Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV’s HD tuner set to debut with Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:38 PM

Lets cheer the fact that there is actually a driver in existence for the HDPC-20, which is way more than we have ever had before!!!

too bad there isnt a driver in vista sp2, anyway i cant wait for the hdpc20 to come out. i have already built a machine for it:p
HR34-700, HR24-500, HR22-100, HR20-100, R22-100, R16

My Setup

Diagram of my Directv setup by Milkman

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:51 PM

Lets cheer the fact that there is actually a driver in existence for the HDPC-20, which is way more than we have ever had before!!!

Definitely. It's going to get here eventually.

#43 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:37 AM

If you had anything in that novel you wanted me to address, I would suggest posting it separately. Because I'm not reading all of that.

QFT - will stay with ARPNet (or maybe MilNet) for the first external network use and a IBM 360 series with 327X green screens for the internel data network

#44 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:24 AM

http://www.engadgeth...p-20-usb-tuner/
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#45 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:48 AM

\
That's what I'm talking about... Party!!!:D
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#46 OFFLINE   swans

swans

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:04 AM

Don't worry about it Jeremy.. I read it and it lacks any content of importance to us.. he doesn't like DirecTV's development process.. thinks he could manage it better.. thinks they are incompetent... made a comparison to the Manhattan Project ???... completely off topic...

I work with computers all day long. I don't want to sit at home in front of a computer to do my TV viewing. This development was something that you guys placed some greater importance over. For most of the common people they would rather have MRV from DVR to receiver/DVR.

#47 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:14 PM

I work with computers all day long. I don't want to sit at home in front of a computer to do my TV viewing. This development was something that you guys placed some greater importance over. For most of the common people they would rather have MRV from DVR to receiver/DVR.

I'm either missing your point or you seem to be mixed up.
DirecTV2PC requires [in the simplest form] "sitting" in front of a computer.
HDPC-20 would be used with an HTPC which [normally] would be connected to an HD TV.
Would more customers be using HD DVRs and MRV? This would be my guess.
Are there some that would rather have their HTPC as a central server? "I think so".

Should DirecTV only work/develop "options" that I want/would use?
Isn't this a bit self centered?
A.K.A VOS

#48 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:22 PM

Right.
But then I don't understand your concern about one MCE per display.
It's one per PC, is it not?

I think the confusion here (at least for me) is the terminology.

MCE = Media Center Edition, and typically refers to the PC iteself, of which you only need 1.

MCX = Media Center Extender, and is what you need at each TV. They can be as cheap as $150 now (Linksys and DLink) and you can have as many as you'd like connected to the MCE.

#49 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:23 PM

"most" of us that want this, have pc's and htpc's hooked up to large hdtv's. its not like we will be sitting in front of 19'' computer monitors to watch tv from the hdpc20. right now, i use directv2pc as a mrv solution on my 2 main tv's with pc's hooked up to 2-62" dlps.
HR34-700, HR24-500, HR22-100, HR20-100, R22-100, R16

My Setup

Diagram of my Directv setup by Milkman

#50 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:25 PM

I tend to want to agree with the KISS crowd (keep it simple stupid). TV is TV, computers are computers. Each have their uses. Among the average person paying DirecTV varying amounts of $$$ per month, there is no interest in merging the two, and no need to do so.

For the small percentage of users who want the ability to totally integrate everything, great. I hope the hardware and software to support that comes along. But please don't expect me to help subsidize the cost of doing so in what I pay, as I have no interest or need in those capabilities. I like the direction I have seen DirecTV moving, and think they are on track to please the great majority of their customers.

Carl,
Nowadays the computers are DVRs and the DVRs are computers. The TV is a computer and the computer is a TV. It will get simple...as the computer just takes more and different forms. You think that cellphone you use is a phone or a computer? :)

So, yes many don't want to built an HTPC or even buy one...but they wouldn't think twice about buying a new A/V Receiver with all sorts of new functionality...or a "whole home DVR", etc. It's a question of interface and packaging.

#51 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:26 PM

Media Center and MCX do not require you watch TV from your PC. I have a dual-tuner, HD OTA Media Center setup in my house with 3 extenders and the PC is in my basement with no monitor, keyboard or mouse connected.

You watch TV from the set top box, XBOX360, or even some TVs now have the MCX software built in.

Simply put, Micorsoft has had MRV for about 5 or 6 years now (even before ReplayTV) with this setup, some of us have large investments in Media Center as a Recorded/Live TV solution and now we'd like to get DIRECTVHD content in there as well.

If you've never used the Media Center interface, you won't understand how EVERY other interface is behind, and while it does have it's problems, keep in mind that for the last 5 years we have had Photos, Music, Video, DVDs, Recorded TV, Live TV and Internet TV, HDTV in a single, amazingly elegant and usable interface while all other solutions have only ever offered a subset.

#52 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:27 PM

I'm either missing your point or you seem to be mixed up.
DirecTV2PC requires [in the simplest form] "sitting" in front of a computer.
HDPC-20 would be used with an HTPC which [normally] would be connected to an HD TV.
Would more customers be using HD DVRs and MRV? This would be my guess.
Are there some that would rather have their HTPC as a central server? "I think so".

Should DirecTV only work/develop "options" that I want/would use?
Isn't this a bit self centered?

VOS,

Do you have to sit in front of your DVR to watch content that it's playing? No...nor do you have to do so to see what is playing from a computer. It would be difficult today to find a HDTV that didn't have complete computer connectivity.

#53 OFFLINE   ToddD

ToddD

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:36 PM

MCE = Media Center Edition, and typically refers to the PC iteself, of which you only need 1.

MCX = Media Center Extender, and is what you need at each TV. They can be as cheap as $150 now (Linksys and DLink) and you can have as many as you'd like connected to the MCE.

Let me update your post with some good news...Amazon has the Linksys extender for $112.99

http://www.amazon.co...26341788&sr=8-2

#54 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:40 PM

Let me update your post with some good news...Amazon has the Linsys extender for $112.99

http://www.amazon.co...26341788&sr=8-2

Damn. That's not good news for me I already bought my 2 :)

#55 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:02 PM

Right.
But then I don't understand your concern about one MCE per display.
It's one per PC, is it not?

Thank you. That is helpful.
(In my ignorance, I thought maybe I had lost my mind ;-)

#56 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:08 PM

Just saw this one on engadget....

Good screenshot from a pre-beta release.

#57 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:14 PM

VOS,

Do you have to sit in front of your DVR to watch content that it's playing? No...nor do you have to do so to see what is playing from a computer. It would be difficult today to find a HDTV that didn't have complete computer connectivity.

Well I do have to sit in front of a monitor to be here. :lol:
[which is also where I use DirecTV2PC the most]
A.K.A VOS

#58 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,398 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:20 PM

Another interesting article.

Will the DirecTV HDPC-20 Arrive at 2009's CES?

#59 OFFLINE   CTJon

CTJon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:02 PM

Microsoft - known for quality and reliability. They'll make the current DVR's look great. I know they are talking about a slightly different beast and use but I can't wait to see that forum.

#60 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:16 PM

Microsoft - known for quality and reliability. They'll make the current DVR's look great.

Have you ever actually used Windows Media Center?

spam firewall