Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrade to AU9S vs AU9-SL3

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ct_vt_trekker

ct_vt_trekker

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:09 PM

I’ve got an appointment to upgrade to HD on 12/3. I currently have 2 Directivo DVRs and a Phase III antenna that’s mounted to the chimney because that was the only place to get line of sight to the three satellites. It’s the highest point on the house. Trees block any lower mounting and I can’t cut the trees because some are not on my property. I understand that the AU9 -5 LNB (AU9-S) slimline is the standard HD antenna they install now for Connecticut because SD Locals in Connecticut are on Sat 119 . I’m concerned about chimney mounting the AU9 5LNB due to it’s size and weight and how ugly it would be too. The current smaller Phase III dish is almost completely hidden by the antenna when looking at the front of the house, the larger dish won’t be hidden.
My question is if I upgrade both my DVRs to HD instead of just one like I’m planning, will Directv install a Slimline 3LNB (AU9-SL3) so that I won’t need to see Sat 119 any longer? Am I right in figuring if I don’t have SD DVRs, I won’t need access to SD locals , and I won’t need to see Sat 119 any more ? If I don’t need line of sight to Sat 110 or Sat 119 we could mount the Slimline 3 dish lower, maybe to the side of the house at the peak.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:53 PM

Note that the SL5 and SL3 both use the same reflector and thus are both the same size. The only difference is the little LNB assembly at the end of the arm.

You could try and request it, but they are still just rolling out.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...