Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Traverse City-Cadillac, MI

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:53 AM

DMA: Traverse City-Cadillac, MI
Established: 11/6/2008

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   nn8l

nn8l

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:08 PM

WGTU (29) - ABC was in 480 Sunday evening.

#3 OFFLINE   jbuch

jbuch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:25 AM

WGTU (29) - ABC was in 480 Sunday evening.

The same thing happened Saturday night during college football. Has this channel actually had any HD via DirecTv yet?

#4 OFFLINE   jbuch

jbuch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:26 AM

Does anybody have any info as to why CBS is missing?

#5 OFFLINE   nn8l

nn8l

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:26 AM

Yes. I have seen HD programming on WGTU.

#6 OFFLINE   tworivers1

tworivers1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:52 AM

Tonight (Sun) Local A3 Traverse City 29 WGTV ABC (9:00 pm) was supposed to be in HD it was in sd. At about 10:00pm the sound also went out also . Is anyone else in the Traverse City Area having this problem? I notified Directv the knew nothing about it. The sound is still out as of this morning and the scheduled HD program the View is in SD. I just want to find out if anyone else is having the same issues.

#7 OFFLINE   nn8l

nn8l

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:43 AM

It appears WGTU (29) was back to HD Monday evening. I didn't watch anything, just checked the channel a few times.

#8 OFFLINE   nn8l

nn8l

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:57 PM

Anyone else notice that Traverse City ABC & CBS aren't in Dolby 5.1?

#9 OFFLINE   HRJustin

HRJustin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:48 PM

* Channel affected: WPBN channel 7 NBC
* Date: 9/1/09
* Time: Several instances of this problem around these times 12:30am-1:37am and then 2am-4am(most recent observations)

Description of Issue: I only posted the most resent time this has happened above. Last night seemed to be about the worst I have seen this. I have noticed lately that the channel 7 local NBC affiliate has been macro-blocking/going completely black. Occasionally it will stay black with no audio or video for long periods of time. I have also noticed that this channel has small audio/video breakup quite often. It has been ongoing for quite some time now. My thought is that it might be a problem at the local stations uplink to directv. I dont have OTA so I cannot verify if it happens on the main broadcast.

I am pretty sure this has something to do with the channel itself rather then DirecTV. I have checked the signals for the spotbeam my locals come from and its a solid 95%. When it does go black there is no directv searching for signal error message. I have not seen this issue on my other local channels at the same time.
**Living Room - H24-x00** **My Room - HR22-100** **Master Bedroom - R22-100**
***I am in a 72.5 local swap market I do not subscribe to HD access***

**Complete Setup Here**

#10 OFFLINE   HRJustin

HRJustin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:02 AM

I have noticed that lately that fox isnt the HD version of the channel. A more specific time is the premier of house MD. The channel was clearly or not so clear rather standard definition. It was small square postage stamp type image in the center of the TV instead of filling the whole screen.

From what I can tell so far NBC, CBS, and ABC all seem to be the HD version coming through. I have watched HD on FOX before it seems like. I was just wondering why it wasn't HD for House. My friend has just had HD access turned on for his R22 and we were looking forward to watching House in HD.

**Complete Setup Here**

#11 OFFLINE   Frostilicus

Frostilicus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:35 PM

Is it me or has the "Brrrrrip"ing on the audio of TC's locals been a lot worse lately, especially on 29 and 7? I've noticed it on the HR23s at my house and my father's house.

#12 OFFLINE   Frostilicus

Frostilicus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:40 AM

The awful FOX logo that WFQX puts on their HD signal is in the right spot on screen, but it's still windowboxed. Like they were passing an HD signal to Directv, but that their source was SD. Weird.

#13 OFFLINE   HRJustin

HRJustin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:50 AM

The Biiiiirp problem has definitely gotten much worse lately. I noticed it really bad when watching my local news at 11 last night. Only the audio would blank out the video would stay normal. I also watch The Tonight Show with Connan Obrien which also had the issue. I record Late Night with Jimmy Fallon every night and tonight was the worst I have seen the biiiirrrp issue. with all three of these programs I noticed that the audio to mouth sync was off. After each biiiirp the audio would resync for a bit and get worst till the next biiiiirp glitch.

FOX still seems to be the SD feed rather then the HD feed. I would much rather watch programing in HD on FOX one example is House. I also noticed that all of the advertisements on my local FOX affiliate show the changed their channel number. They are now called FOX 32 but the guide still says 33 as the channel number.

**Complete Setup Here**

#14 OFFLINE   nn8l

nn8l

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:31 AM

Yep. The briiip is really bad lately. It was extremely annoying during Sunday Night Football. I guess I'll have to start keeping a log of what channel and when I hear it.

#15 OFFLINE   nn8l

nn8l

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:18 PM

I just received the following email response from TV7&4 engineering.

We are not sure who’s problem it is if it is us or Direct TV. We are troubleshooting it on our end but haven’t found anything wrong with our transport stream here at the studio. Direct TV is getting a direct feed from 9 and 33 because Direct TV’s pickup site is at 9&10 and they are picking us up on an antenna then fibering all the signals to Colorado to their uplink facilities. I have been in contact with Direct TV about this. They pick up CH.29 and CH.7 from two different transmitters. Home viewers with antennas are not complaining and I know some people that watch us on antennas and have not said about any problems. So I don’t know where the problem is for sure.

#16 OFFLINE   jbuch

jbuch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:24 PM

I was wondering if there were any new updates on this. The locals are horrible. I've never seen so many brrrpps. It makes it very annoying to watch certain shows.

#17 OFFLINE   nn8l

nn8l

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:12 AM

I sent an email to D* and they responded that they're aware of the problem and are working on it, but I haven't seen any progress. I'll admit that I'm somewhat of a D* fanboy, but with the audio brrrps and video dropouts at times, I'm waiting to see if this is fixed by the time my contract runs out. I may have to look elsewhere and I never thought I would say that. I really enjoy my D* but its ridiculous to spend the kind of money we have and do on new HDTV equipment and monthly costs and have these kinds of problems. The problem isn't only on the locals. I hear it on the other channels, but just not as often. It is getting very irritating to say the least.

#18 OFFLINE   jbuch

jbuch

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:45 PM

I emailed WWTV (channel 9 & 10) and asked about the brrrp and stuttering and also to inquire why their broadcasts are not in 5.1 but apparently I wasn't important enought to warrent a reply.

#19 OFFLINE   HRJustin

HRJustin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:16 AM

Someone else in this area must have seen this happen. On channel 7 NBC affiliate at 7:59pm 05/10/2010 the new episode of "Chuck" aired. At roughly the 0:39 mark of the recording the feed switched to the ABC affiliate. It continues on the ABC affiliate that was airing "Dancing with the Stars". At the 0:52 mark they finally put up a slide saying "NO NEED TO CALL US." service will be restored as soon as technical difficulties are resolved. please check this channel periodically for status. SORRY FOR THE INTERRUPTION." Then it was finally resolved at the 1:00 mark of the record as soon as chuck was over.

I just wanted to post and say that this has been an ongoing problem time slot. My recordings of Chuck have always had the worst audio and picture freeze Biiirrrrp issues. later on its usually not bad when Late Night with Jimmy Fallon airs just a few audio biiirps. This is the second time have have seen this NBC and ABC crossover. The only other crisscross I have seen before was live right at new years i think but much shorter then this incident. I am sure its something with the feed coming to wherever its uplinked to the satellite. Both the local NBC and ABC are ran by the same broadcasting company.

My recording of House on FOX recorded fine which is at the same time slot as Chuck with very minor audio biirrrp issues. So I know this is nothing wrong with the DVR making these recordings. I am curious if anyone else in this DMA recorded "dancing with the stars" on ABC? and/or chuck and if NBC was broadcast on ABC also?

Edited by HRJustin, 11 May 2010 - 01:23 AM.

**Complete Setup Here**

#20 OFFLINE   couchpotato

couchpotato

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:41 PM

I can't even watch "The Office" or "30 Rock" on NBC anymore because of the constant video freezes & audio drops. This has been an issue for 8 months now, with no response or fix by either the local NBC station or Directv.
4 DTV HR21's
5 DTV H21's
XM XpressRC
Sirius Starmate Replay
Sirius JVC-AVX11 In 05 Pacifica Touring AWD

spam firewall