Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

VOD Newbie

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 644 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:09 AM

Been reading about VOD and have decided to take the plunge. Due to my setup and it's wire restrictions I've decided to go with the wireless mode. I've ordered the Belkin - Wireless G Ethernet Adapter F5D7330. I aready have a Linksys wireless router. I understand I'll need to setup the Belkin with my security code for access to the network. My DTV unit is the HR-21 700.

If you're using a wireless VOD how do you like it?

Any feedback on the Belkin?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:16 PM

well I got the 2 Belkins adapters to connect. The only problem I'm having (you knew I had at least one) is that one of the units (both are HR-21 700) shows no VOD content while the other unit does. I'm already donwloading a test movie. I understand the 24 hours to populate, but that's weird that I can see content on one and not the other. Both got the Congrats message you're connected.:confused:

I'll give it until tomorrow before I dig deeper.

Any ideas?

FYI...the unit that did pull content has 2 lines going in while the other only has 1. Both have the 029B update.

#3 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:46 PM

Check your router to see if it identifies both devices. You should be able to go to channel 1000 the instant you have connected. While it won't have a huge selection it should show something.

#4 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:11 AM

...thanks!

I think what happened was that during my trouble shooting process, I re-booted the unit and this may have caused all my listings in the search area to disappear. We'll try again tonight.

Back to the other unit, this morning I checked the 'test' movie it downloaded. Everything looked fine except when I tried to view it all I got was the audio, no picture. I deleted it and now I'm downloading another 'test' movie.

Weird stuff!:confused:

#5 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:03 AM

Back to the other unit, this morning I checked the 'test' movie it downloaded. Everything looked fine except when I tried to view it all I got was the audio, no picture. I deleted it and now I'm downloading another 'test' movie.

Weird stuff!:confused:

After giving this some more thought, I remember last night while downloading the 'test' movie, my wife got on the cordless phone. Sometimes this wrecks havoc on my wireless connection. Do you this think would have caused the problem I had with no video?

#6 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,940 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:19 AM

After giving this some more thought, I remember last night while downloading the 'test' movie, my wife got on the cordless phone. Sometimes this wrecks havoc on my wireless connection. Do you this think would have caused the problem I had with no video?

I wouldn't think so. It could cause the download speed to drop, however. I tried a poor wireless connection to one of my DVR and it affected the audio and video on Media Share but not VOD (I switched that one to use powerline networking).

#7 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:26 AM

Thanks Bob

The movie appeared in the list file as complete, but when I tried to view it I only got the sound. Of course I only ran it for a minute. I'll try again tonight on a different movie.

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:37 PM

Were you testing a 1080p download? Have you confirmed that your TV is capable of receiving 1080/24p input signals? Until this year, most "1080p" TVs only accept 1080/60p signals and not 1080/24p signals. Film-based content is always in 1080/24p, whether on Blu-Ray or sat VOD.

#9 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:24 PM

Were you testing a 1080p download? Have you confirmed that your TV is capable of receiving 1080/24p input signals? Until this year, most "1080p" TVs only accept 1080/60p signals and not 1080/24p signals. Film-based content is always in 1080/24p, whether on Blu-Ray or sat VOD.

...no...I just picked a simple 'regular' movie. I have a Sony 46" Bravia which Sony claims to support 1080P. Now whether DTV supports it is another story. My HD channels in regular viewing mode look great. Just trying to figure out this VOD.:sure:

Thanks!!

#10 OFFLINE   ccr1958

ccr1958

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:52 PM

i take it you are using 2 belkin adaptors??
how many ip's is your router set to use??
i am guessing the belkins are trying to use the same ip addr..

#11 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:23 PM

i take it you are using 2 belkin adaptors??
how many ip's is your router set to use??
i am guessing the belkins are trying to use the same ip addr..

thanks...I'll check....but tonight it looks like things are ALL well. The 2nd test moview I downloaded this morning came in fine with good playback. The unit in the bedroom now has the VOD library populated.:D

now I can go back and complain about .290B NR.....yuk

#12 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:48 PM

What's the model number on the Sony?

#13 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:46 PM

What's the model number on the Sony?

KDL-46V3000

#14 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:26 PM

Okay, your TV does accept 1080/24p input signals, so it should pass the 1080p test. It is a fixed 60 Hz panel, so it has to convert to 1080/60 internally.

#15 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:19 AM

Okay, your TV does accept 1080/24p input signals, so it should pass the 1080p test. It is a fixed 60 Hz panel, so it has to convert to 1080/60 internally.

Thanks

I did download the Hulk test last night on the Sony and it worked fine. It's funny that they call it a 'Test', yet from what I understand you can download it and still watch it even though your set won't display 1080/24p. Some sort of conversion. If that's the case how does one know if they passed the 'test'?:confused:

spam firewall