Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installation from he**

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Supernova66

Supernova66

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:34 PM

I just have to put this out for comment, and suggestions on how I might proceed.

Not long ago I had Direct come out and perform an upgrade to the Slimdish with SWM LNB. Tech ended up "hooking up" all of the cables in the home to the splitter. A new IRD was being installed in my office, but I did not have a TV in the room at that time. No check of the cable to ensure signal, and Tech did not want me to bring a portable TV in to check the signal.:confused:

So, as fate would have it, when I finished my LCD install with running HDMI, the TV was getting no signal. Of course, this prompted a new service call.

Next Tech came in and asked why previous tech did not check signal after installation. Good question eh?

He then went on to ask me why previous tech used old cable, instead of running new stuff? Another shrugged shoulders from me....:scratch:

I end up in my attic looking for cables with the Tech. Finally find cables that had all chopped to he** from previous techs (both D and Direct). We finally find the correct cable and get the signal to the office. Oh, did I mention that I got my butt shocked off by a cable in the attic? Where did that come from??

So, moving on. The tech puts the new SWM power supply in place and the IRD is hooked up. Suddenly smoke fills my entertainment center. Looks like a fried HD DVR IRD. Tech believes issue came from SWM power supply. Attempts another power supply and another HD DVR. Smoke number 2 IRD.

Oh, did I tell you that my 42" LCD was mirrored in my bedroom off the smoked IRD? Smoke one 42" LCD HDMI port. Thank god there are two ports. Oh, thats right, the second IRD smoked the second (and last available) HDMI port on my TV.

So, back to the office where the original problem existed. Here the tech smokes my other 42" LCD (both HDMI ports) from power shorting from cable, through the IRC, through the HDMI cable, to my TV hung on the wall.

By now the Tech is freaked out...he has burned up 2 HD DVR IRD's and 2 42" LCD TVs. He is calling the world for suggestions. The first suggestion was... "check to see that the system was properly grounded during installation"

There was NO GROUND wire anywhere to be found!

Fortunately, I got 2 new TV's from the place I purchased them from since they were within the first 30 days of purchase. A claim was filed to Directv for both of the TV's. I will call and advise they will not need to buy new TV's, but heck... what should they do for me for all of this trouble???

My first post.... and can you believe my luck???:soapbox:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:39 PM

wow, I am sorry.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#3 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:44 PM

I know it's not really a concern since your TVs are getting replaced either way, but it sounds like DirecTV should be footing the bill for the TVs and not the retailer/manufacturer; it wasn't their fault.

After you get that straightened out I'd politely tell them that you've been through a lot of trouble and would like to be taken care of. You should be offered something for your troubles.

#4 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:51 PM

I sort of doubt failing to ground your Directv equipment was the root of your problem.

#5 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:10 PM

I sort of doubt failing to ground your Directv equipment was the root of your problem.

+1 - and did adding a ground fix the problem?

#6 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:12 PM

I wonder what in the attic shocked the OP and was it connected to the feed.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#7 OFFLINE   Supernova66

Supernova66

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:16 PM

The SWM power supply was hooked up, and once I unplugged it the shock went away. I was told that since the system was not grounded, any issue produced by the system would go through the cables seeking ground. Regardless, once this was taken care of (system grounding) all went well.

#8 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:19 PM

Oh, so it was a low-voltage shock. Like David, I assumed it was a 120v shock and that would have been a big safety concern.

#9 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:24 PM

The basic installation shows a sketch of a cottage with an electric meter outside and a clear line of sight.....Your installer was in a new world, installing equipment he had not been trained to use. The folks who could have done your work do not work for HSPs (for long).

Joe

#10 OFFLINE   BUCKMEISTER

BUCKMEISTER

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:58 PM

WOW! And D* was totally against me installing my own dish!..........Too complicated for a normal individual to install! Mine works. :lol:

#11 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,161 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:01 PM

So, like, WTF? Was the PI connected backwards (red connector to the receiver instead of going to the SWM LNB? :confused:

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#12 OFFLINE   thespaceghost

thespaceghost

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:56 PM

There has to be more to this story. First, the moment he fried one of your HDMI ports, he should have walked, or at the very least, you should have sent him away. You shouldn't let a tech "train" on your equipment.

Second, regardless of grounding, if you're burning up TV's and receivers, you have a problem in your electrical system. The only other issue would be the tech feeding the 21v (red outlet) directly into the receiver, and that once again, goes to my first point.

#13 OFFLINE   Supernova66

Supernova66

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:58 PM

Funny thing, the wires were connected correctly. The tech confirmed that when he burned out the second IRD with the same configuration.

Oh... I should mention that we swept the home (only 6 years old) with an outlet checker. Never found any problems with the electrical.

#14 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:45 PM

"Something" isn't right [DUH] and once that's "found" this will make better sense.
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   Supernova66

Supernova66

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:50 PM

Well, all I can say is once the system was properly grounded, all of the issues went away. No more shocks, no more burned up IRDs.

#16 OFFLINE   Cmnore

Cmnore

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:00 PM

DOH!
ROOM 1:
Win7 HTPC - Athlon64 X2 4850e@2.5Gb/ ASUS M3A78-T/BDHD-DVD/ATI HD4670 - 1080p HDMI
HR22-100/AM-21
Sony KDS-60A2000 SXRD LCOS TV
Sony STR-DA5ES/Sony DVP-NS3100ES SACD/DVD

ROOM 2:
XPx64 HTPC - Athlon64 X2 5400+@ 3.2 Gb/ Biostar 790GX A2+/ATI HD4670 - 1080p HDMI
HR21-700/AM-21
Toshiba 42 inch LCD TV

BONUS ROOM:
R22/AM-21
Sony 27" CRT TV
GARAGE:
R22 SD-DVR
Sony 20" CRT TV

SHARED:
SWM-8/slimline DTV dish
Actiontec ADSL wired gateway
Linksys EG005 gigabit switch/OGV200

#17 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:08 PM

Well, all I can say is once the system was properly grounded, all of the issues went away. No more shocks, no more burned up IRDs.

The stray voltage is now going to ground instead of your equipment. It may be working now, but I would still try and figure out where it is coming from. If there was enough voltage there to give you a good shock, then you have a potential fire hazard there.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#18 OFFLINE   clb4g9

clb4g9

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:09 PM

I know it's not really a concern since your TVs are getting replaced either way, but it sounds like DirecTV should be footing the bill for the TVs and not the retailer/manufacturer; it wasn't their fault.

After you get that straightened out I'd politely tell them that you've been through a lot of trouble and would like to be taken care of. You should be offered something for your troubles.

+1.....since these TVs weren't defective from the manufacturer, they really shouldn't be on the hook for them. DirecTV should pony up for your new TVs, not Circuit City/Best Buy/whoever. And DirecTV should take CARE of you.......what a mess!

#19 OFFLINE   thespaceghost

thespaceghost

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:19 PM

If there is stray voltage, then I don't think DTV should be responsible fully. The reason i suggest leaving DTV out of the loop is because this will come back on the tech.

#20 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:36 PM

There has to be more to this story. First, the moment he fried one of your HDMI ports, he should have walked, or at the very least, you should have sent him away. You shouldn't let a tech "train" on your equipment.

Second, regardless of grounding, if you're burning up TV's and receivers, you have a problem in your electrical system. The only other issue would be the tech feeding the 21v (red outlet) directly into the receiver, and that once again, goes to my first point.

Trust me ;) , Swaping PI leads will ONLY take out the tuner in the HR.. Won't even create a wisp of smoke..
He's got a lot more than just the PI power to create noticible smoke..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...