Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

D12-300 and install help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jaybo

jaybo

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:14 PM

Ok here is what I have so I need help with this....

I have a D12-300 receiver and I have a few questions.....

Does this receiver power the LNB on a single LNB dish or do I have to use a inline power supply like whats on my SWM dish with my H22 receiver?

What LNB and dish would work with this receiver? I really want a simple dish and maybe a single LNB for this one receiver.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,007 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:27 PM

You already have an account, and an H22 receiver which means you already have some type of dish.

Assuming you plan to use the D12 at the same location (doing otherwise is a violation of your terms of service), all you need to do is run another coax from the dish to the D12 location and hook it up. If you have an SWMLine dish (with an SWM capable LNB), then just split the existing coax anyplace along the way and run a leg to the D12.

If you want to connect the D12 to a separate dish, you want an 18" round dish, and the receiver powers the dish electronics. You might need either a 3-LNB dish, or a separate 72.5 dish, for locals depending on your market/zip code.

#3 OFFLINE   jaybo

jaybo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:51 PM

Thanks!

My big question was does the D12 power the dish because on my H22 it has a inline power supply...... Why does the H22 not power the dish?

So if I bought a triple LNB dish does 3 cables come out of the LNB's to a splitter then one cable goes to the D12 and it powers all 3 LNBs?

You already have an account, and an H22 receiver which means you already have some type of dish.

Assuming you plan to use the D12 at the same location (doing otherwise is a violation of your terms of service), all you need to do is run another coax from the dish to the D12 location and hook it up. If you have an SWMLine dish (with an SWM capable LNB), then just split the existing coax anyplace along the way and run a leg to the D12.

If you want to connect the D12 to a separate dish, you want an 18" round dish, and the receiver powers the dish electronics. You might need either a 3-LNB dish, or a separate 72.5 dish, for locals depending on your market/zip code.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:21 PM

The SWM LNB is a complicated beast, and needs a lot of power. Thus, the SWM LNBs come with a power inserter. Only one power inserter is used on a SWM LNB system, to power the LNB and SWM switch inside. Once it is powered, it will supply signal to 8 SWM-compatible tuners, and you simply use a cable splitter to split the coax to get a single coax line to each receiver.

#5 OFFLINE   jaybo

jaybo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:31 PM

Thanks,

I was just afraid of ordering a 3 LNB dish with the mulitswitch built in then find out that the D12-300 reciever would not power the dish.... so from what I understand it will power a standard 3 LNB dish with built in mulitiswitch.

The SWM LNB is a complicated beast, and needs a lot of power. Thus, the SWM LNBs come with a power inserter. Only one power inserter is used on a SWM LNB system, to power the LNB and SWM switch inside. Once it is powered, it will supply signal to 8 SWM-compatible tuners, and you simply use a cable splitter to split the coax to get a single coax line to each receiver.

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,007 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:34 AM

Thanks!

My big question was does the D12 power the dish because on my H22 it has a inline power supply...... Why does the H22 not power the dish?

So if I bought a triple LNB dish does 3 cables come out of the LNB's to a splitter then one cable goes to the D12 and it powers all 3 LNBs?

There are two completely different types of LNB assemblies, SWM and non-SWM. The SWM LNB requires the power inserter, and the SWM LNB will have only one output connector on it. The PI provides all of the power the LNB requires.

The non-SWM dish, which will have four output connectors, is powered directly from the receiver. Any/all receivers including the D12 supply sufficient power for the non-SWM dish. Connect the receiver directly to one (and only one) of the four output ports. It doesn't matter which one, they all function the same. Do not use any type of splitter to try to span multiple output connectors. If you add a second, third, or fourth receiver, then those connect directly to the other output connectors.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...