Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Jerky video on DVR playback

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:13 AM

Had a strange problem last night. I had recorded programs from HBO and SHO. Both played back with normal sound but jerky video, kind of like it was slighty speeded up. This problem did not exist with recorded programs from a local HD station I watched yesterday morning. One of those programs was recorded early Saturday morning and the other two recorded early Sunday morning.

I've never seen this problem before. I have a program set to record tonight from an HD local. Will be interested to see if I have a problem with it.

This is the newer of my two 622s. Hope it's not a hard drive problem.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:57 PM

No, it's most likely a software problem. What you describe is one of the forms of "video jitter" that the beta team watches for very carefully. I saw a couple of instances of it over the weekend myself. Try skipping back - sometimes that clears up the jerkiness, sometimes it doesn't.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:12 PM

I'll try the skip back if it occurs again. Haven't had a software change for a few weeks but I did install new smartcards in both 622s either Thursday or Friday.

#4 OFFLINE   DustoMan

DustoMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:14 PM

Was it kinda like your picture was pulsing? I was watching History Channel HD last night and for maybe 15 minutes it looked like the video was jumping or pulsing slightly. It went away on it's own.
Dusto
dustoman at gmail dot com

Echostar customer since longer then I can remember.
SlingLOADED VIP922 on 1080p Panasonic HDTV
VIP222 on Windows 7 Pro PC

#5 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:32 PM

Had a strange problem last night. I had recorded programs from HBO and SHO. Both played back with normal sound but jerky video, kind of like it was slighty speeded up. This problem did not exist with recorded programs from a local HD station I watched yesterday morning. One of those programs was recorded early Saturday morning and the other two recorded early Sunday morning.

I've never seen this problem before. I have a program set to record tonight from an HD local. Will be interested to see if I have a problem with it.

This is the newer of my two 622s. Hope it's not a hard drive problem.

I've cleared this up by pausing for a few seconds then 1/15 slow-mo until it looks like it's back in sync then pressing play. It doesn't always work but usually it does.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#6 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:01 AM

A program recorded last night from local HD was just fine. Hoping the video problem was just a fluke but thanks for the suggestions for correcting it if it does happen again.

#7 OFFLINE   hughvh

hughvh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:45 PM

This just happening to me. Did the problem go away or fix itself?

#8 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:35 PM

I get this occasionally especially on sports. The last time it happened I used the 2nd tuner and tuned into the same channel and that one did not have the jitter.

This in with a 622 on live programming.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#9 OFFLINE   hughvh

hughvh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:24 PM

I finally called Dish about this. I geared up for a very unpleasant troubleshooting call. All they had me do was read a diagnostic code and I'm getting my 722 swapped out.

I'm shocked, I didn't think it would be that easy...

#10 OFFLINE   bruin95

bruin95

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:35 AM

I finally called Dish about this. I geared up for a very unpleasant troubleshooting call. All they had me do was read a diagnostic code and I'm getting my 722 swapped out.

I'm shocked, I didn't think it would be that easy...

...and totally unnecessary. The problem is software related, not hardware. You probably will experience the same problem on your new receiver.

#11 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:59 AM

...and totally unnecessary. The problem is software related, not hardware. You probably will experience the same problem on your new receiver.

"Refurbished" receiver. :)
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#12 OFFLINE   Jon W

Jon W

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:08 AM

We had the same problem at the beginning of Sunday's Vikings-Bears game. It was fixed after I power cycled the reciever

#13 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,313 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:45 PM

According to various reports, the problem with "jerky video" is being seen on the 622/722 and 612 series. I've seen more of it in the past couple of months on both my 722 and 612, and on various sources including HD locals and premiums. Problem is, I don't watch anything live and can't get anything OTA, so I don't know whether it's in the stream coming into my dish or just the analog component stream coming out of my DVRs.

I see it as a worsening glitch. But I'm waiting to see if they download this week a new software version that fixes the audio dropout problem because I have to believe it will be revised compression-decompression code which will affect video, hopefully not for the worse.

#14 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:15 PM

...But I'm waiting to see if they download this week a new software version that ....

See post #497 http://www.dbstalk.c...558#post1906558.

I wouldn't be holding my breath at this point! Now, see, this is where I would put a smilie exhaling and returning from blue to his normal color, if a smilie like this existed. :girlscrea

Debi

Hopper and one Joey
Sony KDL-40W5100 HDTV
Pioneer VSX-41 A/V Receiver
Magnavox DVD Recorder
Sony DVP-NC665P CD/DVD Player

Sony BlueRay Player

#15 OFFLINE   hcomputers

hcomputers

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:29 PM

I have (3) 612's since February. I have been having sporadic problems with my recordings on (satelitte HD and local channel hd via satelitte) The problem is every now and then the recording freezes for a second then continues. Sometimes audio skips, other times not. The dish people first blamed the HDMI cable and switched me to component and the problem continued. I know that it is not the actual recording because it happen while watching it record live one time. The fact that all 3 units are doing this seems to rule out the 612. I never had these problems with the 508's I had prior to the upgrade. Now they said that it was because I have all 3 units connected to APC Back-ups and that they are receiving too much power at times and that causes the unit to record erratically. The 508's were also connected to the same UPS's. I have connected them to the wall today and will test that idea out and see if my recordings still jump. One tech told me to have Dish switch me to the Eastern Arc instead of the Western Arc I am currently using. Any ideas......

spam firewall