Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NPRM and grounding question...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ecrabb

ecrabb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:12 PM

Hi guys,

I'm moving a 5LNB slimline from a temp ground mount to the roof of the garage along with a new OTA antenna. Including the drop from the roof, it'll probably be a 50-60' run from the new location to the point of entry on the house. I'm confused about what I should or shouldn't do with the ground.

I was thinking that where the run drops off the roof of the garage, I'd put in a new grounding rod, and run a #10 from the antenna and dish. From there, I'd bond the rod and the house's main ground with a 30' piece of #6 so I wouldn't have a floating ground. Is that OK?

The point of entry is right next to the house ground rod, so I can ground the ground blocks right there with a short piece of #10.

I didn't think I'd even need the new ground rod, but I read somewhere here that the NEC says 25 feet max for a #10 ground, and I'll be at 50 or 60.

Am I on the right track?

Also, any ideas for a cheap DIY mat to put the two FRM200's on? I was going to order them from Solid Signal, but the price w/shipping was silly. A scrap of EPDM would work perfectly, but I have no idea where I'd get some. A commercial roofing contractor, perhaps?

Thanks!
SC

Attached Thumbnails

• house_sat_ground.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ecrabb

ecrabb

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:03 AM

Wow, 70 views and not a single comment? Let's try this again, only simpler...

Given that I have a 60' run from dish/antenna to point of entry and main ground,

Do I:
1) Run heavy ground all the way from the roof to the main ground, or do I...
2) Add new ground rod where I come off the roof and bond the two together

Thanks,
SC

#3 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:11 AM

Given that I have a 60' run from dish/antenna to point of entry and main ground,

Do I:

Thanks,
SC

The ground block at the point of entry to the house would be the simplest and probably the best solution. A single ground point is always preferrable and would be far less work than adding an additional ground rod and bonding the grounds.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#4 OFFLINE   Bill C

Bill C

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:26 AM

Do I:

Thanks,
SC

I would run dual rg-6 with #17 ground attached from dish to ground block on house by main ground (ground block no more than 20 feet away). #17
ground wire that is attached to dual rg-6 to be bonded at dish foot at one
end and the ground block at other end. Run #10 ground wire from groun d block
to main ground at house.
East Tennessee

#5 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:30 AM

simple answer, ask your local code enforcement officer about requirements. depending on town size he/she may be able to give personal attention.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#6 OFFLINE   ecrabb

ecrabb

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:00 PM

A single ground point is always preferrable and would be far less work than adding an additional ground rod and bonding the grounds.

And less expensive, too!

Bill - Thanks, that's a another idea I hadn't considered.

Dave, I was trying to avoid that as it's nearly impossible to interact with the code guys, here. They're so busy, it takes days just to get a call back. A good idea nevertheless.

Any cheap matt ideas?

Thanks, guys!

SC

spam firewall