Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV’s HD tuner set to debut with Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:26 PM

I work with computers all day long. I don't want to sit at home in front of a computer to do my TV viewing. This development was something that you guys placed some greater importance over. For most of the common people they would rather have MRV from DVR to receiver/DVR.

Media Center and MCX do not require you watch TV from your PC. I have a dual-tuner, HD OTA Media Center setup in my house with 3 extenders and the PC is in my basement with no monitor, keyboard or mouse connected.

You watch TV from the set top box, XBOX360, or even some TVs now have the MCX software built in.

Simply put, Micorsoft has had MRV for about 5 or 6 years now (even before ReplayTV) with this setup, some of us have large investments in Media Center as a Recorded/Live TV solution and now we'd like to get DIRECTVHD content in there as well.

If you've never used the Media Center interface, you won't understand how EVERY other interface is behind, and while it does have it's problems, keep in mind that for the last 5 years we have had Photos, Music, Video, DVDs, Recorded TV, Live TV and Internet TV, HDTV in a single, amazingly elegant and usable interface while all other solutions have only ever offered a subset.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:27 PM

I'm either missing your point or you seem to be mixed up.
DirecTV2PC requires [in the simplest form] "sitting" in front of a computer.
HDPC-20 would be used with an HTPC which [normally] would be connected to an HD TV.
Would more customers be using HD DVRs and MRV? This would be my guess.
Are there some that would rather have their HTPC as a central server? "I think so".

Should DirecTV only work/develop "options" that I want/would use?
Isn't this a bit self centered?

VOS,

Do you have to sit in front of your DVR to watch content that it's playing? No...nor do you have to do so to see what is playing from a computer. It would be difficult today to find a HDTV that didn't have complete computer connectivity.

#53 OFFLINE   ToddD

ToddD

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:36 PM

I think the confusion here (at least for me) is the terminology.

MCE = Media Center Edition, and typically refers to the PC iteself, of which you only need 1.

MCX = Media Center Extender, and is what you need at each TV. They can be as cheap as $150 now (Linksys and DLink) and you can have as many as you'd like connected to the MCE.

Let me update your post with some good news...Amazon has the Linksys extender for $112.99

http://www.amazon.co...26341788&sr=8-2

#54 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:40 PM

Let me update your post with some good news...Amazon has the Linsys extender for $112.99

http://www.amazon.co...26341788&sr=8-2

Damn. That's not good news for me I already bought my 2 :)

#55 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:02 PM

Right.
But then I don't understand your concern about one MCE per display.
It's one per PC, is it not?

I think the confusion here (at least for me) is the terminology.

MCE = Media Center Edition, and typically refers to the PC iteself, of which you only need 1.

MCX = Media Center Extender, and is what you need at each TV. They can be as cheap as $150 now (Linksys and DLink) and you can have as many as you'd like connected to the MCE.

Thank you. That is helpful.
(In my ignorance, I thought maybe I had lost my mind ;-)

#56 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:08 PM

Just saw this one on engadget....

http://www.engadgeth...p-20-usb-tuner/

Good screenshot from a pre-beta release.

#57 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,195 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:14 PM

VOS,

Do you have to sit in front of your DVR to watch content that it's playing? No...nor do you have to do so to see what is playing from a computer. It would be difficult today to find a HDTV that didn't have complete computer connectivity.

Well I do have to sit in front of a monitor to be here. :lol:
[which is also where I use DirecTV2PC the most]
A.K.A VOS

#58 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,426 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:20 PM

Another interesting article.

Will the DirecTV HDPC-20 Arrive at 2009's CES?

#59 OFFLINE   CTJon

CTJon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:02 PM

Microsoft - known for quality and reliability. They'll make the current DVR's look great. I know they are talking about a slightly different beast and use but I can't wait to see that forum.

#60 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:16 PM

Microsoft - known for quality and reliability. They'll make the current DVR's look great.

Have you ever actually used Windows Media Center?

#61 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,195 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

Microsoft - known for quality and reliability....

!rolling
Thanks, I needed a good laugh today.
If Microsoft had done the software for the moon mission, NASA would still be waiting for a service pack and Neil Armstrong wouldn't have left footprints [yet].
A.K.A VOS

#62 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:05 PM

!rolling
Thanks, I needed a good laugh today.
If Microsoft had done the software for the moon mission, NASA would still be waiting for a service pack and Neil Armstrong wouldn't have left footprints [yet].

Enjoy how everyone takes pot shots at Microsoft, not a perfect company by any stretch, but nevertheless used on over a billion PC's world wide.. I sit in front of a PC all day every day, imagine that, no problems... just does what it is supposed to do.

Anyway... check the history books, the "computer" on the LEM failed during Apollo 11's landing:lol: :lol: :lol:
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#63 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,195 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:21 PM

Enjoy how everyone takes pot shots at Microsoft, not a perfect company by any stretch, but nevertheless used on over a billion PC's world wide.. I sit in front of a PC all day every day, imagine that, no problems... just does what it is supposed to do.

Anyway... check the history books, the "computer" on the LEM failed during Apollo 11's landing:lol: :lol: :lol:

And where did the "blue screen of death" come from?

BTW: the 1201 error [I think that was the #] was because the radar data was over loading the system. "Somebody" thought it would be good to have this data for a manual landing [if needed], yet nobody tried it, and it forced a manual landing instead.

Kind of reminders me of a missile launch that went "a rye". Someone didn't make a correction value absolute, so one way it corrected to center and the other way drove it off center further.
A.K.A VOS

#64 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:43 PM

And where did the "blue screen of death" come from?

What does that have to do with anything?

#65 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:18 PM

What does that have to do with anything?

Agreed... besides, I haven't seen the BSOD since Vista arrived... oops, another imperfect product... :lol:
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#66 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,195 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:22 PM

Agreed... besides, I haven't seen the BSOD since Vista arrived... oops, another imperfect product... :lol:

Three times [just today] TCPIPsys with Vista gave me the blue screen.

Jeremy W: "What does that have to do with anything?"

So we can't "wander" just a bit? [like EVERY other thread here]
A.K.A VOS

#67 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:25 PM

So we can't "wander" just a bit? [like EVERY other thread here]

Wandering, which this thread has done a ton of, is fine. But that comment was completely off the wall, and really has nothing to do with anything.

#68 OFFLINE   RehabMan

RehabMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:30 PM

What software product is perfect? I know of none. Face it, writing good software is difficult. I get the feeling most of the people bashing Vista have never used it. I use it on two of my machines and it isn't as bad as the tech press would have you believe [Yes -- I like it better than XP].

I'm sure DirecTV is still shocked at the fact that they are still working on the software for the HR series -- another chunk of software not exactly known for its perfection. I'm sure the whole thing turned out to be much more difficult than they ever imagined. I wonder how long they will fund their own development team.

I too, am looking forward to seeing the HDPC20 and the support in Media Center, whenever it arrives. I see it as a potentially better alternative to DirecTV's MRV, both in flexibility and cost. Flexibility in the way it would put the DVR in an extensible/programmable platform (the Windows PC). And cost in that you won't have to pay "mirroring" fees to bring the content to different zones in the house, because you are using non-subscription based MCX boxes to feed remote zones (Media Center Extenders).
AU-9 to Zinwell 6x8, HR20-700 and H20-100 (component) to whole house Elan S12 system,
2x Sharp LC-32D62U (workout room, outdoor room), Sharp LC-42D62U (master bedroom), Gefen HD Mate Scaler to Gateway 17" 720p monitor (kitchen), Home Theatre still under construction
H20-600 to Sharp LC-37G4U in guest house

#69 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,195 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:33 PM

Wandering, which this thread has done a ton of, is fine. But that comment was completely off the wall, and really has nothing to do with anything.

Since I WAS replying to LarryFlower's reply, I wasn't "that far" into a "wander".
Have a short fuse today? :)
A.K.A VOS

#70 OFFLINE   RehabMan

RehabMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:38 PM

Three times [just today] TCPIPsys with Vista gave me the blue screen.

On the other hand, my longest running Vista box has blue-screened only once in over 1.5 years of running pretty much 24/7 (it feeds Doug Brott's redh.com/dtv info).

Has it run perfectly? No -- I recently had to re-install Vista because WMP11 media sharing stopped working and nothing I could think of would bring it back... But I install/uninstall a lot of different software on the machine, so things might not have been so pristine [uninstall apps that people ship are generally pretty sloppy and under-tested].

My guess for you is that perhaps you have some sort of driver/network/corruption/hardware issue. Perhaps a re-install is in your [near] future :( ...
AU-9 to Zinwell 6x8, HR20-700 and H20-100 (component) to whole house Elan S12 system,
2x Sharp LC-32D62U (workout room, outdoor room), Sharp LC-42D62U (master bedroom), Gefen HD Mate Scaler to Gateway 17" 720p monitor (kitchen), Home Theatre still under construction

#71 OFFLINE   iamqnow

iamqnow

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:43 PM

OK, so explain to me how that qualifies you to talk about UPnP/DLNA, DTCP, and the other technologies that go into MRV. Because it sounds to me like you were in the game 25+ years ago, got out of it, and somehow still think that you're qualified to talk about the new stuff that you really don't know anything about.

Why so much "nastiness?" So some folks have other ideas about what should be. Let's not attack or belittle them.:confused:

#72 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,195 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:46 PM

On the other hand, my longest running Vista box has blue-screened only once in over 1.5 years of running pretty much 24/7 (it feeds Doug Brott's redh.com/dtv info).

Has it run perfectly? No -- I recently had to re-install Vista because WMP11 media sharing stopped working and nothing I could think of would bring it back... But I install/uninstall a lot of different software on the machine, so things might not have been so pristine [uninstall apps that people ship are generally pretty sloppy and under-tested].

My guess for you is that perhaps you have some sort of driver/network/corruption/hardware issue. Perhaps a re-install is in your [near] future :( ...

[Don't read this Jeremy W]

This Vista "box" has been pretty good.
P2P program(s) seem to be it's weakness, and the fact that you can't "upgrade" a Vista Ultimate install, so this one seems to get a fresh install about ever 30-60 days.
A.K.A VOS

#73 OFFLINE   mopzo

mopzo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:15 PM

Despite the rumblings at the time, and more every time some 'sighting' of one piece or another of this, up to the current sloberings (my term) over DirectPC2TV over in the DVR forum, the upshot of ALL and ANY of this to the typical consumer is....

ZERO. Let me say that again, as one of the first people to get an MCSE (after years with Novel, CompTIA, Cisco, certs et. al.), in the real 'non-techie' world, ZERO.

There may be folks here in this forum that desire to 'play around' with such things, but the vast majority of DirecTV folks out there could CARE LESS.

Before I retired, most folks I worked around, and in fact most of my neighbors I talk to on a weekly basis (9 of 10 have DirecTV), want nothing whatsoever to do with a computer in their home, much less connected to their sat TV or home theater system.

These are not anti-tech folks. In fact, about half of them are either Boeing or Microsoft engineers!

When DirecTV rolls out MRV, they say 'give us a call; don't bother us until then'.

I agree, even as I sit here at the rear of my home theater surrounded by four networked high-end PC's, listening/watching a 'New Order' concert DVD blare (511, a really superb DTS mix) out from my HD monitor and 2KW surround speaker system.

Until then, every little off-track 'project' they get involved with is... a total waste of time and effort. As I've run many major projects (software and hardware) over the years, I don't buy the argument that all these off-shoots are 'stepping stones' to MRV. It's a waste of time, effort, and (especially now) money.

And Vapor-Ware, as the article correctly points out.

I tend to agree. I can see the DVR on my PS3, on my laptop. To what benefit? I'm still trying to see the benefit of Direct2PC. Why watch a recording on a 15inch laptop screen when my 52 inch is right in front of me? When I can watch any recording anywhere with an internet connection. (without slingbox) .that's when I'll get excited.
Hitachi 51SWX20B w/HR20-100. LG 37LG50 w/HR22-100 and AM-21. Verizon FiOS w/Actiontec Router, Linksys PowerLine AV Network, Playstation 3, Wii, Dell XPS M1340, XM/Sirrus Satellite Radio, iPhone

#74 OFFLINE   iamqnow

iamqnow

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:38 PM

Why watch a recording on a 15inch laptop screen when my 52 inch is right in front of me? When I can watch any recording anywhere with an internet connection. (without slingbox) .that's when I'll get excited.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been trying to figure this one out too.

#75 OFFLINE   RehabMan

RehabMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:42 PM

Just remember, Steve Ballmer's own parents questioned the need to have a computer in the home. Now look where we are with PCs in the home.

These kinds of technologies are always adopted first by the techies. The early adopters. We help refine the technology. We show it to our friends... and the less techno savvy. When it is ready for mainstream, if it has benefits that outweigh the costs, they buy in.

If DirecTV is moving in a direction to allow and even encourage Media Center capability (entertainment computer in the living room), then I'd like to encourage them and congratulate them for helping move things forward.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...