Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HR21 Follow-up (swap HR10)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   emania

emania

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:09 AM

Back in February 08 I outlined the offer from D* to swap my HR10 for an HR21, and noted that I felt the terms were not clearly outlined in the initial contact.
That Thread is here

Well, I'd finally finished watching all of the shows on the old tivo, and got around to calling D* to execute the swap - This turned out better than expected - except for one item (see below.)

There would be no installation appointment, and no shipping fee for the new DVR. It (HR21-100) was sent straight to my house for a self-install. No Charge!! The CSR indicated that a recovery kit would be sent for the HR10 - still waiting for that.

Here is the catch, they didn't include the BBCs!! Since I had to call to get the, I didn't try to complete the electronic activation -
I can live w/o them for a bit, since I have my primary HR21 with some space left, but it would be disappointing if this were my primary HD source.

All-in-all, a good deal. now to install the big drive.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:46 PM

Back in February 08 I outlined the offer from D* to swap my HR10 for an HR21, and noted that I felt the terms were not clearly outlined in the initial contact.
That Thread is here

Well, I'd finally finished watching all of the shows on the old tivo, and got around to calling D* to execute the swap - This turned out better than expected - except for one item (see below.)

There would be no installation appointment, and no shipping fee for the new DVR. It (HR21-100) was sent straight to my house for a self-install. No Charge!! The CSR indicated that a recovery kit would be sent for the HR10 - still waiting for that.

Here is the catch, they didn't include the BBCs!! Since I had to call to get the, I didn't try to complete the electronic activation -
I can live w/o them for a bit, since I have my primary HR21 with some space left, but it would be disappointing if this were my primary HD source.

questions..
Do you have a 5lnb dish?
do you need B Band converters
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:25 PM

The fulfillment warehouse that DirecTV sends their equipment from handles replacement receivers exclusively. The vast majority are replacing a "like" receiver, so only receivers are sent. Unfortunately, there's no process in place to handle "exceptions", like you changing from one type of receiver to another. That's been an issue for some time, but apparently it isn't a problem often enough for DirecTV to spend the time and money to solve it up-front.

#4 OFFLINE   leesweet

leesweet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:17 PM

There's a sticky thread on this in the 'Legacy Receiver' forum... I just went through this and asked repeatedly if the BBCs were included. 'Everything you need is in the box.' As stated here, it's the same as a receiver swap, and you are supposed to already have them if you need them (SWM users don't need them).

Here's my experience

You can order them here; it says 10-15 days or something, I don't know how long it really takes. I just ordered four for my two HR21s that replaced my two HR10s.

http://directv.qrs1....bbc/bbcForm.jsp
-Lee
Want to see my setup?

#5 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:24 PM

call them, takes 3 days max. done this twice.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:03 PM

That Thread is here

You will never get a recovery kit... they have no reason to spend the money to get back an old tivo... Just make sure they disconnected it and aren't charging you for it... They forgot to disconnect it when I did a swap once...

#7 OFFLINE   leesweet

leesweet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:57 AM

Well, the semi-consensus in the sticky thread is pay the $5 to run the HR10s until they croak IF you record much OTA, since they are fine for that.

If you want DVRs more for the MPEG-4, then, sure, verify they removed the HR10s.

But for those that upgraded their HR10s back when and just wanted the promised free HR2x machines that they are finally delivering, this is the best of both worlds.
-Lee
Want to see my setup?

#8 OFFLINE   emania

emania

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:13 PM

Thank you all for the insight.
I considered keeping my HR-10 alive, and i even have the old dish, so i could add DTV to my garage! but decided to shut it down. If they don't send a box for it in a couple of months, it'll go via auction.

There are only a few OTA stations where I am (half way between NYC and Philly) that are not available via DTV, until that changes, I didn't even bother putting up the antenna (i have one, for some reason - musta had some extra change in the pocket that day)

according to the DTV website, the BBCs order is complete but not shipped. ok, it was a w/e, i can cut them a break. Strange that there are not notes for this "offer" that tell the CSR to add the BBCs. Ah well.

thanks again.
p

spam firewall