Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

REALLY slow.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   decubs

decubs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:34 PM

Hi all,

I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I've tried many downloads from DOD using Verizon DSL, and cannot get over how slow this is. I've done the speedtest and found download speeds over 2MBPS (sic?), and have zero complaints about my internet service speeds when surfing internet, or downloading. Is this just a DIRECTV problem? Has anyone else experienced this or something like it?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,668 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:51 PM

2Mbps (the case is important) is not speedy. At its peak, the best you can expect is real-time SD downloading. With HD content, you're probably looking at half a day to all day for a feature length HD movie.

#3 OFFLINE   decubs

decubs

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:24 PM

2Mbps (the case is important) is not speedy. At its peak, the best you can expect is real-time SD downloading. With HD content, you're probably looking at half a day to all day for a feature length HD movie.

I know this might be off topic, but would this also hold true for AppleTV or Vudu, or other broadband VOD offerings?

#4 OFFLINE   eperrone

eperrone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:39 PM

Hey guys,

I have AT&T dsl ultimate service and I have done quite few speed tests today all have been about 3.8 to 4.1 Mbps which as far as I know is not that slow as on our previous DVR we downloaded many DOD shows with no problem. Howver today I am trying to download 1 SD show for DOD and it has been well over an hour and it is still only downloaded 25 of 27 min

I do not notice any other network problems and so I am starting to wonder if 1) my dvr has a bad port, or 2) AT&T is throttling my service.

Does anyone know how I can check my throughput from the DVR? Does anyone know the servers that the On demand stuff hits? Can we ping them?

Thanks

Oh right today I also tried to use the DIRECT2PC service and could not get it to work smoothly on either SD or HD content.

#5 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:28 PM

Hey guys,
Does anyone know how I can check my throughput from the DVR? Does anyone know the servers that the On demand stuff hits? Can we ping them?

Thanks

Oh right today I also tried to use the DIRECT2PC service and could not get it to work smoothly on either SD or HD content.

I have dd-wrt firmware on my routers, which has graphs that show the throughput on the router...so usually when I have DOD happening, I will see this bandwidth report to see how much speed I am getting. Assuming, you have not much other ul/dl activity going on your network, this should largely reflect your DVR throughput...

If this is slow, and then you try your normal speed tests and those seem fine, it could indicate issues with the On demand servers.

The Direct2PC speeds shouldnt be affected by the internet speeds though.

#6 OFFLINE   theesir

theesir

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:35 AM

Hey guys,

I have AT&T dsl ultimate service and I have done quite few speed tests today all have been about 3.8 to 4.1 Mbps which as far as I know is not that slow as on our previous DVR we downloaded many DOD shows with no problem. Howver today I am trying to download 1 SD show for DOD and it has been well over an hour and it is still only downloaded 25 of 27 min

I do not notice any other network problems and so I am starting to wonder if 1) my dvr has a bad port, or 2) AT&T is throttling my service.

Thanks

I have RoadRunner high speed with tested download speeds consistantly at 9-10mbs, and it took over 3 hours to download a 1.5 hr HD move and yesterday almost 2 hours to download a 2 hr SD(!!) movie.

I think there is something wrong on the D* side. I used to be very happy with how quickly content downloaded, now this service is almost useless to me unless I plan to watch a movie a day or so in advance.

Has anyone else noticed their download speeds getting worse?

#7 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:29 PM

So I was trying to watch an SD movie ondemand, and I saw I was getting download speeds of 1.5-3.x Mb/s..I started watching a few minutes after I initiated download, and watched for about 8-9 minutes and still hadn't caught up with the download. Not sure if I would have if I had continued longer.

#8 OFFLINE   KoRn

KoRn

Legend

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:48 PM

That is weird. I have Charter cable and on the 16mb/2mb plan. I can dl sd and hd movies in minutes.

I have RoadRunner high speed with tested download speeds consistantly at 9-10mbs, and it took over 3 hours to download a 1.5 hr HD move and yesterday almost 2 hours to download a 2 hr SD(!!) movie.

I think there is something wrong on the D* side. I used to be very happy with how quickly content downloaded, now this service is almost useless to me unless I plan to watch a movie a day or so in advance.

Has anyone else noticed their download speeds getting worse?

#9 OFFLINE   theesir

theesir

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:30 PM

That is weird. I have Charter cable and on the 16mb/2mb plan. I can dl sd and hd movies in minutes.

Maybe you're getting connected to a different server. Last night I test DL speeds my provider was giving me and it was near 10mbs, but Jumanji in SD took almost 5 1/2 hours to download:(

#10 OFFLINE   Cmnore

Cmnore

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:17 PM

D* servers are OBVIOUSLY bandwidth throttling.
ROOM 1:
Win7 HTPC - Athlon64 X2 4850e@2.5Gb/ ASUS M3A78-T/BDHD-DVD/ATI HD4670 - 1080p HDMI
HR22-100/AM-21
Sony KDS-60A2000 SXRD LCOS TV
Sony STR-DA5ES/Sony DVP-NS3100ES SACD/DVD

ROOM 2:
XPx64 HTPC - Athlon64 X2 5400+@ 3.2 Gb/ Biostar 790GX A2+/ATI HD4670 - 1080p HDMI
HR21-700/AM-21
Toshiba 42 inch LCD TV

BONUS ROOM:
R22/AM-21
Sony 27" CRT TV
GARAGE:
R22 SD-DVR
Sony 20" CRT TV

SHARED:
SWM-8/slimline DTV dish
Actiontec ADSL wired gateway
Linksys EG005 gigabit switch/OGV200

#11 OFFLINE   eperrone

eperrone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:24 PM

Must have been that particular day, my downloads are fast enough again for both HD and SD content.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...