Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV’s HD tuner set to debut with Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:52 PM

There is one thing to look forward to.. the early indications are that Windows 7 will be everything that Vista should have been... without any of the hassles...

Isn't this the same "Kool-Aid" we've been fed since Windows 1.0? :rolleyes:
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,166 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:05 PM

I agree. . . I'll believe it when I see the product shipping.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#23 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,416 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:18 PM

I think that kinda misses the point... unless you and everybody in your household really, really likes messing with PC's.
If you want a distinct box per TV, then for most households a combo of networked DVR's and HD-boxes will be the way to go.

Actually to me, the orignal promise of MCE was the concept of whole-home scheduling and networking. One PC with terabytes of storage and multiple tuners feeding content to all the displays in my home simultaneously.

I guess I'll have to wait for MRV and hope that at some point there will be a unified scheduler managing all the networked DVR tuners in my home, along with a unified playlist accessible from any STB attached to a display. /steve
/steve

#24 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:32 PM

Actually to me, the orignal promise of MCE was the concept of whole-home scheduling and networking. One PC with terabytes of storage and multiple tuners feeding content to all the displays in my home simultaneously.

Right.
But then I don't understand your concern about one MCE per display.
It's one per PC, is it not?

#25 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:33 PM

Steve,

The best MCE out there is the XBox360...at present it's also about the cheapest. Coupled with its other functions (DVD player, Netflix oh and some gaming) it's a decent deal. Unfortunately, it is big and can be noisy.

Would rather spend the extra and go with the PS3, combine that with the new netflix interface and sitting pretty. If the PS3 is not needed the Linksys DMA2100 ad the DMA2200 come in a hot second.

Currently running a custom Vista Ultimate 64 bit, 8GB memory, mirrored 320 GB boot drives, a Esata 15 drive raid external array, 1 PS3, 3 DMA2200's - now if the directv would interface 100 percent I will dump all my DVR's both Directivo and HR2X's and come out ahead.

#26 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:33 PM

Right.
But then I don't understand your concern about one MCE per display.
It's one per per PC, is it not?

1 MCE per TV

#27 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:45 PM

1 MCE per TV

Didn't know that. Thanks.

That's very unfortunate.

#28 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:11 PM

Didn't know that. Thanks.

That's very unfortunate.

How is it unfortunate? Do you think that the TV will somehow magically be able to access the content from Media Center? Obviously an Extender will be needed.

#29 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:27 PM

How is it unfortunate? Do you think that the TV will somehow magically be able to access the content from Media Center? Obviously an Extender will be needed.

It's unfortunate if one is required to purchase multiple licenses for a single product running on a single machine to serve multiple TV's, i.e. 1 per TV rather than 1 per PC.
Not sure if that will be the case or not, but that's what I meant.

#30 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,416 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:30 PM

Would rather spend the extra and go with the PS3, combine that with the new netflix interface and sitting pretty. If the PS3 is not needed the Linksys DMA2100 ad the DMA2200 come in a hot second.

Currently running a custom Vista Ultimate 64 bit, 8GB memory, mirrored 320 GB boot drives, a Esata 15 drive raid external array, 1 PS3, 3 DMA2200's - now if the directv would interface 100 percent I will dump all my DVR's both Directivo and HR2X's and come out ahead.

Ya, but for me, that would cost anywhere from $1200-1500 for 6 MCE's, plus the cost of several DirecTV tuners for the MC PC (I'd want at least 3 or 4, to avoid conflicts).

That said, I guess you can't take it with you. :lol: /steve

PS: IIRC, there used to be a limit of 3 or 4 MCE's per MC server. Is that still true?
/steve

#31 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:27 PM

Why spend extra for the PS3? The XBox360 will do NetFlix and is a true Media Center Extender. Certainly the PS3 can play video, etc...but in some households the consider Media Center interface is important.
Not arguing XBox vs. PS3...just suggesting a low-cost MCE that has some nice capabilities.

#32 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:30 PM

Ya, but for me, that would cost anywhere from $1200-1500 for 6 MCE's, plus the cost of several DirecTV tuners for the MC PC (I'd want at least 3 or 4, to avoid conflicts).

That said, I guess you can't take it with you. :lol: /steve

PS: IIRC, there used to be a limit of 3 or 4 MCE's per MC server. Is that still true?

Steve,

I think that limit would be based more on network capacity than the actual number you could have connected. I don't think there's any limitation on how many MCEs you can have on the network...just how many that could be hitting the server at the same time.

#33 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:43 PM

It's unfortunate if one is required to purchase multiple licenses for a single product running on a single machine to serve multiple TV's, i.e. 1 per TV rather than 1 per PC.
Not sure if that will be the case or not, but that's what I meant.

MCE is a piece of hardware not software.

#34 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,416 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:45 PM

Steve,

I think that limit would be based more on network capacity than the actual number you could have connected. I don't think there's any limitation on how many MCEs you can have on the network...just how many that could be hitting the server at the same time.

Gotcha. It may have been an XP MC limit. I browsed the new Vista MC site and saw no limit on extenders, but did see a limit of 2 HD tuners and 2 SD tuners max. That could be a non-starter for me, because I'd want at least 3 HD tuners to resolve prime-time conflicts. /steve
/steve

#35 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:53 PM

Steve,

Have 6 running at the office on a single Vista Ultimate box, but it is basicly a full blown server.

#36 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,792 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:54 PM

I tend to want to agree with the KISS crowd (keep it simple stupid). TV is TV, computers are computers. Each have their uses. Among the average person paying DirecTV varying amounts of $$$ per month, there is no interest in merging the two, and no need to do so.

For the small percentage of users who want the ability to totally integrate everything, great. I hope the hardware and software to support that comes along. But please don't expect me to help subsidize the cost of doing so in what I pay, as I have no interest or need in those capabilities. I like the direction I have seen DirecTV moving, and think they are on track to please the great majority of their customers.

#37 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:56 PM

Gotcha. It may have been an XP MC limit. I browsed the new Vista MC site and saw no limit on extenders, but did see a limit of 2 HD tuners and 2 SD tuners max. That could be a non-starter for me, because I'd want at least 3 HD tuners to resolve prime-time conflicts. /steve

There is a 3rd party patch that allows more turners, take a look at the green button or the Australian Media center site for the patch. I believe the new "service pack" the MS reeleased to OEM builders native support more then the unenhanced version

#38 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 885 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:53 PM

I undertand your concern.
In a sense that is what we are testing, yes we are using pcs as the reciever , and with media share the sender, but in the end, the whole MRV should be transparent to the average subscriber; maybe Dtv will provide the needed wirless units and set them up just like they do with the HR units.
MRV won't need pcs; and those with Windows7, hopefully it will be a plug-n-play.

OK, so explain to me how that qualifies you to talk about UPnP/DLNA, DTCP, and the other technologies that go into MRV. Because it sounds to me like you were in the game 25+ years ago, got out of it, and somehow still think that you're qualified to talk about the new stuff that you really don't know anything about.

I thought about putting this in another thread, probably would have been a better thing to do. But maybe I can get the 'two birds with one stone' explaining a bit, and perhaps explaining a bit about project management as well.

I simply think (I may be wrong, won't be the first time!), that they (DirecTV) is going about this 'ass-backwards'. They have this neat plan to have all this networked stuff going along, and oh, by the way, the MRV component of it is simply this 'module' hanging off to the side over there.

Okay... But perhaps we should review some history (usually not a bad idea at any time) of just exactly how networks evolved in the first place. All this multi-machine, multi-protocol stuff didn't simply leap from the 'brow of zeus', so to speak. What exactly was the first networks, what did they do, and what was the goal? x machines in some homogeneous network sharing anything in a complex client/server or peering system?

Wow, far from it. The first networks were for PRINT sharing, nothing more. Printers were VERY expensive, particularly laser ones, circa late 70's. So of course were hard discs, but hold on a sec, lets get printing working first. Later would come 'true' client-server networks that would integrate printer/file sharing, in fact, doing that efficiently and cost effectively was the whole basis behind this small company in Utah, Novell. They held onto the top dog status for a good decade.

Microsoft and others were (as usual?), late to the game. Others were the trailblazers. As others have pointed out, the MRV part has been in existence on other DVR machines as we speak, and in fact, existed several years ago. Hmm, are we trying to re-invent the wheel?

So, the project manager comes out. Do we want to develop a supersonic jet transport before doing, say, a bi-plane..? In fact, if one looks back at the development of heavier-than-air aircraft, that's just about exactly what a LOT of folks tried to do up until (and past!) the turn of the 20th Century. Then these two brothers from Dayton, OH, thought jeez, lets get the wheel invented first before we leap off the cliff!

In my mind, DirecTV is trying to develop the supersonic jet transport FIRST, and do the 'simple stuff' later. Good Luck!

I wish them luck. So far, the track record is not good; any project manager worth their salt would say if the basics aren't proven and the foundation not set within around 6 months of kickoff, then your initial plan is suspect. DirecTV has been going at this for what, at least six years...?

As far as the 'technology changing' and some particular part of it being different than, say, 25+ years ago, then I guess anyone can't follow any new thoughts or advances about anything.

Here's an example; do you think any Physicist from, say, the 1930's (pre atom bomb) would not understand pretty quickly exactly what Oppenheimer and friends came up with circa 1945? Or say, going back to my airplane analogy, that the Wright brothers would understand within a couple of minutes (seconds?) how a 747 flies?

One of the greatest challenges in any career is keeping up. The biggest thing to learn as an undergraduate is.... to learn how to learn.

The basic rules of physics don't change; although my 'atom bomb' example is a bit of a stretch, as those folks were rewriting a lot of the textbooks of the era.

But the basics of project management don't change, whether we're talking about an 8-lane superhighway or a rocket to the moon. Wernher von Braun wasn't just a genius rocket designer, he was a suburb project manager. He had a rocket pre-Sputnik ready to go, but the DOD wanted a different rocket to go, which wasn't ready. 'Politics'.

I don't think this question may ever get answered, but I wonder what 'politics' at DirecTV is pushing the Supersonic Transport part of MRV before the simple biplane...? Oh well....

As an aside, my 'hero for the ages' is this guy, Leslie R. Groves. A lowly brigadier general (MG at the end of the war), running the BIGGEST (certainly the most expensive) government/military project of WW2. The Manhattan Project. A 'simple' Corps of Engineers branch graduate of West Point, he didn't know SQUAT about the physics of how Oppenheimer was going to accomplish his feat, but he knew how to manage the 130,000 people and $24B (in 2008 dollars) to support that effort to it's positive conclusion.

#39 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:55 PM

If you had anything in that novel you wanted me to address, I would suggest posting it separately. Because I'm not reading all of that.

#40 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:21 PM

If you had anything in that novel you wanted me to address, I would suggest posting it separately. Because I'm not reading all of that.

Don't worry about it Jeremy.. I read it and it lacks any content of importance to us.. he doesn't like DirecTV's development process.. thinks he could manage it better.. thinks they are incompetent... made a comparison to the Manhattan Project ???... completely off topic...

Lets cheer the fact that there is actually a driver in existence for the HDPC-20, which is way more than we have ever had before!!!
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

spam firewall