Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Leave or take old equipment....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hardin Thicke

Hardin Thicke

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:02 PM

My son in law had his HD service upraded to include all of the new channels since his original installation. He got a new DVR and dish. The equipment and service was provided without a charge, although I don't know if an extended commitment was required. His old TiVO HD DVR had many hours of recordings that he wanted to transfer to a DVD. The installer insisted that he had to take the old DVR. Yet, when I switched satellite providers recently, DirecTV told me to keep my old equipment (5 year old SD DVR) as I owned the equipment. Is it standard practice for installers to take the old equipment with them?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:11 PM

Yes, techs are supposed to take the old equipment with them. Not all techs do this though.

#3 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:44 AM

If they insist on taking your old equipment when they leave and it is owned equipment, make them sign a document stating you own out right the HD DVR they installed to replace it. If not do not let them take it, as it is owned by you, if you paid the $ 400 to $ 600 for it years ago. If they try and take it DO NOT LET THEM. Remember you are now getting leased equipment from them.

#4 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:08 AM

I have two D* receivers (an HDVR2 DirecTivo and an old RCA box) left over from previous installations. Both were purchased, not leased, equipment. The HDVR2 was in service when my HR21 and Slimline 5LNB dish were installed in January 2008. The installer said nothing about having to take the old HDVR2 when he left.

#5 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:27 AM

This is an interesting thread. I have 3 D-10's which were sent to me unsolicited about two months ago when I was "negotiating" to get two HD DVR's at the lowest possible price and a SWMLine dish to replace my one HD receiver and several Replay TV recorders (I have no idea why they sent them), and a D-11 which was sent to me about 6 months ago under the protection plan because my old Sony SD receiver seemed to be on its last legs (and then the old Sony had a second wind and was working until replaced by an HR-22) AND a D-12 receiver which was brought by mistake and activated by the technician despite my having "purchased" an R22 to use (I was told by D* that he did that in order to get paid for activating it even though it was never actually hooked up and the card was still in its plastic cover and, of course the legacy receivers that were replaced. The only thing that the technician took was the HD receiver they were replacing for free. I spoke to them at the time (three or four weeks ago) and they said they would be sending a return package for the D12 but they didn't want any of the others.

I have yet to receive any package to return anything and I guess I will wait a couple more weeks but before the holidays I intend to throw everything in the garbage. How long should I wait? I suspect they have forgotten all about these things and they are not all that valuable anyway. Only the D-12 could even be used with the new dishes from what I understand.

I wish the guy had taken them, although I live in a city that has a liberal trash pile policy. It is still a pain.

#6 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:01 PM

I have two D* receivers (an HDVR2 DirecTivo and an old RCA box) left over from previous installations. Both were purchased, not leased, equipment. The HDVR2 was in service when my HR21 and Slimline 5LNB dish were installed in January 2008. The installer said nothing about having to take the old HDVR2 when he left.

As I stated earlier, not all techs remove the equipment like they are supposed to do. I don't because I'd rather not be caught in the middle if the customer gets charged for not returning a leased receiver.

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:06 PM

My son in law had his HD service upraded to include all of the new channels since his original installation. He got a new DVR and dish. The equipment and service was provided without a charge, although I don't know if an extended commitment was required. His old TiVO HD DVR had many hours of recordings that he wanted to transfer to a DVD. The installer insisted that he had to take the old DVR. Yet, when I switched satellite providers recently, DirecTV told me to keep my old equipment (5 year old SD DVR) as I owned the equipment. Is it standard practice for installers to take the old equipment with them?

Here's the reason: folks with HD TiVos (HR10-250s) are being upgraded to current HD-DVRs, including a dish upgrade if necessary, for FREE. However, one condition of that FREE upgrade is that the HR10-250 is taken. The reason for that is because when the free upgrade program first started, people would keep their HR10, reactivate it, and then call and get a second and even third "replacement upgrade" for free. DirecTV caught on and started requiring that the techs take them, as the whole purpose of the free upgrade is to REMOVE the MPEG2 HD receivers from service.

Most folks who upgrade have to pay for that upgrade, either with an upgrade fee, a commitment extension, or both. The HR10 upgrade works differently, and thus has different rules.

#8 OFFLINE   Hardin Thicke

Hardin Thicke

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

Here's the reason..

Thank you, sir.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...