Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cancelling Free HBO and Starz !

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   andyin137

andyin137

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:15 PM

Well I am auctually cancelling really close to the 3 month free offer,because in the last 3 months I have had these Channels is nothing but constant repeats and also Starz on Demand is a Joke.Anyone else fed up with HBO and Starz.The 22.00 a month would be better spent on Netflix.Dummy me for signing up for additional 24 month commitement.Just a warning to those who think this is a good deal.Its Not.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:23 PM

Well, at least you are not out any money. I like to watch the fights on hbo so it is worth it to me.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#3 OFFLINE   chainblu

chainblu

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:24 PM

No offense, but it would take a lot more than 3 months free HBO and Starz to lock me in for 24 months.

#4 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:30 PM

My current contract started on 8-8-08 os it was not a big deal to me.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#5 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:54 PM

Well I am auctually cancelling really close to the 3 month free offer,because in the last 3 months I have had these Channels is nothing but constant repeats and also Starz on Demand is a Joke.Anyone else fed up with HBO and Starz.The 22.00 a month would be better spent on Netflix.Dummy me for signing up for additional 24 month commitement.Just a warning to those who think this is a good deal.Its Not.

Personally I like the premiums. No mess no fuss.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,492 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

HBO, Showtime and Starz can only be considered worthwhile if one enjoys their series shows (including miniseries). If you want the series shows then the movie offerings make it worthwhile.

If you want movies, the 1¢ Cinemax is a good deal, but otherwise DVD's through Netflix or others is a far cheaper way to go.

#7 OFFLINE   andyin137

andyin137

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:32 PM

A fair warning to all considering this special offer.I went ahead and did this offer for 3 months(marked on my calendar what day I started and cancelled before 3 months were up),or so I thought.I called to have HBO and Starz removed and had to call back 3 times in order to auctually have removed from programming.Yes they did charge me a program removal fee(free offers shouldnt have downgrade fee)also charged me extra days for service when they should have cancelled.I am going to call and fight extra charges ,but at his time I need to cool off from the last 3 times I have had to call,frustrating dealing with hard to understand CSRs.
Even though I am on a contract with Dish if I have any more issues with them I will cancel(Just cancel Credit Card they use before cancelling account.Also they can try and charge you but I have been told from 2 of the credit reporting agencies that Dish cannot report you on the credit report.Just let them try as long as they get all equipment back I have heard people negotiating out of Contract.

#8 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:44 PM

I cancelled mine as well. Nothing really good one lately anyway. Not into ANY of the current series, plus I have about 120 movies saved on my EHD from when I did have the channels which should keep my going for about 6 months...for free.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#9 OFFLINE   nostalgiaguru

nostalgiaguru

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:37 AM

A fair warning to all considering this special offer.I went ahead and did this offer for 3 months(marked on my calendar what day I started and cancelled before 3 months were up),or so I thought.I called to have HBO and Starz removed and had to call back 3 times in order to auctually have removed from programming.Yes they did charge me a program removal fee(free offers shouldnt have downgrade fee)also charged me extra days for service when they should have cancelled.I am going to call and fight extra charges ,but at his time I need to cool off from the last 3 times I have had to call,frustrating dealing with hard to understand CSRs.
Even though I am on a contract with Dish if I have any more issues with them I will cancel(Just cancel Credit Card they use before cancelling account.Also they can try and charge you but I have been told from 2 of the credit reporting agencies that Dish cannot report you on the credit report.Just let them try as long as they get all equipment back I have heard people negotiating out of Contract.

When I cancelled, there was no downgrade fee. Are you sure you are not looking at another fee?

#10 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:01 AM

HBO, Showtime and Starz can only be considered worthwhile if one enjoys their series shows (including miniseries). If you want the series shows then the movie offerings make it worthwhile.

If you want movies, the 1¢ Cinemax is a good deal, but otherwise DVD's through Netflix or others is a far cheaper way to go.

Netflix is the best deal. You get all the movies for $17. Even the premium channels series eventually make it to Netflix. Throw in the streaming capabilities and it's no contest.

Now if they had all premium channels for say $20 to $25 that would be very competitive.
Put me down! Put me down! Come on put me down!

Kiva.org

#11 OFFLINE   GioGambino

GioGambino

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:10 AM

Netflix is the best deal. You get all the movies for $17. Even the premium channels series eventually make it to Netflix. Throw in the streaming capabilities and it's no contest.

Now if they had all premium channels for say $20 to $25 that would be very competitive.

Agreed. I have been a Netflix customer for almost 5 years and I haven't looked back. I would never pay upwards of $30 dollars for the premiums where you are limited to whatever they are showing.

Just keep in mind if you want HD capabilities by renting Blu-Ray's off Netflix, they are now charging an extra $1 per month. So it's like $18 per month now if you rent Blu-Ray. But still, that's a drop in the bucket and still a far better deal than getting the premiums on Dish.

#12 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:14 AM

Also they can try and charge you but I have been told from 2 of the credit reporting agencies that Dish cannot report you on the credit report.

That would be incorrect. They are not lending you money so they would not be able to report you as not paying your credit obligations. However, you have a contract with them and you'd owe them whatever amount it is. If you don't pay them, they can send you to collections and that would appear in your credit report. Even if you feel that you are right, even if you ARE right, they can screw up you credit worthiness.

I know from experience, last time I bought a house I had to pay the cable company for equipment that I had returned years ago. In years prior, they insisted that they never got their equipment when I switched to Dish. I fought them and told them I would not pay because I had returned the equipment. It made it to my credit report as a collections amount. Years later my loan was held up until I paid the cable company and had a receipt from them to show the mortgage lender. It was less than $100 but it almost cost me my new house.
Put me down! Put me down! Come on put me down!

Kiva.org

#13 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:06 PM

Personally I like the premiums. No mess no fuss.

Well, yeah, the good thing about them is there is no disc to lose or having it get damaged and having to pay for it.

#14 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:41 PM

Well, yeah, the good thing about them is there is no disc to lose or having it get damaged and having to pay for it.

A small amount of effort is required to not lose or damage a disk - same as with a Sat receiver. :grin:

I pay $14.83 a month for about 25 disks per month. A "disk" might be a DVD movie or it might be 2-4 episodes of an HBO or Showtime TV series.

#15 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:12 PM

AT&T U-verse has U-400 which includes every premium channel that HBO, SHOW, STARZ, all in HD, plus lots of national channels for $99.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

Protected By... spam firewall...And...