Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Help: which dish do I need?

hr20-100 hang network

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Knucklehead Jones

Knucklehead Jones

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:35 PM

I'm confused by the plethora of dish antennas available for DTV reception. I have a new slimline installed on the house, with the H23-600 receiver in the LR and the D12-300 in the bedroom. What I need is a smaller antenna for the motor home.

I only take the D12 when traveling, so I'm looking for something lighter than the slimline for the MH. For that I only need regular programming (no HD) + local channels when I'm in the area.

I intend to travel to Arizona latter in the year, after Thanksgiving. I presume I won't be able to get locals (Spokane Wa) when traveling out of the area but it would be nice to get them when in the area and camping-fishing.
I tried to find the information by searching this site and on Google, spent the past 3 days looking, in fact, but didn't come across the answer to this question.

Anyone know which dish is the smallest one that fills the bill?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:53 PM

I'm confused by the plethora of dish antennas available for DTV reception. I have a new slimline installed on the house, with the H23-600 receiver in the LR and the D12-300 in the bedroom. What I need is a smaller antenna for the motor home.

I only take the D12 when traveling, so I'm looking for something lighter than the slimline for the MH. For that I only need regular programming (no HD) + local channels when I'm in the area.

I intend to travel to Arizona latter in the year, after Thanksgiving. I presume I won't be able to get locals (Spokane Wa) when traveling out of the area but it would be nice to get them when in the area and camping-fishing.
I tried to find the information by searching this site and on Google, spent the past 3 days looking, in fact, but didn't come across the answer to this question.

Thanks.

the round dish will work
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#3 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:27 PM

Thanks.

It would be the single LNB dish, or as Curt called it the round one.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:09 PM

An 18" single-LNB dish pointed at 101 will get you virtually all of the national standard-def programming (minus some Spanish- and other foreign language stuff). However, you won't get locals from the dish once you drive out of your spotbeam. You can register for DNS locals (LA or NY) with an RV request, which requires proof of RV. There is a fee associated with that, and you may lose your actual locals at home (not sure about that).

You will need a Slimline to get HD, so keep that in mind for the future.

#5 OFFLINE   Knucklehead Jones

Knucklehead Jones

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for all your replies.
For the immediate future, I am not interested in HD in the motor home, just want to get my local channels when I'm up fishing at the local area lakes for a few days. I want the lightest antenna possible, it gets windy around here. Plus, the extra heavy antennas are bigger, and as you all know, space in a motor home is limited.
I was under the impression that the local channels were not on 110, which is where pretty much all the standard programming is.

Does this mean I only need the 18" round single LNB? And that will pick up locals?
Sounds too easy, thanks to those who have replied.
This is a great forum by the way. I'll sure be hanging around now that I've found it.

#6 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:31 PM

Thanks for all your replies.
For the immediate future, I am not interested in HD in the motor home, just want to get my local channels when I'm up fishing at the local area lakes for a few days. I want the lightest antenna possible, it gets windy around here. Plus, the extra heavy antennas are bigger, and as you all know, space in a motor home is limited.
I was under the impression that the local channels were not on 110, which is where pretty much all the standard programming is.

Does this mean I only need the 18" round single LNB? And that will pick up locals?
Sounds too easy, thanks to those who have replied.
This is a great forum by the way. I'll sure be hanging around now that I've found it.

what is your zipcode

#7 OFFLINE   Knucklehead Jones

Knucklehead Jones

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:49 PM

#8 OFFLINE   Knucklehead Jones

Knucklehead Jones

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:51 PM

Not sure, but would this one work?

pullman.craigslist.org/ele/912058711.html

#9 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:58 PM

your locals come from 119 , you need a 3 lnb dish 101, 110,119

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,255 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:59 PM

According to Lyngsat, Spokane LIL come from 119W, so a Phase II (101W, 119W) or equivalent would be required "in area".

#11 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:04 PM

According to Lyngsat, Spokane LIL come from 119W, so a Phase II (101W, 119W) or equivalent would be required "in area".

phase II is not sold anymore. only phase III

#12 OFFLINE   Knucklehead Jones

Knucklehead Jones

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:41 PM

OK.
Now, how do you distinguish phase ll from some of the other antennas being peddled out there?
I posted a link to a craigslist item, it appears to be an 18" round with 3 lnb's.
I appreciate how easy it is for you guys in answering my questions. I just don't know the difference between phase ll and lll. For that matter, what they look like. Is there somewhere posted an example of all these different antennas?

My head hurts.

#13 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:50 PM

OK.
Now, how do you distinguish phase ll from some of the other antennas being peddled out there?
I posted a link to a craigslist item, it appears to be an 18" round with 3 lnb's.
I appreciate how easy it is for you guys in answering my questions. I just don't know the difference between phase ll and lll. For that matter, what they look like. Is there somewhere posted an example of all these different antennas?

My head hurts.

there is no longer any such thing as a phase II, only phase III. this is what you want http://www.solidsign...?PROD=OD1820-BX

#14 OFFLINE   Knucklehead Jones

Knucklehead Jones

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:18 PM

there is no longer any such thing as a phase II, only phase III. this is what you want http://www.solidsign...?PROD=OD1820-BX

Ahha, exactly what I'm looking for and the price is right.

Thank you so much. I just ordered one.

#15 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 885 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:29 PM

Thanks.

Obviously, the cheapest is if you have an old 18" 'round' dish from the 'olden days' of DirecTV, along with the LNB of course. Nice, btw, if you have an extra LNB to throw into the kit 'just in case' the one you're using gives up the ghost and your xMiles away from home.

There used to be a number of 3rd party folks that made 18" and smaller DBS dishes, but I think most of them are history now that everything has basically gone to multi-sat and HD stuff. But there might be a couple out there.

I still have a 16" fiberglass dish, along with a plastic carry case, I used for MANY years carrying around the country, even sans RV (checked baggage on airlines), with the receiver neatly tucked into the package along with 40' of coax and a signal meter for lining up.

Use that with my 5th wheel for a few years, until this last summer when I started converting everything to HD. Someone here came up with the idea of utilizing the old 3LNB dish (which I have in my garage now for 3 years since the Ka/Ku dish came out) that utilizes the LNB assembly from the slimline. I'll be 'field testing' that arrangement next summer, I guess! Meanwhile, I have the slimline w/tripod (and extra LNB heads) for right now.

But if you have the storage room in your setup to take the 18"er, and can come up with a good easy to whip out mount, it'll work just fine. Take a couple hunks of coax with you, sooner or latter some guy will run over your coax and try to haul the setup down the road. But most folks in the parks go slow and careful, even if they drive over your coax feed (i.e., get tough coax!).

I used to have the DNS (national networks) package years ago, but tossed it. I don't know exactly what the deal is these days, how exactly they separate the main home account from the traveling one; of course, this was before all the 'local into local' spotbeams, which I guess really dates me on that.

In most travel parks these days (btw, I have a 'space' I own down in Arizona plus a travel park membership), the number of sat dishes is jaw dropping. But this last summer, I was virtually the only guy (/idiot!) doing HD everywhere I went (just down to southern Oregon, though). Didn't see anyone else...

Take your compass, try the rig out in the driveway a few times so your setup routine becomes second nature. I had several years doing satellite/microwave both in the military and as a civilian engineer, so usually took about one second of looking at the compass and plopping the dish down. The HD stuff I found wasn't as hard as what people thought, but I still did the driveway routine a bunch of times before heading out on the road.

It's great! Go to it!

#16 OFFLINE   Knucklehead Jones

Knucklehead Jones

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the advice.
I've traveled with a Dish 500 for quite a few years, so I've had some experience with setting them up. I have a tripod that the new antenna will mount on as long as it doesn't require a mast more than 2". If not they are cheap anyway. I have one of the cheap signal meters, no sound but does have 13 and 18v so you know the coax at least is set up and the receiver is functioning. Finding the signal isn't too bad. And I have the obligatory compass from years ago when I used to hike a lot.

I don't travel in the motor home nearly as much as when I first retired. Got tired of 'camping'. So what that you can take everything along with you? The motor home doesn't have the home theater and stereo like I have at home, so its part of the reason I limit myself to about 4 months in Az. I don't generally camp at parks when I go around here, I usually 'rough it' if you can call camping in a motor home that! I've got 4 very large 6v golf cart batteries for juice and they run the tv and receiver off a 600w converter for quite a few hours before needing a recharge.
I may find a park model trailer for my stays down south rather than drive the motor home, especially with the price of gas fluctuating as it is.

It gets cold in these parts and when a guy can't golf, theres not as much reason to be here.

Well, I've ordered the 18x20" dish that curt8403 recommended. Its good for HD if I ever do upgrade the motor home tv system. I'll probably upgrade the sound before the tv. The D12 seems to have as good a sound quality as the H23 receiver.

Thanks again for all the help. If not for this place, I'd still be searching, rather blindly at that.
You guys are great.

#17 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:26 PM

I must correct you

that dish will fit on the mast of a dish 500 dish just fine, but we no longer broadcast HD on 110 and 119, so it will not work for HD :mad:

#18 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:35 PM

I must correct you

that dish will fit on the mast of a dish 500 dish just fine, but we no longer broadcast HD on 110 and 119, so it will not work for HD :mad:

Think maybe Solid Signal needs to correct their ad?.:rolleyes:

#19 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:36 PM

Think maybe Solid Signal needs to correct their ad?.:rolleyes:

yes, along with all the other retailers and the mobile systems

#20 OFFLINE   Knucklehead Jones

Knucklehead Jones

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:19 PM

Well, I've already pulled the trigger on that buy, so its on its way. The ad did say it will get HD. Its ok if it doesn't but would have been nice to get the HD signals for somewhere down the road.

Oh well.

spam firewall