Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Potential New Directv Consumer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kjm0208

kjm0208

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:39 PM

I apologize if this is so basic, but i'm new to dss!!

I've done some research & ready to make the plunge into dss...but i see used receivers for sale on various websites & am wondering if it's "legal" to buy a receiver instead of leasing from directv with a new system, or what the advantage would be. i need 3 standard receivers & an HD DVR.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:03 PM

I've done some research & ready to make the plunge into dss...but i see used receivers for sale on various websites & am wondering if it's "legal" to buy a receiver instead of leasing from directv with a new system, or what the advantage would be. i need 3 standard receivers & an HD DVR.

Thanks!

It is the old BUYER BEWARE you have to worry about. Many receivers for sale are not really owned by the seller- they are leased & you could have a problem getting them activated, or they could be owned but not working properly. There is no advantage to owning vs leasing a receiver, I recommend you call Direct TV & see what kind of deal they offer you.

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:18 PM

First, understand this: you still have to pay a monthly fee for programming whether you own or lease your receiver(s), and the price is identical for owned vs. leased.

The only benefits of owning a receiver are:

- You can sign up or add a receiver without a programming commitment (or extending an existing one.
- You could sell the receiver and recoup some of the money you spent, IF the receiver isn't obsolete, and IF the current lease price isn't so low that the value of owning a used receiver is nil.

The downsides are that you would be buying a piece of technology that is only useful if you have a DirecTV subscription, but that gets obsoleted quickly as technology evolves. With the lease, your upfront investment is much smaller, especially if you are going to be staying with DirecTV for 2 years or more, and there are upgrade programs to upgrade your leased equipment at fairly low cost.

Finally, owned equipment comes with a 90 day warranty when new; used equipment has no warranty. If it breaks, and you don't have the protection plan, you're out the entire cost of the receiver. A leased receiver can be replaced for the cost of shipping.

#4 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:09 AM

Thanks!

First and foremost, kjm0208, WELCOME to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

I applaud you for doing research before jumping in, and this is a GREAT place to get answers that you can feel good about.

IIP covered things pretty well. A couple of things I'll throw in:

I don't believe that DirecTV will start a new account with used equipment. And even if you did try to buy used equipment (which I don't recommend because there are a lot of pitfalls), you would still have to acquire a dish and install it - and for the HD, it's not that simple a task.

If you start your service and get your equipment through DirecTV, they will provide the dish and standard installation for no charge. It would probably cost you $199 for the HD DVR, but for a new customer I believe they throw in up to four standard receivers free - so you shouldn't have to pay for the three receivers, just the HD DVR.

#5 OFFLINE   xrobmn

xrobmn

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:23 AM

Thanks!

Welcome to the board! When I signed up about a year ago, I checked this board for months before I made the plunge and signed up.. It was probably the best thing I ever did since I knew what to ask for and what to watch out for :)

I do save some money compaired to what I had for the exact same thing from Charter cable..

I am helping my dad get Directv right now and there are some awesome deals on their website.

He can get the Plus HD HVR package (what I have for $72.99 a month.. You also get three free months of HD service (9.99 credit).. Three free months of HBO, Showtime, and I think Starz. You can also get the HD DVR for $199 with an instant $199 credit and the other receivers are free as well. PLus, a $23 credit per month for a year. Bundle the bill with youe phone service if you can (in my case, qwest, I get $5 a month off on top of all that)..

So.. Heck of a deal.. free HD DVR's and receivers.. No reason to buy them online and you'll get new (from everyone I've talked to and all that I've seen) when you are a new person at Directv..

So.. give yourself an early holiday gift :)

#6 OFFLINE   kjm0208

kjm0208

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:24 AM

Thank you all for your insightful info- I'm glad i found this site!!

I intend to sign up with Directv to get the initial installation & equipment for at least an HD & another receiver. If however, if i were get an extra tv down the road & want to add a receiver for it, would it be better to add the receiver thru directv or... can i buy a used receiver, pay $20 for a new "card" from directv & not pay the lease of $5 per month for leasing it?

Thanks again, this site is such a great resource!

#7 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:15 PM

First of all, what shows on a bill as the $4.99 per month "Leased Receiver Fee" is not actually a continuing lease cost but a program mirroring fee - it's the charge to provide the same programming package on additional receivers on your account without having to pay full package price for each receiver. If you bought a used receiver and activated it on your account, you would still be paying the same $4.99 for that receiver, it would just show up on your bill as an "Additional Receiver" charge. The only lease cost for DirecTV receivers is whatever you pay up front to acquire them - from that point on the monthly cost of a leased or owned receiver is exactly the same (except for some states where there may be sales tax charged on the lease fee and not on the additional receiver fee).

Secondly, more and more the pool of actual "owned" receivers that may be available for sale is drying up and there are people selling "used" receivers that are actually leased receivers (and therefore owned by DirecTV, not the seller). If you happen to buy one of these, you will likely not be able to activate it through DirecTV even by paying $20 for a new card. People will post about rare exceptions to this with some back-story, but I would save myself the headache and not even think along the lines of buying a used unit - unless it's from family or something and you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that it is an owned receiver.

#8 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:51 PM

Thank you all for your insightful info- I'm glad i found this site!!

I intend to sign up with Directv to get the initial installation & equipment for at least an HD & another receiver. If however, if i were get an extra tv down the road & want to add a receiver for it, would it be better to add the receiver thru directv or... can i buy a used receiver, pay $20 for a new "card" from directv & not pay the lease of $5 per month for leasing it?

Thanks again, this site is such a great resource!

In my personal opinion i would order ALL receivers that you would need for your current TV's plus, any receivers your plan to add "down the road" even if it is 6-8 months from now..

Reason i say this is ..... say harry homeowner calls up D* and say "i would like to have 2 standard receivers and a HD DVR installed" and the installer comes and sets him up...... one month later he decided "i would like a TV in the garage" sure.. D* will send ya a receiver but it will cost ya $$$$ , then if you need a tech to come install it... more $$$$

Now, if harry homeowner calls and says "i would like 3 standard receivers and a HD DVR installed" ( keep in mind that he plans to put the 3rd in the garage later) everything is already there... the 3rd receiver was FREE with his new customer deal so, all he has to do is get the TV and hook it up... sure, u will have to pay the 4.99 monthly fee for the extra receiver but, its alot cheaper then what it cost to add it later.......

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch
Living Room: R16-300
Master Bedroom: D12-500
Kids Bedroom: D12-500

Proudly Non Comcastic since 2007

#9 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:05 PM

In my personal opinion i would order ALL receivers that you would need for your current TV's plus, any receivers your plan to add "down the road" even if it is 6-8 months from now..

Reason i say this is ..... say harry homeowner calls up D* and say "i would like to have 2 standard receivers and a HD DVR installed" and the installer comes and sets him up...... one month later he decided "i would like a TV in the garage" sure.. D* will send ya a receiver but it will cost ya $$$$ , then if you need a tech to come install it... more $$$$

Now, if harry homeowner calls and says "i would like 3 standard receivers and a HD DVR installed" ( keep in mind that he plans to put the 3rd in the garage later) everything is already there... the 3rd receiver was FREE with his new customer deal so, all he has to do is get the TV and hook it up... sure, u will have to pay the 4.99 monthly fee for the extra receiver but, its alot cheaper then what it cost to add it later.......

Technicians are not allowed to leave equipment that are not connected. They should also not be activating equipment that is not connected to a TV. So at the minimum I would have a portable tv that you can move into the room to make sure everything is working prior to. Remember if it doesn't work and it goes past 90 days you have to pay to get it fixed without the prot plan.

spam firewall