Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Roof

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jestr40

Jestr40

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:34 PM

I am going to have a new roof put on my house in a couple weeks. The contractor said its a 50-50 chance that the dish (slimline) will be aligned after they re-place it in the exact same spot. I have a couple of questions.

1) I have the protection plan, will D* realign even for something that is clearly of my doing?

2) The insurance pays to have the dish re-installed but the contractor says they keep most of this money because they are actually re-installing the dish. Has anyone worked through this with a contractor and D*?

3) I have the 72.5 dish also on my roof, but we were recently upgraded to HD locals and I am pretty sure I don't need this dish anymore. Is it safe to leave it off after the roof replacement?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:12 PM

To get a definite answer on #1 and #3 you should call DirecTV.

And #2 sounds reasonable.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,033 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:17 PM

I would give it a 50-50 chance you get any signal at all, no way it will be peaked. To answer your questions;
1) No, the protection plan does not cover this situation however some people ahve reported getting the dish realigned for no charge under the PP

2) I would have the roofing contractor take it off and leave it off, let the DirecTV contractor reinstall it and pay the insurance money to DirecTV

3) You can leave the 72.5 dish off, however you will then lose your SD locals (at least for now, the belief is that locals on 72.5 will be moving)

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:59 PM

As you remove the dish..........open the rear bolts ONLY. Leave the elevation and tilt untouched. Before you remove the mast look to see if it is plumb. If not don't worry......you will just have to adjust the el a little.

After (or during) roofing have the mast reattached and waterproofed to the new roof. Set the mast to plumb and replace the dish. You will have to tune the azimuth (compass direction).

Not too tough!

Joe

#5 OFFLINE   Jestr40

Jestr40

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:20 PM

3) You can leave the 72.5 dish off, however you will then lose your SD locals (at least for now, the belief is that locals on 72.5 will be moving)

We don't get NBC in HD yet, however it shows in my guide twice both in SD. I assumed that the second listing was coming from the new sat, is this correct?
I plan to call to set an appointment with D* as soon as I get a firm date that the roof will be done, then hope it doesn't rain.

#6 OFFLINE   Jestr40

Jestr40

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:23 PM

As you remove the dish..........open the rear bolts ONLY. Leave the elevation and tilt untouched. Before you remove the mast look to see if it is plumb. If not don't worry......you will just have to adjust the el a little.

After (or during) roofing have the mast reattached and waterproofed to the new roof. Set the mast to plumb and replace the dish. You will have to tune the azimuth (compass direction).

Not too tough!

Joe

I'm planning to have them only remove the mounting bolts and leave all the adjustment bolts alone, then just put it back in the same spot. However we are talking about tenths of inches so who knows???

#7 OFFLINE   thespaceghost

thespaceghost

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:00 PM

Not too tough!

Joe

That won't work although he might get lucky.

If you have the PP, you or the contractor put it back up. If you can get your signals the way they should be, great!. If not, once you have the dish back up, call DTV and tell them you are not getting signal and you had some wind in the area.

#8 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:06 PM

I'm planning to have them only remove the mounting bolts and leave all the adjustment bolts alone, then just put it back in the same spot. However we are talking about tenths of inches so who knows???

You will be ok,

We can talk you down.
Before you dismantle your rig go into menu and setup and view signal meter.
Familiarize yourself with the meter readings on all the sats you are now using especially 99c, 101 and 103c. The others are not real important to you.
Practice changing sats to get readings on all of them.

The other thing you might do is go to the TV /DTV receiver and turn up the volume on that TV.......can you hear it at the dish? If not you want to rig either some cell phones or a baby monitor or some kind =of landline / cell arrangement so you can hear the meter while you are at the dish.

Consider a TV output to a real big surround sound stereo rig........let the whole neighborhood know you are tuning!

OR look for a real small TV you can rig near the dish........do not buy a meter at this point.

It'll be ok.

Joe

#9 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:10 PM

I'd have the roofer (or you) remove the dish.

Have the roofer install a commdeck mount in the same place or wherever you want the dish.

Pay DirecTv the $50 for them to come out and remount & reaim the dish for you.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#10 OFFLINE   Jared701

Jared701

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:51 PM

I would give it a 50-50 chance you get any signal at all, no way it will be peaked. To answer your questions;
1) No, the protection plan does not cover this situation however some people ahve reported getting the dish realigned for no charge under the PP

2) I would have the roofing contractor take it off and leave it off, let the DirecTV contractor reinstall it and pay the insurance money to DirecTV

I believe any channels he did not have locally in HD he will still have. My SD locals come from 72.5 but then they added our market in HD (ABC and CBS only) and now I get off of my locals except CW but we get a national feed of that through D*.

#11 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:50 PM

That won't work although he might get lucky.

If you have the PP, you or the contractor put it back up. If you can get your signals the way they should be, great!. If not, once you have the dish back up, call DTV and tell them you are not getting signal and you had some wind in the area.

That will work!

You don't even have to blame the wind.

Joe

#12 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:52 PM

if it doesn't work just give it a little smack on left side of dish :)
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#13 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:03 PM

Just a note for those trying to "work the system". If the tech determines that the issue was "customer caused", he can close the job as such. The customer will be billed for the service call. The tech is supposd to advise the customer of such before any work is done.

So, just be honest.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#14 OFFLINE   Jestr40

Jestr40

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:37 PM

Just a note for those trying to "work the system". If the tech determines that the issue was "customer caused", he can close the job as such. The customer will be billed for the service call. The tech is supposd to advise the customer of such before any work is done.

So, just be honest.

Yeah, I'm not going to lie to anybody. It is funny that the hail storm killed the roof but my dish is still perfect.

#15 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:55 PM

if it doesn't work just give it a little smack on left side of dish :)

That has worked for me!

An when you consider the back log of service calls in some areas.........getting good with the tools couldn't hurt.

Joe

#16 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:20 PM

Have the roofer install a commdeck mount in the same place or wherever you want the dish.

This is exactly what I would recommend. Have the roofers install the Commdeck, and have DirecTV install the dish. Everyone will be better off.

Get Commdeck here.

spam firewall