Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How important is grounding?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jared701

Jared701

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:20 PM

I got my dish installed about 2 months ago and live in an apartment complex and unless there is some way I don't know aboubt, am unable to ground my dish. I didn't think this was a big deal but after reading a few of these threads I'm starting to wonder. Could this potentially kill my TV? Is there anyway to ground the system safely be unconventional means? I can't attach anything to the building, my porch is wood and I am running my cables under my back door using flat RG6 cables if that makes any difference. I think I read once that you can run the ground inside to a breaker? My circuit breaker is in the bedroom that has the backdoor that the cables go under, so if there is a way to do it there that is relatively flat that may be a possibility, although the wire would have to be run along carpet or drywall inside.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,938 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:25 AM

If you read "that thread", where someone "smoked" way too many things, grounding, or lack of it isn't the cause, as there is "something" else going on.
Grounding is part of "code" and as such is defined a certain way.
Many systems are out there with "zero" ground and are working fine.
Now if you can't have it done per "code", and do want some ground, there are a couple of ways.
The shield of the coax is what is grounded, which connects to the case, so you "could" connect the case to the ground of the AC outlet [if you know what you're doing] or you could use a ground block on the coax and connect it to the outlet ground.
If you're not knowledgeable of this type of work, then get/hire someone that is.
The LAST THING you want to do is make a mistake working around 120 volt AC.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   excalibur26

excalibur26

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:37 AM

..... The LAST THING you want to do is make a mistake working around 120 volt AC.

Hair-raising! :eek:

#4 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:49 AM

Most apartment satellite installations are not grounded. Most of the time it's just not feasibly. The easiest way to achieve a little peace of mind would be to add a surge protecter with DBS connecters. All of them dont pass the required frequencies so you would need to save your receipts and experiment.

You would need to be carefull with your adult beverages and kool aide though, it only takes one instance of beverage abuse to cause smoke around entertainment centers.

#5 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:12 AM

mine ran ungrounded for a bit, no issues. I grounded it just in case. my insurance policy covers entertainment/electronics if properly hooked up.
probably would not be an issue with D* items due to lease, but since it only cost me $15 to it I did.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#6 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:50 AM

None of the three dishes I've had over the last 10+ years have been grounded. The sad thing is that the dish is mounted on the side of the house about 12 feet above the electrical ground stake. I guess I should take the time to run a wire down the wall.

#7 OFFLINE   Jared701

Jared701

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll just leave it ungrounded since I don't really know what I'm doing and I graduate in 1.5 years and will be moving. I can worry about grounding it then.

#8 OFFLINE   DJTheC

DJTheC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:54 AM

Grounding the dish is to drain the static. Some instances, I've worked on ungrounded systems for service calls, I do get jolted from time to time on weak voltages.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...