Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Program not available

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   skohly

skohly

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:35 AM

I know this has been discussed somewhat here but I still don't get it. I live in the New York DMA. I get 4 regional networks, YES,MSG and MSGplus and SNY. I get those channels 24/7 with no blackouts. Yesterday SNY had the college football game between Pitt and Louisville. It's part of SNY having the Big East. I get the error message saying program not available. I know this is wrong. I call Directv and go through the usual re-set the box 2 times, nonsense. I'm very polite to the CSR and get moved to a supervisor. The supervisor has no clue and finally sluffs me off. Is there any situation within your DMA that a game gets blacked out?
H20-100
Slimline Dish
5LNB

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:44 AM

Is there any situation within your DMA that a game gets blacked out?

Yes there is. If the game is on another station that has exclusive rights.

1) Most likely a local OTA station. Say it's on ABC or even your local independent that hardly anyone can receive, they will have exclusive local rights, thus it's blacked out on any other channel it's on. Also it's not just the OTA in your DMA, if an OTA station in a close by market tells DirecTV they claim your zip code then you'd be blacked out as well. Again, whether you can actually get said OTA station doesn't matter.

2) ESPN/Versus/other national sports network may have exclusive rights to the game as well. Usually though this works the other way around where if it's on MSG and ESPN then it would be blacked out on ESPN and open on MSG but you never know. However ESPN could have purchased the rights for your zip code, especially if you're "on the border" with another DMA, kinda in no mans land. Of course if the local CW station has the game then it would be blacked out on both ESPN and MSG forcing you to watch it on the CW station (doesn't matter if DirecTV actually carries it or not).

3) Could be a zip code error. If this is the case your best bet is to work with the station involved telling then DirecTV is blacking you out when you shouldn't be. That station then needs to get with DirecTV to make sure their zip code database is up to date. Could also be that the station never told DirecTV that your zip code shouldn't be blacked out or that DirecTV just didn't plain have your zip code entered in correctly.

If you are sure without a shadow of a doubt that neither of the first 2 are the issue (check all local OTA stations both in your market and the ones next door) then #3 is probably the problem. And you can complain to DirecTV all you want (and you should) but most likely nothing will get done unless you can get the network (SNY) to investigate it with DirecTV.

#3 OFFLINE   beavis

beavis

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:30 AM

Was it not on your local ABC? I have Gameplan and it was the ABC feed IIRC. The game was also on 681 and 640. (Altitude and MASN)

#4 OFFLINE   skohly

skohly

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:45 AM

Was it not on your local ABC? I have Gameplan and it was the ABC feed IIRC. The game was also on 681 and 640. (Altitude and MASN)

No it wasn't. SNY has the rights in NYC area. SNY was blacked out by Directv for what reason I don't know?
H20-100
Slimline Dish
5LNB

#5 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:19 PM

No it wasn't. SNY has the rights in NYC area. SNY was blacked out by Directv for what reason I don't know?

that game is owned by the ESPN game plan, and only the local RSNs were allowed to show it in the local areas. everyone else needed the gameplan
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#6 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:29 AM

that game is owned by the ESPN game plan, and only the local RSNs were allowed to show it in the local areas. everyone else needed the gameplan

Good call. Anything on ESPN Game Plan and the upcoming ESPN Full Court that ESPN has the rights to for those package would then be blacked out everywhere except the local markets.

This is the same thing that happens in the Pro Sports. Say the Red Wings are playing the Devils and it's on both FS Detroit and MSG. Only in the home markets of the Wings and Devils can see the game on the RSNs, it will be blacked out for everyone else unless they have NHL Center Ice.

So in this case if ESPN Game Plan had the rights to the game only the Louisville and Pit local markets would get the game and everyone else needs to have Game Plan.

#7 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 02:34 PM

That makes no sense. Why would a NY RSN bother to pick up a game and then black it out in its own local NY market? An RSN should NEVER be blacked out in its own market.

The same problem occurred several weeks ago during a UCONN football game. I emailed SNY that the game was blacked out on Directv and here is the response they sent me:

"Thank you for your email. We are aware of the blackout that occurred on DTV and it was a mistake. There must have been an internal technical difficulty on their end. DTV is not required to black out these games, nor should they have. We are in discussion with them now to resolve the issue."

#8 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 02:45 PM

That makes no sense. Why would a NY RSN bother to pick up a game and then black it out in its own local NY market? An RSN should NEVER be blacked out in its own market.

The same problem occurred several weeks ago during a UCONN football game. I emailed SNY that the game was blacked out on Directv and here is the response they sent me:

"Thank you for your email. We are aware of the blackout that occurred on DTV and it was a mistake. There must have been an internal technical difficulty on their end. DTV is not required to black out these games, nor should they have. We are in discussion with them now to resolve the issue."

sorry, it does not have to make sense. most RSNs are owned by same company, and have the same programming except for games. errors do creep in

http://www.directv.c...assetId=1800007

#9 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 02:49 PM

The thing is that your RSN may have carried the game, probably like many others around the country, but the only "blackout free" zone would be in the teams home markets. Many other cases, as indicated, can trump the rights your RSN has to the game.

If you feel it's a mistake then contact SNY again and have them contact DirecTV to fine out what's up. Since it happened before then there is a mistake in the zip code database somewhere. Again assuming GamePlan rights didn't trump the RSN's rights.

#10 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:31 PM

The thing is that your RSN may have carried the game, probably like many others around the country, but the only "blackout free" zone would be in the teams home markets. Many other cases, as indicated, can trump the rights your RSN has to the game.

If you feel it's a mistake then contact SNY again and have them contact DirecTV to fine out what's up. Since it happened before then there is a mistake in the zip code database somewhere. Again assuming GamePlan rights didn't trump the RSN's rights.

Well SNY calls themselves "New York's Home for the Big East". So I don't think they intended for weekly blackouts. Something is wrong.

#11 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:18 PM

Well SNY calls themselves "New York's Home for the Big East". So I don't think they intended for weekly blackouts. Something is wrong.

So you need to get with SNY. We can't really solve this for you other then speculate. SNY management needs to talk to their contacts at DirecTV and get the issue corrected, assuming there is something to correct.

#12 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:21 PM

The game was blacked out on SNY the past 2 weeks.But the game was available on MASN & a few other FSNs.It definitely didn't make any sense.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#13 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:06 AM

I emailed SNY again about this issue and this is the response they sent back:

"We are frustrated that DTV has still not resolved the issue. They have assured us that it will not happen again this coming Saturday."

#14 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:36 AM

I emailed SNY again about this issue and this is the response they sent back:

"We are frustrated that DTV has still not resolved the issue. They have assured us that it will not happen again this coming Saturday."

Good. Keep hammering on SNY as they'll get things done a lot better then you will (you'll just get DirecTV form letters). But do complain to DirecTV as well so at least it's logged, just don't expect them to actually do anything about it.

#15 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:41 PM

Good. Keep hammering on SNY as they'll get things done a lot better then you will (you'll just get DirecTV form letters). But do complain to DirecTV as well so at least it's logged, just don't expect them to actually do anything about it.

ya, you will be told that Blackouts are not controlled by Directv, which is true.

#16 OFFLINE   skohly

skohly

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:16 PM

ya, you will be told that Blackouts are not controlled by Directv, which is true.

I'm the guy that started this thread and at the same time I wrote SNY. Today I got a response from them. As I suspected it's Directv's fault. Here is the response from SNY:

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your email. We are aware of the blackout that occurred on
DTV and it was a mistake. They are having internal technical
difficulties on their end. DTV is not required to black out these games,
nor should they have. We are in discussion with them now to resolve the
issue. They have assured us that the accidental blackout will not happen
this coming Saturday.

Best,

SNY
H20-100
Slimline Dish
5LNB

#17 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:24 PM

I'm the guy that started this thread and at the same time I wrote SNY. Today I got a response from them. As I suspected it's Directv's fault. Here is the response from SNY:

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your email. We are aware of the blackout that occurred on
DTV and it was a mistake. They are having internal technical
difficulties on their end. DTV is not required to black out these games,
nor should they have. We are in discussion with them now to resolve the
issue. They have assured us that the accidental blackout will not happen
this coming Saturday.

Best,

SNY

Now please email Directv and get their response as well. I ask this only to be sure we get both sides. Thanks

#18 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:53 PM

Now please email Directv and get their response as well. I ask this only to be sure we get both sides. Thanks

Will do you no good and you'll get no "side" from DirecTV other then from a clueless CSR that will send you back a form letter with a link to the FAQ on blackouts. He did the right thing and worked thru the channel which is the only way to get anything done. The channel's contacts are a whole lot higher up in the food chain then are minimum wage CSRs. ;)

#19 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:01 PM

Will do you no good and you'll get no "side" from DirecTV other then from a clueless CSR that will send you back a form letter with a link to the FAQ on blackouts. He did the right thing and worked thru the channel which is the only way to get anything done. The channel's contacts are a whole lot higher up in the food chain then are minimum wage CSRs. ;)

here is your clueless CSR response...

"In accordance with blackout rules, customers who subscribe to Sports Pack will not receive games outside their market on these channels.
  • Out-of-market games are sold separately via professional sports subscription packages."

#20 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:35 PM

here is your clueless CSR response...

"In accordance with blackout rules, customers who subscribe to Sports Pack will not receive games outside their market on these channels.

• Out-of-market games are sold separately via professional sports subscription packages."

Correct - that is exactly what he would get. The truth of the matter is that his area, as stated by his local channel provider (working in conjunction with those that deal with this at DirecTV), should not have been blacked out and there was an error on how DirecTV handled his area - they should NOT have blacked it out, and they did. Unfortunately, the only way to know if DirecTV corrected THEIR error is to see if the game is no longer blacked out this week.

I'll stick up for DirecTV more times than not, but they have in the past programmed things incorrectly that have caused blackouts when there should have been none.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...