Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about DNS waiver

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   johnson1995

johnson1995

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:41 AM

First I apologize if I've posted in the wrong forum.

My question is what happens if an affiliate fails to respond to the waiver request in the 30 days allowed. Do I automatically get that DNS? Could they come back later and deny it?

Of course what I really expect is they'll deny it the day of just to dash my hopes. :crying_sa

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,352 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:29 PM

I have been dealing with this myself. If they have not granted or denied it after 30 days you need to call the Vice President of Customer Service's office and ask them about it. D*'s policy says 45 days but I was told by that office to call after 30 days and they would see what they could do. According to the act from the FCC that D* is required to go by the local affiliate only has 30 days to respond before D* can power the DNS feed on for that local.

I will warn you its a battle. I have been dealing with it for 3 months already. I have been approved for NBC, ABC, PBS, and CW but not CBS and FOX. They are being really stubborn. I am probably going to have to get an antenna and hook it to my HR20-100 so I can DVR locals. I have been denied from CBS and FOX 3 times already but I check it daily and as soon as they deny I re-apply. Good luck with it. If you hit the 30 days and need to call the VP of CS then email me and I will give you the number you will need.

#3 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,978 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:10 PM

I have been dealing with this myself. If they have not granted or denied it after 30 days you need to call the Vice President of Customer Service's office and ask them about it. D*'s policy says 45 days but I was told by that office to call after 30 days and they would see what they could do. According to the act from the FCC that D* is required to go by the local affiliate only has 30 days to respond before D* can power the DNS feed on for that local.

I will warn you its a battle. I have been dealing with it for 3 months already. I have been approved for NBC, ABC, PBS, and CW but not CBS and FOX. They are being really stubborn. I am probably going to have to get an antenna and hook it to my HR20-100 so I can DVR locals. I have been denied from CBS and FOX 3 times already but I check it daily and as soon as they deny I re-apply. Good luck with it. If you hit the 30 days and need to call the VP of CS then email me and I will give you the number you will need.

If you are able to get the locals OTA, I'm surprised that any of them granted a waiver. Some stations won't grant any waivers (even if there is no chance of receiving them OTA).

#4 OFFLINE   wilsonc

wilsonc

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:25 PM

My question is what happens if an affiliate fails to respond to the waiver request in the 30 days allowed. Do I automatically get that DNS? Could they come back later and deny it?

Of course what I really expect is they'll deny it the day of just to dash my hopes. :crying_sa

D* could turn them on, however, once they receive a reply from the affiliate and the affiliate says no, they would have to turn them off.

#5 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,352 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:12 PM

D* could turn them on, however, once they receive a reply from the affiliate and the affiliate says no, they would have to turn them off.

Thats not true. According to the FCC they have 30 days. No where does it say they can respond behond that and the DNS gets shut off.
It does say if you have LIL in your area then you should lose DNS service but thats different.

#6 OFFLINE   ZTerry

ZTerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:12 PM

If you can get a waiver for DNS, will you receive the distant networks in HD? If so, limited to either east or west, or with a waiver can you receive both east and west in HD? Thanks.

#7 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,352 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:11 AM

If you can get a waiver for DNS, will you receive the distant networks in HD? If so, limited to either east or west, or with a waiver can you receive both east and west in HD? Thanks.

I was granted waivers for SD for east and west coast for NBC and ABC but denied for HD coverage so I am not sure if I would of got east and west coast for HD DNS.

#8 OFFLINE   ZTerry

ZTerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:19 AM

I was granted waivers for SD for east and west coast for NBC and ABC but denied for HD coverage so I am not sure if I would of got east and west coast for HD DNS.

Not sure I understand your reply. You say you were denied HD coverage but then state that you are not sure if you would get the east and west coast HD DNS. Seems like you answered your own question as you were denied HD coverage. Am I missing something here? Thanks.

#9 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,352 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:17 AM

Not sure I understand your reply. You say you were denied HD coverage but then state that you are not sure if you would get the east and west coast HD DNS. Seems like you answered your own question as you were denied HD coverage. Am I missing something here? Thanks.

I was stating that I got east and west coast coverage for SD DNS but am not sure if granted HD feed for DNS if it is for just one coast or for both like the SD. Do you understand now?

#10 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:33 AM

I had east/west sd of all 4 majors, then my SD LIL were turned on and I lost them. so far NBC is the only one that is allowing me 1 east coast HD feed.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#11 OFFLINE   ZTerry

ZTerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:13 PM

I was stating that I got east and west coast coverage for SD DNS but am not sure if granted HD feed for DNS if it is for just one coast or for both like the SD. Do you understand now?

You say you were denied HD coverage so I don't undertand why you are not sure whether you will be granted HD feed for DNS? I must have misinterpeted your statement. In addition, I didn't think anybody received DNS in HD anymore. If so, I would like to find out the circumstances that allowed them to retain HD DNS. At first, DirecTV shut people off from either the east or the west, and then in August they shut them all down.

#12 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:04 PM

In addition, I didn't think anybody received DNS in HD anymore. If so, I would like to find out the circumstances that allowed them to retain HD DNS. At first, DirecTV shut people off from either the east or the west, and then in August they shut them all down.

I've had one HD DNS channel for a couple of years -- got it before my area had HD locals. I fully expected it to be shut off soon after that, but it stayed on. Then this past August, they started shutting people off -- I even got an automated phone call about it -- but here it is, almost three months later, and it is still on. I'm not complaining ...

#13 OFFLINE   johnson1995

johnson1995

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:27 PM

If you hit the 30 days and need to call the VP of CS then email me and I will give you the number you will need.

Denied on day 30.:mad: :mad: :mad:

#14 OFFLINE   ZTerry

ZTerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:04 PM

I've had one HD DNS channel for a couple of years -- got it before my area had HD locals. I fully expected it to be shut off soon after that, but it stayed on. Then this past August, they started shutting people off -- I even got an automated phone call about it -- but here it is, almost three months later, and it is still on. I'm not complaining ...

Good for you! I think it is worth it just for the weather girl on KBNC which just went HD with its news a few months ago.

I take it you still have one of the original no longer available base packages? Would you dare switch base packages now? Nobody seems to have an answer to whether such a switch would disconnect the DNS. I guess no one except those that have actually switched would know.

#15 OFFLINE   Laker44

Laker44

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:05 PM

If you qualify you would only get the HD feed from one of the coasts.I believe they divided it by the central time zone.I live east of the central time zone and get the east coast HD feed and get both SD feeds.

#16 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

Good for you! I think it is worth it just for the weather girl on KBNC which just went HD with its news a few months ago.

I take it you still have one of the original no longer available base packages? Would you dare switch base packages now? Nobody seems to have an answer to whether such a switch would disconnect the DNS. I guess no one except those that have actually switched would know.

I actually changed to a new package about a year ago (PLUS HD DVR), and thought I would lose the HD DNS channel then, but nope, still there. :D

#17 OFFLINE   ZTerry

ZTerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:43 PM

I actually changed to a new package about a year ago (PLUS HD DVR), and thought I would lose the HD DNS channel then, but nope, still there. :D

Cool. Did you make the change via DirecTV.com or by calling a CSR? Thanks!

(Want to change base packages, but still would like to retain DNS even if only SD; now if only you could tell me a way to get these in HD!!)

#18 OFFLINE   Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:14 PM

(Want to change base packages, but still would like to retain DNS even if only SD; now if only you could tell me a way to get these in HD!!)

I switched from one of the old packages back in March and kept my ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX SD DNS. I also was given ABC and FOX HD DNS due to the location of these channels from my home (65-90 miles). I switched on the website. No problem.

As far as how to get HD DNS. If you aren't automatically given the channels such as I was you have to submit waiver requests and then wait and HOPE/PRAY. Odds are you will be denied but never know. It's like the lottery at this point. Somebody always wins...just usually not you or somebody you know. :D

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: budracin88

#19 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:36 PM

I made the change by calling. As I recall, I tried to do it on the website, but it wasn't working right -- when I tried to switch to the PLUS HD DVR package, it kept adding on an extra $10 for the HD access fee, but that's included in that package. So I ended up having to call to make sure I didn't get billed twice for that.

#20 OFFLINE   ZTerry

ZTerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:43 PM

I switched from one of the old packages back in March and kept my ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX SD DNS. I also was given ABC and FOX HD DNS due to the location of these channels from my home (65-90 miles). I switched on the website. No problem.

As far as how to get HD DNS. If you aren't automatically given the channels such as I was you have to submit waiver requests and then wait and HOPE/PRAY. Odds are you will be denied but never know. It's like the lottery at this point. Somebody always wins...just usually not you or somebody you know. :D

Thanks for the info! I take it you must not receive local stations in HD from DIrecTV which is why you were able to obtain ABC and FOX HD DNS channels? Surprising then that you didn't also receive CBS HD and NBC HD channels.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...