Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about DNS waiver

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jjn

jjn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:00 PM

Thanks for the info! I take it you must not receive local stations in HD from DIrecTV which is why you were able to obtain ABC and FOX HD DNS channels? Surprising then that you didn't also receive CBS HD and NBC HD channels.

About 2 years ago we upgraded to HD and requested waivers for ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX. All were granted except for NBC.
It was denied.
By using this link;
http://directvdnseli...ddressForm.aspx
Were supposed to get a grade B signal for NBC.
If I enter an address that is just a half mile up the street, we can get a waiver for NBC HD.
We do get the locals in SD.
No way can we get NBC in HD to many Redwood trees and mountains in the way.
After the last 2 lockups of our HR20-700's because of 0x029* I called D* to complain and again asked for NBC in HD.
I was told that I needed to request a signal test and that it would cost me $150-$500. Got the form last week, filled it out and sent it back to D*.
No response yet.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:21 AM

About 2 years ago we upgraded to HD and requested waivers for ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX. All were granted except for NBC.
It was denied.
By using this link;
http://directvdnseli...ddressForm.aspx
Were supposed to get a grade B signal for NBC.
If I enter an address that is just a half mile up the street, we can get a waiver for NBC HD.
We do get the locals in SD.
No way can we get NBC in HD to many Redwood trees and mountains in the way.
After the last 2 lockups of our HR20-700's because of 0x029* I called D to complain and again asked for NBC in HD.
I was told that I needed to request a signal test and that it would cost me $150-$500. Got the form last week, filled it out and sent it back to D.
No response yet.

Let us know how the test goes.

#23 OFFLINE   Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:17 AM

Thanks for the info! I take it you must not receive local stations in HD from DIrecTV which is why you were able to obtain ABC and FOX HD DNS channels? Surprising then that you didn't also receive CBS HD and NBC HD channels.

I don't receive ANY locals (SD or HD) from Directv. I had eligible status (on the directv website) for ABC and FOX due to their distance from me). My NBC broadcasts from about 30 miles away and I can get then at about 60% signal strength OTA. My CBS is about 10 miles from me but they have a transmitter problem and I can't get any signal. Neither CBS nor NBC will give HD waivers. They did give SD waivers about 4 years ago.

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: budracin88

#24 OFFLINE   jjn

jjn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

Well, sent the paper work in and got a reply in the mail with the # of the tester.
Called to find out the price and it was $175 just to come out and then $75 for the test.
Said I would call back.
In the mean time I got a email from dtv and expressed my disappointment that I could not get NBC HD.
Here is the response:

Your physical location is one of the factors that determines eligibility for HD DNS. I see that waiver request for the HD DNS feed of NBC was submitted on 11/17/2006 and was denied.

I have resubmitted a waiver request to NBC on your behalf, asking for permission to provide you with their digital (HD) broadcasts. Federal law allows your local TV stations 45 days from the date that they receive your waiver request to grant or deny it. Please keep in mind that federal law -- not DIRECTV -- sets strict guidelines for receiving these national networks, so we can't give you any guarantee that your local stations will grant the waiver request.

As soon as we receive news - good or bad - from your local TV stations, we will mail you a postcard notification. You will see the digital (HD) feeds from any local station that grants you a waiver, as long as you have an HD-ready television, a DIRECTV HD or HD DVR Receiver, a DIRECTV Multi-Satellite Dish and local channels from DIRECTV.

That was on 12/03/08 and no news.
My understanding is if there is no response within 45 days from the station DTV can grant the waiver and turn on the signal.

#25 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:08 PM

I have resubmitted a waiver request to NBC on your behalf, asking for permission to provide you with their digital (HD) broadcasts. Federal law allows your local TV stations 45 days from the date that they receive your waiver request to grant or deny it. Please keep in mind that federal law -- not DIRECTV -- sets strict guidelines for receiving these national networks, so we can't give you any guarantee that your local stations will grant the waiver request.

As soon as we receive news - good or bad - from your local TV stations, we will mail you a postcard notification. You will see the digital (HD) feeds from any local station that grants you a waiver, as long as you have an HD-ready television, a DIRECTV HD or HD DVR Receiver, a DIRECTV Multi-Satellite Dish and local channels from DIRECTV.

My understanding is if there is no response within 45 days from the station DTV can grant the waiver and turn on the signal.

First of all the 45 days is not the federal law. Its 30 days according to the FCC. I call them on that everytime. D* gives 45 days but the FCC says if a affiliate does not reply after 30 days the waiver is considered granted and D* may turn on the station but they wont. If you want to know the status of the waiver check yourself online. Here is the link. http://www.directv.c...80022#h:563.884

If you need to resubmit the waiver use this link and do it yourself to. Dont wait on D* you can resub this every time its denied even the same day. I have done this and had all but one approved and I am in a grade A signal area. Most would tell you no way in hell I would get one approved under these conditions. Well I have so try it.

http://www.directv.c...80022#h:563.385

#26 OFFLINE   NASCR2424

NASCR2424

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

Well, sent the paper work in and got a reply in the mail with the # of the tester.
Called to find out the price and it was $175 just to come out and then $75 for the test.
Said I would call back.
In the mean time I got a email from dtv and expressed my disappointment that I could not get NBC HD.
Here is the response:

Your physical location is one of the factors that determines eligibility for HD DNS. I see that waiver request for the HD DNS feed of NBC was submitted on 11/17/2006 and was denied.

You can also call your local station and talk to the person that approves or denys the waiver. I did this and explained my situation and why I wanted the waiver, the engineer at my local ABC station approved it while I was on the phone with him, my local NBC station said that it was there policy to deny all waivers no matter what the situation. so its worth a shot

#27 OFFLINE   trevm

trevm

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:26 PM

If I may ask, what did you say to the engineer to get it approved? I might have call two of the stations in Fargo ND. and make a request.
Thanks

#28 OFFLINE   NASCR2424

NASCR2424

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:29 PM

If I may ask, what did you say to the engineer to get it approved? I might have call two of the stations in Fargo ND. and make a request.
Thanks

I told the engineer where I lived and explained what type of antenna I had and that i wasn't able to receive the digital signal and basically that I just wanted to watch ABC and wasn't able to. I told him I had a waiver request already submitted a couple of weeks before. He told me he understood and that were I lived there was no way to get the digital signal. He put me on hold for two minutes, came back and said my waiver was granted. I got home about an hour later and I had ABC. Like I said it has been about two years ago. On the other hand I did the same thing for NBC and that engineer basically told me he was sorry I couldn't get the signal and it was there policy to deny all waivers no matter what.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...