Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upcoming XM Channel Changes

• Please log in to reply
338 replies to this topic

#321 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,649 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:13 PM

I don't know what or who controls what Directv can or can't have? I think Sirius XM is keeping what they think are some good channels away from D* so people will have to sub to them instead of hearing the channels on D*. Which when you think about it isn't a bad policy.

if it took them this long to realize that then they are stupider than i thought.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#322 OFFLINE   Artwood

Artwood

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:01 AM

I know that there aren't any terrestrial radio stations in the US that broadcast multi-channel.

Is it technologically conceivable that multi-channel could ever be broadcast over satellite?

I wish I could have XM in 5.1--is that a dream that won't happen by 2100?

#323 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:24 AM

Is it technologically conceivable that multi-channel could ever be broadcast over satellite?

I wish I could have XM in 5.1--is that a dream that won't happen by 2100?

XM has been broadcasting in 5.1 for years: http://www.xmradio.com/hd/

#324 OFFLINE   YKW06

YKW06

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:25 PM

XM has been broadcasting in 5.1 for years: http://www.xmradio.com/hd/

Yeah, but that's two stations -- noooo, excuse me, now it's one -- and you need one of about seven units ever actually manufactured to receive the broadcasts. And that assumes our new satrad overlords continue to devote double the bitrate allocation of normal channels to the lone remaining 5.1 station.

#325 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:30 AM

Yeah, but that's two stations -- noooo, excuse me, now it's one

How many stations actually play music that would be available in 5.1? One. So... what's the big deal?

#326 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:43 AM

Why would you want XM in 5.1? Very little content is even available in 5.1 (go see how much of what you listen to is available in SACD or DVD-A... and not even all that is 5.1). I agree with Jeremy... one station would probably be enough for what little is available. You certainly wouldn't want them simulating 5.1 from a stereo source... that's a waste of bandwidth, and forces the listener into THEIR surround preference as opposed to letting the listener choose it himself with his own equipment.

IMO, multichannel music came too late. By the time the platforms became available, people were already entrenched in stereo MP3. Convenience won over quality.
Friends don't let friends buy PPV.

#327 OFFLINE   Artwood

Artwood

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:30 PM

Just like number of cable channels trumps quality--sounds familiar!

#328 OFFLINE   petergaryr

petergaryr

Passed away April 24, 2010

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:30 PM

Well, I know it is a limited audience, but I listen to the classical station a lot and do have a Denon receiver that can process Neural. The surround effect adds a nice dimension to the sound, especially on full orchestral ones.

#329 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:55 PM

if it took them this long to realize that then they are stupider than i thought.

You got that right :righton: They shouldn't have as much as they do on D*/E*. Make subs pay them instead of Sat. TV providers :rolleyes:

#330 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:53 PM

They shouldn't have as much as they do on D*/E*.

Yeah! Take away these channels I get for free! Make me pay for them instead!

:nono2:

#331 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:22 PM

Does anyone know if Directv has completed the music channels additions and revisions? I keep hoping that they will add something similar to the removed "High Standards" channel but nothing has yet been forthcoming. The current channels don't have much to offer to those of us who are not fans of all the pop/rock dreck.
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

#332 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 650 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:35 PM

Is Elvis Radio on Directv?:confused:

#333 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:44 PM

Is Elvis Radio on Directv?:confused:

No.

#334 OFFLINE   psuscott0483

psuscott0483

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:14 PM

i searched for a thread about directv xm channels hoping to find any news if they will bring any back after some complaints but i got sidetracked: holy **** do all stern fans really have the same ego as him?!? "stern invented everything, ever" "stern is the best thing that ever happened" "stern is the only reason satellite radio is still around" "stern invented satellite radio" "opie and anthony are terrible and stern is awesome" "stern is copied by everyone all the time everywhere" "stern stern stern" :nono2::nono2::nono2:

I'd hate to see what you consider hip and with it then.... after all, Opie & Anthony copy his show, just do the exact same things the next day... Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader is something Stern did 20 years ago. Jay Leno robs his show with his news headlines and "Jay-Walking" skits. David Letterman robbed his show for the cut-up audio books/speeches and piece them together to form new statements.... upon many many other things that are popular in today's media. I think he's just too far ahead of the curve for your tastes....

Musically and talk-show wise, Sirius trumps XM... with only maybe 2 channels being better than their Sirius counterpart. Sirius buying XM is possibly the best thing to happen to satellite radio, with only Stern going to Sirius being in the running for something better.

Man you can't be more wrong!!Stern is the only reason why people even care about radio.

DIRECTV since 2005
Premier Package + MRV + NHL Center Ice + NFL Sunday Ticket
HR34-700
HR24-500
H21-100
H23-600 x 3
H24-100 x 4
H25-500
Setup | Setup Diagram

#335 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

The quotes that you replied to are from last year. Please get over yourself and your apparent hatred of Howard Stern and his fans.

#336 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:12 PM

Was wondering why this thread was bumped up, hoping some channels had been added. D'oh.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#337 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:29 AM

Was wondering why this thread was bumped up, hoping some channels had been added. D'oh.

Me, too. I miss the "High Standards" channel.

Visited my daughter in Florida last week. They have Dish TV, which seems to have a more interesting set of music channels -- Hawaiian music and instrumentals, to name two.

I
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#338 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:16 PM

Damn y'all, gettin' my hopes up for a Radio Margaritaville addition!! Ugh...
Nathan
setup:
- 50" Plasma 1080p HDTV (Samsung PN50A760), 46" LCD 1080p HDTV (Samsung LN-T4665F), 32" LCD 720p HDTV (Insignia). 1 Hopper, 2 Joeys.

#339 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,480 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:25 PM

Damn y'all, gettin' my hopes up for a Radio Margaritaville addition!! Ugh...

You want Margaritaville?? Use TVersity and stream it from their web site, to your HR2X box via "Music Photos and More". Works great.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...