Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

D* CSR's don't understand me asking for 3 LNB on HD upgrade install...?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   akgarrett62

akgarrett62

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:00 PM

It's like they all think that the 5 LNB is all that they carry for HD. I asked the lady to put in their notes that I want a 3 LNB w/my HD upgrade...she's like "uh, okay".

Do they not understand not all markets needs to see all 5 sats for HD? I am off of Nashville market, and 3 LNB for HD is perfect.

what's up with that?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:02 PM

It's like they all think that the 5 LNB is all that they carry for HD. I asked the lady to put in their notes that I want a 3 LNB w/my HD upgrade...she's like "uh, okay".

Do they not understand not all markets needs to see all 5 sats for HD? I am off of Nashville market, and 3 LNB for HD is perfect.

what's up with that?

most reps don't know, and do not care/
the ordering system automatically picks the correct dish for you depending on area
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#3 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,649 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:06 PM

The CSR can't guarantee equipment and it doesn't matter what you request. It's what the installer has in stock. You'll get a dish capable of receving HD signals with your HD upgrade.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:07 PM

Also, make sure you're asking for the Slimline3 or SL3 dish. If you're asking for a 3LNB you will likely get a Phase III dish, the old oval dish which cannot receive 99c or 103c.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:17 PM

As others have pointed out, a CSR has zero ability to specify what LNB the tech will bring. That will be determined by the computer automatically based on where your SD locals come from. If they are from the 119 slot, you will get a 5 LNB. If this is the case, I'd be very surprised if your local warehouse even had the SL3. If your SD locals come from 101, then you may get the SL3. Some areas have been using them for a month, others (like Cleveland) have their heads buried in the sand and refuse to issue them.

You actually stand a good chance of making things worse by specifying a 3 LNB, for the techs that means the 18*20 ODU aka triple sat.

My advice, stop trying to work around the system. It does pretty good on it's own most of the time.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#6 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:42 PM

Why do you care whether you get a 5LNB or 3LNB setup as long as it works and you get the channels you pay for?

#7 ONLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:37 PM

As others have said you are running into a frustrating situation because you are really trying to do something that can't be done. CSR don't setup what parts are used on an install. They can't even if they want to. The system automatically determines what you need for the install based on it's setup and that is it. It is the same problem people had trying to get an HR20 instead of a HR21. If you read about a new tech and want or need it for some reason your best bet is to buy it yourself or wait for it to become the new standard for DirecTV.

#8 OFFLINE   SDizzle

SDizzle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:55 PM

Is a SL5 and SL3 the same size and weight?!? Why would you care which one you get? It's not like a receiver you see and use everyday.
HR34-700 (1), HR23-700 (1), HR22-100 (1), HR20-700 (1), HR21-700 (1), HR21-100 (1)
Running a SWM16 with DECA
Retired: HR20-700 (1), HR10-250 (1), R10 (1), DTivo DSR-704 (1), D-10 (4), D-11 (4), R15-500 (4)

#9 OFFLINE   sswheeler

sswheeler

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:01 PM

With some installers, if they can't see 110 or 119 they will refuse the install. If a person only needs the SL3 for the install, then there is an easier chance to have an easy install done for the installer. From what I have seen, if an installer doesn't like the situation for the install or too difficult, they will make excuses to cancel it.

HR44-700/AM21

C41

HR21-200
R22-100(HD)
H25-100
D12-100

D12-100
SWM 16
AU9

Exede Internet (Cuz I live in the country and can't get anything else)

#10 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:38 PM

Yeah,

Why do you care? Count channels! My last gig with an HSP sub involved eq being pulled from trucks to be returned to a central office for inventory even though the motor was running and the customer was waiting.

DTV offers to provide the service you order. Providing that service is an opera with many strange scenes. While it is a goofy progression you can't play.

If you want to micromanage.....study what is in a hot dog or how a law gets through congress. Beer helps!

Joe

#11 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:46 PM

With some installers, if they can't see 110 or 119 they will refuse the install. If a person only needs the SL3 for the install, then there is an easier chance to have an easy install done for the installer. From what I have seen, if an installer doesn't like the situation for the install or too difficult, they will make excuses to cancel it.

Exactly!

There used to be a $25.00 pay for a NLOS....(No Line of Sight). It just disappeared. So you now drive to the address on the work order and what?...........explain why the chances of getting a signal are so low that getting out of the truck is a waste of time?

There is no money in customer interface. Sometimes an alternate dish location can be established. When the customer understands what this installation will cost.........the cost of the engineering and proposal will be eaten by the conscientious tech. The drive-by guy is working on the next obvious job.

Joe

#12 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:52 PM

Also, make sure you're asking for the Slimline3 or SL3 dish. If you're asking for a 3LNB you will likely get a Phase III dish, the old oval dish which cannot receive 99c or 103c.

Stuart,

Many service calls are resolved by selecting the correct dish from the menu.
The 5LNB had three horns.....the phase III has three horns....and it goes like that.

What is needed is MacDonalds management! Big buttons and color coding the whole mess.

Joe

#13 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:02 PM

Stuart,

Many service calls are resolved by selecting the correct dish from the menu.
The 5LNB had three horns.....the phase III has three horns....and it goes like that.

What is needed is MacDonalds management! Big buttons and color coding the whole mess.

Joe

Don't I know it. I don't know how many service calls have been fixed on the drive to the customers house. Counting the "things" on the dish never works. :nono2:

Pull up, get out.
Me "working now?"
Customer: "yes"
Me "Sign here"
:D

And just to confuse the hell out of everyone:
Single/Dual LNBs have one feed horn, aka "thingy"
3lnb aka triple sats have 3. How about that.
International dishes have 2
Now the real fun begins.
The AT-9, SL5 & SL5s all have 3 but is a 5 lnb
and just to keep peeps on their toes
the SL3 & SL3s has 1 but is 3 LNBs.

:lol:

Don't count the thingys :P
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#14 OFFLINE   akgarrett62

akgarrett62

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:24 AM

I called back twice to make sure they new I was talking about the SL3, and they said they noted it...so I'm counting on them.

so maybe I will even get the SWM technology... I can't use the 5LNB cause no LOS on 119, but in our market we don't need it anyway...and that's even according to our local installers and local D* dealers.

#15 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:32 AM

Basically you'll only get an SL3 if it's available in your local market and the installers have some. If they don't you can buy one online like at Solid Signal and then either install it yourself or hire someone to install it for you.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...