Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Moving - What do I need to ask for at new house?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Crimson

Crimson

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:45 AM

Just moved.. I left my old dish (5lnb) at my old house. My new house has an existing Phase III sat with 3lnb. I want to get SWM setup at my new house. The house has been wired for DirecTV in all rooms (Apparently BY directv when being remodeled in 2007) but only has 1 output to each room.

What do I need to ask Customer Service for to make sure I get SWM? I got an HR20 and an old RCA-39 TIVO..

I assume I need a new SD DVR to support SWM (R-15? R-16?).. I also need to request a new dish with single output and appropriate SWM equipment? Will they give this to me for free because I am moving or will I need to pay?
Samsung 46" LCD - 4696D
HR22-100
HR20-700

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Crimson

Crimson

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

Spoke with the Movers Connection people and they said they would bring out a new dish, but had no way of ordering the SWM setup? They said if the installer thought it could be used they would use it.. but cannot request it? That seems odd?
Samsung 46" LCD - 4696D
HR22-100
HR20-700

#3 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:08 PM

SWM setups are still only available in select markets. Only way to get one for sure is to order it yourself from something like www.solidsignal.com or contact a member named dave29 on this site...
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:37 AM

Also, DirecTV's business rules only assign SWM dishes to NEW customers. Upgrades and Mover's Connections don't qualify, because there is no program in place to handle the inevitable receiver upgrades, since nearly everyone has "legacy" (non-SWM-compatible) receivers.

Having said that, you *might* be able to talk the installer into using a SWM dish *IF* he has one available and *IF* they aren't tightly controlled in your area (i.e., required to be on the work order to be used). Otherwise, you'll need to purchase a SWM LNB kit on your own and swap it in yourself.

#5 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:25 PM

Also, DirecTV's business rules only assign SWM dishes to NEW customers. Upgrades and Mover's Connections don't qualify, because there is no program in place to handle the inevitable receiver upgrades, since nearly everyone has "legacy" (non-SWM-compatible) receivers.

Having said that, you *might* be able to talk the installer into using a SWM dish *IF* he has one available and *IF* they aren't tightly controlled in your area (i.e., required to be on the work order to be used). Otherwise, you'll need to purchase a SWM LNB kit on your own and swap it in yourself.

I had a movers connect yesterday that had the swm listed on the workorder. However, that could have been the exception instead of the norm. The customer already had the correct equipment (an R16 and two D12s) and was also getting a new hddvr.

I still don't think Crimson qualifies for the swmline as it looks like he doesn't have the required 5 tuners on the account.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:59 PM

The rules for SWM are steadily being relaxed as SWM LNB production increases and more techs are being trained. But different areas of the country are at different stages; some are still sticking to the early rules and some have plenty of SWMs and use them wherever it makes sense.

Still, having non-SWM receivers is going to disqualify any customer, as the SWM LNB has no way to support them, and because DirecTV doesn't want to upgrade receivers for free. Of course, if a customer is willing to pay for receiver upgrade(s), then I'm sure it could be arranged.

#7 OFFLINE   Crimson

Crimson

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:23 AM

Well they sent me an R16 to replace my old RCA 39, so I will have all SWM capable equipment. I guess the installer can decide if he wants to run 2 new wires or give me SWM. Seems kind of stupid to take a house DirecTV wired about 1.5 years ago (Only 1 drop to each part of the house - not sure why they didn't put an updated Dish on though.. its only a Phase III) and have them do more wiring though. There's only 2 wires coming from the current dish as well.. Oh well, seems like a waste of time not to do it that way. I wish I would have the option to request this setup though, even if I had to pay for it.
Samsung 46" LCD - 4696D
HR22-100
HR20-700

spam firewall