Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installation from he**

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:10 PM

Trust me ;) , Swaping PI leads will ONLY take out the tuner in the HR.. Won't even create a wisp of smoke..
He's got a lot more than just the PI power to create noticible smoke..

I've been waiting for you to "puff in". :)
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:04 PM

I am still having trouble figuring out what could have caused such a problem that it not only killed the IRD, but also the input on the TV. Maybe an incorrect ground someplace - an electrical outlet without a ground that is wired backwards and wasn't an issue until other equipment was connected to it that did have a proper ground. I suspect that there is still a very serious electrical problem someplace in that house, and it is only a matter of time until it causes some other problem.

#23 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:11 PM

My guess is a defective electrical device somewhere in the home. I once had a house where simultaneously touching the metal suspended ceiling frame int he basement and electrical ground would result in a light shock. A meter showed it at about 25 volts. It turned out to be a bad florescent light ballast

#24 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:15 PM

I am still having trouble figuring out what could have caused such a problem that it not only killed the IRD, but also the input on the TV. Maybe an incorrect ground someplace - an electrical outlet without a ground that is wired backwards and wasn't an issue until other equipment was connected to it that did have a proper ground. I suspect that there is still a very serious electrical problem someplace in that house, and it is only a matter of time until it causes some other problem.

Completely agree here.

I have a lot of questions as this just doesn't smell right.

I'd like to know how the wires were ran to the LCDs?
In wall or not?
If in wall are they CL3 rated?
Who ran them?
It was said that the second TV which was mirrored off the first IRD via HDMI in another room. How was that done?

My gut says there is a very, very serious electrial issue somewhere. Either an outlet miswired or a bad ground. Or even worse, if lines were run in wall, some internal wiring may have been damaged when an LCD was mounted. If so, there is a very real risk of fire.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#25 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:31 AM

something had to introduce more than 29v into the system to do this much damage.
working correctly now does not equate to being correct.
if this has happened, what are the odds a kid will get lifted at some point when they go to touch the dvr/tv.
be safe, get this investigated thoroughly please.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#26 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:45 AM

I know it is not necessary but I must echo, please have the home electrical system thoroughly checked.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

spam firewall