Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Sioux Falls, SD

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:31 PM

OK, since it's probably you and me and another guy without a computer that really cares, who do I need to e-mail and what do I need to say the next time this happens and you aren't around?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:36 PM

You usually won't catch anyone in the tech dept. I emailed the news line and told them about the problem. Most stations have a breaking news line. Where are you located?
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#23 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:42 PM

I can see the State Capitol from my house.

#24 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:47 PM

I can see the State Capitol from my house.

I'm not far from Storybook Land. :)
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#25 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:06 PM

I'm not far from Storybook Land. :)

and thus Wylie Park............

#26 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:25 PM

:-)
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#27 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:55 PM

Do you think we can ditch out 72.5 dishes now? I'd like to get rid of mine and then get a switch that allows me to run a single line to my HDDVRs.

#28 OFFLINE   deweybroncos

deweybroncos

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:08 PM

Do you think we can ditch out 72.5 dishes now? I'd like to get rid of mine and then get a switch that allows me to run a single line to my HDDVRs.

Somebody told me that we would still get PBS and FOX through the 72.5 yet
Sony Grand Wega 50" with HR20-100
Sony Bravia XBR 40" with HR20-700
R15
DirectvTivoDvr

#29 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:15 AM

I'm not sure but I think they moved our nets off of 72.5. Does anyone want to disconnect the 72.5 line from their multi-switch and see if they still receive the channels? I think that is the only way to know right now. I would like to get rid of mine also.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#30 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:05 PM

I'm not sure but I think they moved our nets off of 72.5. Does anyone want to disconnect the 72.5 line from their multi-switch and see if they still receive the channels? I think that is the only way to know right now. I would like to get rid of mine also.

I just disconnected 72.5. The HD locals are not on 72.5 but if you have a receiver that isn't HD you will still need the 72.5 feed. The wife doesn't care about HD (why is beyond me) and her Tivo has 500 hours of recordings, season passes, etc. on it so I know without asking that we won't be able to drop our 72.5.....even though we have two HD DVRs that would do the exact same thing. Women.

#31 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:10 PM

Somebody told me that we would still get PBS and FOX through the 72.5 yet

It appears that isn't true and makes sense why we now have those channels listed twice on the guide - one for each sat.

I started wondering if it was necessary to unhook the hardware. Shouldn't we be able to reconfigure our settings on the box and have it not see the 72.5?

#32 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:34 PM

I thought about that as well but in some cases it may be easier to disconnect. I have all HD receivers so I can remove my dish.
:-)
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#33 OFFLINE   hahler2

hahler2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:48 PM

I think that the CW is still on the 72.5 sat but I'm not sure. Not a big deal for most people but there is one show on there that I like so I'll hold off. Any word on when they will get the FOX channel in HD? I get the DNS feed of FOX in HD but I would really like to be able to watch the Vikings in HD too.

#34 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:45 AM

Hey hahler2, long time no talk to. I still have all of my DNS and am really not looking forward to losing them. I can't believe we didn't get FOX in HD. Also, KELO does not have any DD. It is only stereo. I have been in contact from time to time with the engineer at KELO so I will ask him about DD.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#35 OFFLINE   hahler2

hahler2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:37 PM

Yeah it has been a long time! Hope things are going good in the big city of Aberdeen. I didn't realize KELO was only stereo. I haven't watched anything on KELO since they turned the HD feeds on. Have you gotten a response yet from the engineers as to why?

#36 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:36 AM

Here is the response that I received from the chief engineer at KELO
:-(

Unfortunately we do not have Dolby 5.1 at this time. I don't believe we
will be getting that until 2010...

Perhaps I Misremembered.

#37 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:48 PM

I also emailed Ed Hoffman at KTTW about FOX not being included in the launch. Following is his response.

We were totally unaware of the change and are looking into it. We were not made aware of the transition and

would be more than happy to let then use or digital signal. We are looking into it to try and see what is going on.

I emailed DirecTv and informed them of Mr. Hoffman's response also. Let's see if something happens. I encourage all of you to email both DirecTv and KTTW. Here is the email address for the General Manager at KTTW. edh@kttw.com
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#38 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:22 PM

Well, Here is the response from DirecTv:

Thanks for writing.

We can't currently offer all of your local channels in HD because our satellite capacity doesn't allow us to do that yet.

We're continuing to expand our HD capacity and hope to offer more HD channels in your area in the near future. However, we cannot comment on channels, national or local, that are in negotiations.

Sincerely,

Perhaps I Misremembered.

#39 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:52 PM

Well, Here is the response from DirecTv:

Thanks for writing.

We can't currently offer all of your local channels in HD because our satellite capacity doesn't allow us to do that yet.

We're continuing to expand our HD capacity and hope to offer more HD channels in your area in the near future. However, we cannot comment on channels, national or local, that are in negotiations.

Sincerely,

What a bunch of crap. I guess the plan of attack was to tell everyone that our local channel wasn't cooperating in hopes we don't research. Once that was exposed then they decided to just to tell the truth......?

Anyway, you may be right about CW being on 72.5 only. I only see it on the guide once and it's not HD so that would make sense. I actually probably stopped checking when I noticed I got the first several without 72.5 connected.

#40 OFFLINE   nestor87

nestor87

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:09 PM

This really sucks. Why would they leave out KTTW, the one station with truly dubious OTA capabilities? Bonehead move.

spam firewall