Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Using HD dish for Standard Reception Receiver

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stevieray

stevieray

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:26 PM

I am installing an HD dish and using it with a sd receiver until I can afford to buy and HDTV and upgrade to an HD receiver. Would the azmith and elevation settings be the same if i am just trying to hit the 119 satellite? What should the tilt be? Which transponder to I need to tune and tweak for optimum reception?
I am in Memphis, TN. Thanks for your response.

Steve

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:34 PM

I am installing an HD dish and using it with a sd receiver until I can afford to buy and HDTV and upgrade to an HD receiver. Would the azmith and elevation settings be the same if i am just trying to hit the 101 satellite? What should the tilt be? Which transponder to I need to tune and tweak for optimum reception?
I am in Memphis, TN. Thanks for your response.

Steve

elevation and azmuth would be same, no need to tilt
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,239 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:43 PM

If you are installing the 5 LNB Slimline dish, go ahead and adjust tilt and elevation, and go through the peaking for both 101 and 119. That way you will at least be close when it comes time for an HD upgrade. If you do not properly align for 101, 110 and 119, then make sure you tell the receiver you are only using a round 18" dish.

#4 OFFLINE   stevieray

stevieray

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:57 AM

Which transponder should I try to peak? I don't have a meter and will be using the R15 receiver to adjust.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,239 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:30 AM

For the most part it doesn't matter. Start with 101 tp 1 or 101 tp2. Once you've peaked it, check one or two other tranpsonders. On 119, use tp 17 or 18, then again check others.

There are spot beams on both satellites, so there will be some transponders that may be very low or zero. As long as most are high (80's or higher), you will be good.

#6 OFFLINE   stevieray

stevieray

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:15 PM

I cannot get a signal. I am using a 3LNB dish with 4 outputs with a SD receiver. I was told that I didn't need to use a multiswitch if i was going to 1 dvr (r-15). this dish was used and was given to me by a friend. Maybe a bad LNB? Any ideas??

#7 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:28 PM

Make sure the mast is plumb/level. Set the dish to the alignment given by the receiver for your zip code, then swing it slowly from side to side in the general SW direction. You should be able to get 101 that way fairly easily.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#8 OFFLINE   stevieray

stevieray

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:12 PM

I have done all of that. Do I need a multiswitch??

#9 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:41 AM

No, multiswitch is only required when you need more outputs.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:52 AM

Try dishpointer.com. It is a google maps front end for accurately aiming your dish. Choose DirecTV 3 LNB from the satellite menu. Set the elevation and tilt using the respective numbers. As Grentz suggests, a plumb mast is imperative for long-term reliable service and easy aiming. You're shooting at a target that is thousands of miles away, so you can't cut corners.

If this is the first time you've used a compass, make sure you understand the difference between true and magnetic azimuth numbers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...