20 miles, though, so, we, 50 miles away cannot get FOX HD anyway anywhere? We can't even get an SD signal.

Why can't we get a waiver so we can get FOX HD DN????

Why don't we have FOX HD? Does DISH have the FOX HD to rebroadcast?

We ought to then get the National FOX HD--how can we get that?

THE SD signal is JUST UNWATCHABLE!

What's the problem anyway?

I called a CSR and she said it was only broadcast in the evening, but I know that I at least should see 1080i resoluton even if the programming I see is not in HD--it's that way with the other 3 networks.

Who can we complain to about this?

#7 OFFLINE   Knon2000

Knon2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:47 PM

My channel guide is set up to just get the HD version of the channel. I woke up this morning with 11, 13 & 46 just displaying one version on the guide (the HD version). Everything else had two, including Fox. Fox is not going to be HD it appears.

I would think that they did the SD duplicates so that they could eliminate the 72.5 dish from some new installs. Not a complete explaination since they don't have al the SD channels on the new sat, but it could be a reason. Anyway, I use the OTA right now anyway, and with the onset of winter, don't know that I would switch my recording over to the sat anyway. Good to know that they have them up, but until they get the big 4 in HD, don't think I will switch them over.
BTW, until they make it easier to actually edit the season pass info, by allowing us to change the channel without completely deleting and replacing the season pass, it will be easier for me to withstand the temptation to do it.
Proud user of
3 HR20-700's
2 HR20-100's
1 HR10-250
with 3 HR10's on Standby

#8 OFFLINE   Knon2000

Knon2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:58 PM

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS--NO FOX????????????

What's the point? FOX broadcasts HD to the local Sioux Falls area--not beyond about 20 miles, though, so, we, 50 miles away cannot get FOX HD anyway anywhere? We can't even get an SD signal.

Why can't we get a waiver so we can get FOX HD DN????

Why don't we have FOX HD? Does DISH have the FOX HD to rebroadcast?

"snip"

Who can we complain to about this?

I live in Yankton, about equal distance from Sioux Falls and Sioux City. I can't get kttw from Sioux Falls, but KPTH comes in strong from Sioux City. Actually, I get everything from Sioux City, but only CBS and NBC come in strong from Sioux Falls, ABC is hit and miss, and Fox is invisable to me. So, all I can say is that for now, if you can, put in the Sioux City DMA into your antenna setup and get Fox out of Sioux City if you can get it.
Yes, I agree, it seems weird to only get the three HD LiL's, but as seen elsewere, this is not at all unusual. Once the transition takes place in Feb, I would think that this may change, until then, all we can do is hope.

BTW, Dish doesn't carry any of Sioux Falls locals in HD, and there is no chance of getting a waiver. I tried several times in the past, without any luck.
Proud user of
3 HR20-700's
2 HR20-100's
1 HR10-250
with 3 HR10's on Standby

#9 OFFLINE   bookwalk

bookwalk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:59 PM

I would think that they did the SD duplicates so that they could eliminate the 72.5 dish from some new installs. Not a complete explaination since they don't have al the SD channels on the new sat, but it could be a reason. Anyway, I use the OTA right now anyway, and with the onset of winter, don't know that I would switch my recording over to the sat anyway. Good to know that they have them up, but until they get the big 4 in HD, don't think I will switch them over.
BTW, until they make it easier to actually edit the season pass info, by allowing us to change the channel without completely deleting and replacing the season pass, it will be easier for me to withstand the temptation to do it.

Where are you located in SD--how far from Sioux Falls? So you don't get FOX HD with outside antenna? It sounds like it is just not going to be included for us at all.

#10 OFFLINE   Knon2000

Knon2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:07 PM

Where are you located in SD--how far from Sioux Falls? So you don't get FOX HD with outside antenna? It sounds like it is just not going to be included for us at all.

I live in Yankton area, basically equal distance from Sioux Falls and Sioux City. I record all my tv out of Sioux City right now.
Proud user of
3 HR20-700's
2 HR20-100's
1 HR10-250
with 3 HR10's on Standby

#11 OFFLINE   bookwalk

bookwalk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:08 PM

I live in Yankton, about equal distance from Sioux Falls and Sioux City. I can't get kttw from Sioux Falls, but KPTH comes in strong from Sioux City. Actually, I get everything from Sioux City, but only CBS and NBC come in strong from Sioux Falls, ABC is hit and miss, and Fox is invisable to me. So, all I can say is that for now, if you can, put in the Sioux City DMA into your antenna setup and get Fox out of Sioux City if you can get it.
Yes, I agree, it seems weird to only get the three HD LiL's, but as seen elsewere, this is not at all unusual. Once the transition takes place in Feb, I would think that this may change, until then, all we can do is hope.

BTW, Dish doesn't carry any of Sioux Falls locals in HD, and there is no chance of getting a waiver. I tried several times in the past, without any luck.

So, as I understand it--you have SIoux City Locals in HD from Direct (not from outside antenna?)? I didn't know that Sioux City Locals in HD had been rolled out?

So, I couldn't put Sioux City in my setup if they don't have Locals in HD via Direct.

#12 OFFLINE   Knon2000

Knon2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:13 PM

So, as I understand it--you have SIoux City Locals in HD from Direct (not from outside antenna?)? I didn't know that Sioux City Locals in HD had been rolled out?

So, I couldn't put Sioux City in my setup if they don't have Locals in HD via Direct.

No, I use OTA. If you are within 60-70 miles of Sioux City, you possibly could get some too if you position the antenna right. They have strong signal strength for me.
Proud user of
3 HR20-700's
2 HR20-100's
1 HR10-250
with 3 HR10's on Standby

#13 OFFLINE   bookwalk

bookwalk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:56 PM

Called the Local Fox Affiliate in Sioux Falls and got an interesting answer. His version is that D* did not want to use the location available from the Fox affiliate for uplinking the HD signal--that was BEFORE the Fox affiliate put up a new VHF tower near where the other networks broadcast their digital signals.

He doesn't think DIRECT TV has taken the time to re-evaluate the location of the uplink and their only option for the local Fox Affiliate was for them to pay $2000/month to have their signal uplinked at the location chosen by Direct.

When I called Direct they kept saying it was in the Fox affiliate's or the FCC's hands (this was a lowly CSR) and would not give me another department to speak with.

So, thanks DIRECT--for nothing. Can't you go back and re-evaluate a location for uplinking the signal now that they have a new tower near where the other network affiliates uplink their signal??? My goodness--what's the problem anyway?

I wish I knew who to talk to about this?

#14 OFFLINE   Fluthy

Fluthy

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:23 PM

Very strange that the channels are duplicated, I guess we can hope that they are place holders until they get the HD signal which is hopefully soon. Also, just for those that have not tried in awhile for the FOX HD OTA signal. They are now at there new tower and the signal is stronger than when they were in Sioux Falls. The power is still not great ( COME ON KTTW) but you might want to give it a try, might have a better chance now.

Maybe SATRACER could help in answering the question on if we will get the other channels in HD.

#15 OFFLINE   nestor87

nestor87

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:04 AM

DirecTV and KTTW need to get this squared away. I'm on the verge of switching to cable over this, given how long I waited for HD locals and when I finally get them, I still have no FOX HD. One too many world series in SD.

#16 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:02 PM

I have FOX in HD on channel 88 but it's a long story - obviously not the local version. I've been with DirecTV since 1996.

Now, here's my question for you guys that have Sioux Falls HD locals - do you get KELO (11) in full screen HD? ABS, NBC, and FOX all automatically switch to the full screen version automatically but KELO stays in the other format (have native on and original settings on HD section on receiver). It looks like I get the channel in HD but the pillar box bars remain on the sides. Anyone else or am I doing something wrong?

#17 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:54 PM

Had to email KELO and ask them to flip the switch for HD on the Bama/LSU game. They did.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#18 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

You should also get FOX 398 if you get 88. It has a little better picture as it is MPEG4.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#19 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:21 PM

Update....I didn't do anything differently but in the middle of LSU and Alabama we went to full HD.....not sure why.

ahhhh nevermind....just saw your last post. thanks.

When you say KELO needed to do something, what would that be and why in the hell would they need to be reminded?

#20 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:12 PM

Update....I didn't do anything differently but in the middle of LSU and Alabama we went to full HD.....not sure why.

ahhhh nevermind....just saw your last post. thanks.

When you say KELO needed to do something, what would that be and why in the hell would they need to be reminded?

Apparently they have to do something at a local level to make sure it is HD. I have had to do this before. Not sure technically what needs to be done.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

spam firewall