Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

103 spotbeams

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Beefcake

Beefcake

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:15 PM

I am experiencing an issue with only one station, but it is on both of my HD/DVRs. The channel is my local NBC in HD ( which is coming off of the 103(s)) In comparison, both HD/DVRs are receiving the same signal strength on all sat. on both tuners. This leads me to the conclusion that the problem is not the receivers.
I should be getting (or at least I am told by the guide) 16 out of 32 transponders on the 103(s) bird.
Transponders read as follows:
1-8 36 98 0 0 58 99 n/a n/a
9-16 na na na na na na 77 100
17-24 0 0 92 99 88 0 60 93
25-32 all are n/a
The 103© is were most of my national HD feeds are coming from and transponders from there AND the 99© are all above 89. I have realigned the dish although in didn't need realigning. I have also bypassed my 6x8 multi-switch and am still receiving these few low numbers on the same transponders. I even have replaced the LNB just to see if that was the root of the problem. Still no luck. So my question is why am I getting five zeros and three other random transponders at less than 80? Am I even using all of these these transponders? What do I need to do to fix the problem?
The problem-channel is working fine 85% of the time; we are just experiencing very bad pixelization from time to time. Any input will be greatly appreciated and thanks to all who make this site what it is!:confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:22 PM

Spotbeam transponders are aimed at particular geographic areas of the country. Most cities have locals carried on one or at most two different spots. In your case they are likely on one or two of the very high readings, while the other spots are intended for other geographic regions. Therefore, low readings and/or zeros on many 103(s) and/or 99(s) transponders is completely normal.

As for what is causing your problem with pixelation on one particular station, that's something probably best brought up in the Programming Forum here. Note that there is a sub-forum linked at the top of that section for issues with particular cities' HD locals. Find the thread for your city and see if others are having the same problems. If so, it's likely to be an issue with that station and/or its feed to Directv, not your equipment.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:51 PM

103(s) is a spotbeam satellite. You'll only see high signals for the transponders that are beamed to your location; you'll see low signals for spots that you're on the edge of, and 0's for TPs that aren't used at all in your area. That's all normal.

The problem you're having may not have anything to do with your sat signal strength; it could be an issue with the feed from the local station to DirecTV, or a problem with the equipment on either end.

#4 OFFLINE   Beefcake

Beefcake

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for explaining the spotbeams to me. I was a little confused as to how they worked. Now I need to figure out what is causing my pixelization.

#5 OFFLINE   Beefcake

Beefcake

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:58 PM

I don't believe that the problem is with my equipment because both HD boxes have identical numbers on every sat transponder within to or three percent.

#6 OFFLINE   a1allen

a1allen

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:19 PM

how long are the cable runs from the dish to the recievers.you may have an integrity issue with the cable.total length should be less than a 100 ft .unless you have quad shield rg 6 with solid center conductor.copper clad steel css wont work well with long runs

#7 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:50 AM

Transponders read as follows:
1-8 36 98 0 0 58 99 n/a n/a
9-16 na na na na na na 77 100
17-24 0 0 92 99 88 0 60 93
25-32 all are n/a

Where in PA are you located? If you're in Harrisburg or Phila, then your transponder is 15 with a reading of 77. I'd say you need to align your dish. I had a similar situation where some of my readings were in the mid-90's, but the transponder carrying my LiL channels was around 70. I had to realign my antenna and that solved the problem.

If you're in State College, your transponder is 6 with a reading of 99. No problem there.

Scranton, the txpndr is 19 with a reading of 92. No problem there.

For some reason I couldn't find the Erie stations, and Pittsburgh looks like they're on the 99W. All of this info came from gct's post near the bottom of http://www.dbstalk.c...t=140519&page=3

Antenna alignment aside, if all of your HD locals are fine except one, I agree that it's not an issue with your equipment.

Good luck!

spam firewall