Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

XM Channel Changes on DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:22 PM

The channel changes for DirecTV XM listeners are starting to show up in the EPG, if you scroll to Tuesday night at midnight ET. It is still a work in progress, but in case you listen at all on your TV, heads up!
1002.2 dish with VIP211k receiver

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:57 PM

The channel changes for DirecTV XM listeners are starting to show up in the EPG, if you scroll to Tuesday night at midnight ET. It is still a work in progress, but in case you listen at all on your TV, heads up!

I wonder if the changes will free anything up at DirecTV for TV channels? I have always wanted D* to drop XM. If I want to listen to radio I will turn on a radio. When I turn on D* I expect TV. I know the business XM is/was probably a money maker for D* so I knew they wouldn't drop that. But I have hoped that they would cut the public XM stations. May be now the stations will be cut for them ;)

#3 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:10 AM

Dolly,
The bandwidth for all the XM channels is probably the same as one of those 24x7 shopping channels.

You're not losing anything by having them there, PLUS they attact new customers, which helps keep your costs down.

#4 OFFLINE   ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:25 AM

I wonder if the changes will free anything up at DirecTV for TV channels? I have always wanted D* to drop XM. If I want to listen to radio I will turn on a radio. When I turn on D* I expect TV. I know the business XM is/was probably a money maker for D* so I knew they wouldn't drop that. But I have hoped that they would cut the public XM stations. May be now the stations will be cut for them ;)

Sorry, Dolly, but there are many of us who do enjoy XM as part of the service and since they are audio, the bandwidth is minimal. You get music audio channels no matter if you subscribe to cable or satellite, they all offer something like that.
1002.2 dish with VIP211k receiver

#5 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:29 AM

I have always wanted D* to drop XM. If I want to listen to radio I will turn on a radio.

You clearly don't listen to terrestrial radio. There's no radio in my area that compares to The Loft.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#6 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:39 AM

Dolly - My 70+ year old father uses sat radio all the time. He loves the jazz channels, something he can't get on any AM/FM stations where he lives. It really improves the quality of his (difficult) life.

#7 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:59 PM

Dolly - My 70+ year old father uses sat radio all the time. He loves the jazz channels, something he can't get on any AM/FM stations where he lives. It really improves the quality of his (difficult) life.

Well I'm happy for your father, but I think this merger has been awful from the beginning. And what I'm hearing about the new music stations doesn't make me feel any better. However, what I find interesting is the stations on D*'s guide (advanced to the proper time) don't match what I have heard will be on a Sirius XM Radio. Can D* get one thing and a person's radio something else :confused: Or may be D*'s guide doesn't have all the changes yet :confused: Actually I like the line up D* is showing better than the one that is supposed to be on the radio :rolleyes:

#8 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:08 PM

Actually if you really want to make room for more TV channels, The Tennis Channel and The Tennis Channel HD could be dropped as well...If I wanted to watch tennis, I'd go to a tennis court.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#9 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:20 PM

Actually if you really want to make room for more TV channels, The Tennis Channel and The Tennis Channel HD could be dropped as well...If I wanted to watch tennis, I'd go to a tennis court.

They don't have any Tournaments in my area or believe me I would go. There is nothing like seeing sports--any sports--IMHO live. You get a pass from me on your comment because I know you didn't want this radio merger either.

#10 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:36 PM

I was against the merger, I still am, I don't like what is happening currently, and I more than likely won't like the final outcome, but that's irrelevant and that does not mean, Sirius XM should go under, be removed from DirecTV or anything else. Digital music services have been on satellite and digital cable now forever, they are a part of the offerings, and just because you don't like them or find them of value does not mean they should be removed. I wasn't too thrilled when the DirecTV/XM deal was announced a few years ago, since I already had XM and enjoyed Music Choice, that essentially took away a lot of the variety I had at my disposal, but I have that back now.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#11 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:10 AM

Well I didn't like Music Choice on D* so I'm not just picking on Sirius (XM). And I'm glad for those of you that enjoy music on TV that D*, E* or Cable does provide it for you. I just don't like it myself that is IMO only.
And anyone/everyone has the perfect right to disagree with me on this subject. I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind and no one is going to change my mind on this subject. So I think we can just agree to disagree.

#12 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:35 AM

Well, one thing we can all agree on on is that whatever music source that DirecTV uses, it has absolutely no impact on the number of video channels they can carry, unless they all of the sudden start sending music out in Dolby True HD or something. I think XM alltogether does not even use as much bandwidth as one SD video channel.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...