Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV’s HD tuner set to debut with Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:10 PM

It is being reported that Windows 7 contains a native driver for the "DirecTV HDPC20"!!!
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

good news......
HR34-700, HR24-500, HR22-100, HR20-100, R22-100, R16

My Setup

Diagram of my Directv setup by Milkman

#3 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,527 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:07 PM

Well....that takes care of 1/2 the holdup........:D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#4 OFFLINE   Hansen

Hansen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:14 PM

That's encouraging info. I figured that had gotten moth-balled.

#5 OFFLINE   epi

epi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

I had not seen this posted here yet. Ed Bott at zdnet.com has an article on the Directv's HD tuner in Windows 7.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=597

#6 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 884 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:04 PM

I had not seen this posted here yet. Ed Bott at zdnet.com has an article on the Directv's HD tuner in Windows 7.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=597

Despite the rumblings at the time, and more every time some 'sighting' of one piece or another of this, up to the current sloberings (my term) over DirectPC2TV over in the DVR forum, the upshot of ALL and ANY of this to the typical consumer is....

ZERO. Let me say that again, as one of the first people to get an MCSE (after years with Novel, CompTIA, Cisco, certs et. al.), in the real 'non-techie' world, ZERO.

There may be folks here in this forum that desire to 'play around' with such things, but the vast majority of DirecTV folks out there could CARE LESS.

Before I retired, most folks I worked around, and in fact most of my neighbors I talk to on a weekly basis (9 of 10 have DirecTV), want nothing whatsoever to do with a computer in their home, much less connected to their sat TV or home theater system.

These are not anti-tech folks. In fact, about half of them are either Boeing or Microsoft engineers!

When DirecTV rolls out MRV, they say 'give us a call; don't bother us until then'.

I agree, even as I sit here at the rear of my home theater surrounded by four networked high-end PC's, listening/watching a 'New Order' concert DVD blare (511, a really superb DTS mix) out from my HD monitor and 2KW surround speaker system.

Until then, every little off-track 'project' they get involved with is... a total waste of time and effort. As I've run many major projects (software and hardware) over the years, I don't buy the argument that all these off-shoots are 'stepping stones' to MRV. It's a waste of time, effort, and (especially now) money.

And Vapor-Ware, as the article correctly points out.

#7 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:10 AM

Until then, every little off-track 'project' they get involved with is... a total waste of time and effort.

So because they're not completely focused on providing the feature you want, they're wasting their time with everything else? Give me a break.

And if you don't think DirecTV2PC is a stepping stone to MRV, then you obviously don't understand the underlying technology very well at all.

#8 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:37 AM

Despite the rumblings at the time, and more every time some 'sighting' of one piece or another of this, up to the current sloberings (my term) over DirectPC2TV over in the DVR forum, the upshot of ALL and ANY of this to the typical consumer is....

ZERO. Let me say that again, as one of the first people to get an MCSE (after years with Novel, CompTIA, Cisco, certs et. al.), in the real 'non-techie' world, ZERO.

There may be folks here in this forum that desire to 'play around' with such things, but the vast majority of DirecTV folks out there could CARE LESS.

Before I retired, most folks I worked around, and in fact most of my neighbors I talk to on a weekly basis (9 of 10 have DirecTV), want nothing whatsoever to do with a computer in their home, much less connected to their sat TV or home theater system.

These are not anti-tech folks. In fact, about half of them are either Boeing or Microsoft engineers!

When DirecTV rolls out MRV, they say 'give us a call; don't bother us until then'.

I agree, even as I sit here at the rear of my home theater surrounded by four networked high-end PC's, listening/watching a 'New Order' concert DVD blare (511, a really superb DTS mix) out from my HD monitor and 2KW surround speaker system.

Until then, every little off-track 'project' they get involved with is... a total waste of time and effort. As I've run many major projects (software and hardware) over the years, I don't buy the argument that all these off-shoots are 'stepping stones' to MRV. It's a waste of time, effort, and (especially now) money.

And Vapor-Ware, as the article correctly points out.

I'm terribly sorry we bore you with our excitement...

Give me a media center PC with storage limited only by the size of the drives I put in it and a DirecTV tuner and I will be extremely happy, but then again, we wouldn't want to bore you with any of this..
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
i'm a PC Guy

#9 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 884 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:35 AM

So because they're not completely focused on providing the feature you want, they're wasting their time with everything else? Give me a break.

And if you don't think DirecTV2PC is a stepping stone to MRV, then you obviously don't understand the underlying technology very well at all.

Excuse me, but first of all, you and others apparently don't talk to real users. If you did, you'd see the same lack of excitement for anything to do with 'PC' attachment to DirecTV systems, period. I have yet to meet a SINGLE person who would do it, outside of this forum.

And to not understanding the 'underlying technology', excuse me there as well. I helped develop the ORIGINAL Mpeg2 encoders for DirecTV at Compression Labs (San Jose, CA), in the late 80's/early 90's. So, I think I have a bit more than passing grip on exactly what is 'necessary'. BTW, we developed some of the original networked digital video systems that are now used by Cisco in their video teleconferencing systems.

So, in the real world, users are waiting for, like I said, a real, USABLE, networked system, SANS PC's. I stand with them; when it's ready, give us a call.

#10 OFFLINE   mjones73

mjones73

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:45 AM

:rolleyes:

Don't call us then, we'll call you...

#11 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:54 AM

:rolleyes:

Don't call us then, we'll call you...

+1
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
i'm a PC Guy

#12 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:03 AM

Excuse me, but first of all, you and others apparently don't talk to real users. If you did, you'd see the same lack of excitement for anything to do with 'PC' attachment to DirecTV systems, period. I have yet to meet a SINGLE person who would do it, outside of this forum.
<snip>
So, in the real world, users are waiting for, like I said, a real, USABLE, networked system, SANS PC's. I stand with them; when it's ready, give us a call.

I undertand your concern.
In a sense that is what we are testing, yes we are using pcs as the reciever , and with media share the sender, but in the end, the whole MRV should be transparent to the average subscriber; maybe Dtv will provide the needed wirless units and set them up just like they do with the HR units.
MRV won't need pcs; and those with Windows7, hopefully it will be a plug-n-play.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#13 OFFLINE   terron

terron

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:22 AM

That guy sure is grumpy :/

#14 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,384 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:25 AM

Agreed, but lets keep the flame throwers in storage.

I like the fact that there is some news about this product, I have built my own PC's for quite some time and think that the user community can come up with a truly epic build (without the budget constraints that DIRECTV must keep in mind).

I'm a little disappointed that the first driver sighting was in Windows 7 but I can only hope (and pray) that there will be support for Windows Vista, or (even better), support all the way back to Windows XP MCE.

#15 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:37 AM

But I understand the frustration. Your "average" DIRECTV subscriber would probably like having a DVR that functions 100% of the time as a DVR, and possibly with the ability to interact with other DVRs on the same LAN (MRV, remote scheduling, etc.).

Most probably don't want a DVR that acts like a computer - personally I want something more stable and reliable than Windows based PCs have to offer now (and I have serious doubts about that stability and reliability getting much, if any closer to 100% in Windows 7 than in current versions).

On the other hand, I also am not looking for a PC to act like a DVR. I've been through Sage, GB-PVR, Meedio, Windows Media Center and others. My track record has shown that PCs make much better PCs than they do DVRs.

DIRECTV bought the ReplayTV technology - which included MRV (and it worked very well), remote scheduling (schedule a show on another DVR on the same LAN if there's a conflict) and more.

DIRECTV has access to a lot of technology and knowledge. First and foremost from that should be delivering a DVR that's stable and reliable close to 100% of the time. Then and only then, focus some resources on bringing a satellite tuner and software to the PC platform.

Just my $.02.
-GA

#16 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:39 AM

I like the fact that there is some news about this product, I have built my own PC's for quite some time and think that the user community can come up with a truly epic build (without the budget constraints that DIRECTV must keep in mind).

I'm a little disappointed that the first driver sighting was in Windows 7 but I can only hope (and pray) that there will be support for Windows Vista, or (even better), support all the way back to Windows XP MCE.

Draconis, I'm with you... I already know exactly what I will build to go with the HDPC-20 and love the fact that 1TB drive prices are falling thru the floor :lol:

As to the backward support, I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope there, the issue appears to be H264 support, which for some unknown (at least to the community) was completely dropped from the Vista Media Center upgrade project and has never even been discussed for XP.

There is one thing to look forward to.. the early indications are that Windows 7 will be everything that Vista should have been... without any of the hassles...
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
i'm a PC Guy

#17 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,175 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:50 AM

Give me a media center PC with storage limited only by the size of the drives I put in it and a DirecTV tuner and I will be extremely happy...

I would normally agree with this sentiment, except I'm troubled by the cost of the MCE's for each display. Right now I've got 7 displays hooked-up to DirecTV boxes. What will it cost me for 6 MCE's? /steve
/steve

#18 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:03 PM

I would normally agree with this sentiment, except I'm troubled by the cost of the MCE's for each display. Right now I've got 7 displays hooked-up to DirecTV boxes. What will it cost me for 6 MCE's? /steve

Steve,

The best MCE out there is the XBox360...at present it's also about the cheapest. Coupled with its other functions (DVD player, Netflix oh and some gaming) it's a decent deal. Unfortunately, it is big and can be noisy.

#19 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:13 PM

I think that kinda misses the point... unless you and everybody in your household really, really likes messing with PC's.
If you want a distinct box per TV, then for most households a combo of networked DVR's and HD-boxes will be the way to go.

Many households (not all, but many) need fewer D* receivers than TV's.
I think the PC-idea is that you stick X number of PC-based D* receivers in a stout PC with mega storage, and then distribute the content to the various TV's as needed.

In my case, the scenario is simple because the kids are grown and gone. Bigger households will have different needs.
But, for me, the situation is 4 HD TV's and 2 SD TV's for 2 people. (Some TV's are rarely used.)
Right now, 2 HD-DVR's + 2 HD-boxes + 2 SD-TIVO's = 6 boxes with 10 tuners; 8 of those 10 tuners are recordable.
If centralized, 3 recordable tuners would not only fully satisfy our current usage patterns, it would also be superior (e.g., football Saturdays).
So, for me, going from (6 boxes/10 tuners/8 recordable tuners) to 3 centralized recordable tuners would be a functional upgrade, and 4 centralized recordable tuners would be a major upgrade.

#20 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:24 PM

And to not understanding the 'underlying technology', excuse me there as well. I helped develop the ORIGINAL Mpeg2 encoders for DirecTV at Compression Labs (San Jose, CA), in the late 80's/early 90's.

OK, so explain to me how that qualifies you to talk about UPnP/DLNA, DTCP, and the other technologies that go into MRV. Because it sounds to me like you were in the game 25+ years ago, got out of it, and somehow still think that you're qualified to talk about the new stuff that you really don't know anything about.

spam firewall