Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgrade receiver options...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   idigg

idigg

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:24 PM

Ok, here is the deal. I bought a SWMlnb on eBay, so I get both tuners active on my 2 HR21-700's. I have a D11-300 in our bedroom, and I have been told that the receiver isn't SWM compatible?

Would DirecTV let me swap for a newer D12 for a low cost? Any advice before I call? Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:15 PM

Possibly, just depends if you get someone knowledgeable. Note that they cannot guarantee a specific model as their inventory system is feature based, not model based (ex. SD, SD DVR, HD, HD DVR).

You might just look at buying a D12 from a place like solidsignal to guarantee that you get the model you need.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#3 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,100 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:21 PM

Since you will have to upgrade anyway, a R22 ($99) might be a good tradeoff compared to a D12 ($69).

#4 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:28 PM

Especially since the monthly price is the same!
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,228 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:15 PM

Since you will have to upgrade anyway, a R22 ($99) might be a good tradeoff compared to a D12 ($69).

Great suggestion. The R22 is SWM capable and offers a huge amount of recording capacity for an SD DVR.

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,173 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:51 PM

If you call in and ask if they will give you a new r22 and they won't for free.. you could always see if they will simply give you a h21 or h23 for free... those are swm... I doubt they will simply upgrade your sd reciever to a newer version, but they might do it for a hd box... and the monthly cost is the same, so thats not an issue for you...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...