Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Program not available

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:42 PM

getting Directv to admit to having control of blackouts is about the same as "sitten kun lehmät lentävät"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:05 PM

They don't have control of the areas that should or shouldn't be blacked out, but they certainly have control of which areas they program to get blacked out.

#23 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:30 PM

This Saturday on SNY is Rutgers vs South Florida at noon. I live 30 miles from the Rutgers campus so there is no way in hell this game should be blacked out.

#24 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:12 PM

getting Directv to admit to having control of blackouts is about the same as "sitten kun lehmät lentävät"

Well, let's clarify that. They "control" blackouts simply by having a zip code database and they enter in the zip codes to blackout as they are told *by the networks/sports leagues*. So when there is a mistake it is almost always simply an error in the zip code database. Either the channel told DirecTV the wrong zip code or DirecTV entered in the zip code wrong (fat fingered a number or something). And of course the channel and DirecTV will just blame each other in public. So when they say they don't control blackouts they are correct, they just blackout what they are told. DirecTV wouldn't black out anything if they had the choice. It's a major pain in the rump for them (and us!) But that doesn't mean a mistake doesn't happen here and there.

And you also have to understand, most people that post here and elsewhere that complain about a blackout simply didn't understand the rules. "Oh, I didn't realize the game was on my local CW and they had the rights to the game". Thus the skepticism at first.

#25 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:53 PM

I know this has been discussed somewhat here but I still don't get it. I live in the New York DMA. I get 4 regional networks, YES,MSG and MSGplus and SNY. I get those channels 24/7 with no blackouts. Yesterday SNY had the college football game between Pitt and Louisville. It's part of SNY having the Big East. I get the error message saying program not available. I know this is wrong. I call Directv and go through the usual re-set the box 2 times, nonsense. I'm very polite to the CSR and get moved to a supervisor. The supervisor has no clue and finally sluffs me off. Is there any situation within your DMA that a game gets blacked out?

A lot of colleges are going to PPV in market and ESPN GP out of market.

#26 OFFLINE   skohly

skohly

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:56 AM

Now please email Directv and get their response as well. I ask this only to be sure we get both sides. Thanks

I did. I'll let you know their response
H20-100
Slimline Dish
5LNB

#27 OFFLINE   spiderman865

spiderman865

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:00 AM

:icon_da:

This Saturday on SNY is Rutgers vs South Florida at noon. I live 30 miles from the Rutgers campus so there is no way in hell this game should be blacked out.

Ansky, know anyone that has cable in the area? Ask them if they are getting the game on SNY. What seems to be missed in this whole thread is people are being blacked out on there local RSN. It's just like putting SNY or YES on in the NY/NJ area and a Yankee or Met game is blacked out. Shouldn't happen...period.

#28 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:19 AM

:icon_da:
Ansky, know anyone that has cable in the area? Ask them if they are getting the game on SNY. What seems to be missed in this whole thread is people are being blacked out on there local RSN. It's just like putting SNY or YES on in the NY/NJ area and a Yankee or Met game is blacked out. Shouldn't happen...period.

Actually, several cases where it could happen have already been posted. You can indeed be blacked out of a game on your local RSN. I won't repost the half dozen reasons why this can happen.

In this case, assuming SNY isn't just blowing smoke, it appears to be a zip code mistake (again, we don't know who made the mistake). But there are indeed many cases where you might be blacked out on your local RSN.

#29 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:21 PM

Actually, several cases where it could happen have already been posted. You can indeed be blacked out of a game on your local RSN. I won't repost the half dozen reasons why this can happen.

In this case, assuming SNY isn't just blowing smoke, it appears to be a zip code mistake (again, we don't know who made the mistake). But there are indeed many cases where you might be blacked out on your local RSN.

+1 especially since the game was bought nationally by ESPN

#30 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:27 PM

+1 especially since the game was bought nationally by ESPN

That's what I don't get. Did ESPN "buy" the game before or after SNY decided to carry it? I mean, why would SNY even bother to pay for carrying a game if they knew the majority of their customers couldn't watch it anyway?

#31 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:29 PM

That's what I don't get. Did ESPN "buy" the game before or after SNY decided to carry it? I mean, why would SNY even bother to pay for carrying a game if they knew the majority of their customers couldn't watch it anyway?

before. it has been in the espn guide since sept/

#32 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:19 AM

before. it has been in the espn guide since sept/

If that's the case then it makes even less sense that SNY carried a game with two out of market teams that nobody is going to watch since they need Gameplan.

spam firewall