Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV adding Adult Oriented Ads to Guide?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
85 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:57 PM

Was moving through the guide which is setup with a favorites list and saw that DirecTV had decided to add a new channel listing. Now, for some reason when they add a new HD channel it's NOT put in the guide, but when it's the chance to sell something they can figure out how. I'm talking about the "Club Erotix" Advertisement on channel 591.

This is what I found this afternoon...
Is this a horrible crime? No...but it's low-class and shows a complete disregard for parents. When you couple this type of stuff with the poorly working parental controls that has gone on for years you have to wonder where DirecTV's priorities are.

For the record...I don't want DirecTV to stop offering adult content...or any type of content for that matter. I believe that people can make their own decisions on what they want to watch. However, they should allow parents to COMPLETELY block any channel they deem to be objectionable from their children. This means blocked from the guide (including the fact the channel is even available), searches, advertisements, viewing, purchasing and downloading.

1. Allow parent to block ANY channel (meaning Playboy, MTV, CBS, etc.) completely from the guide, searches, DoD, etc.
2. Allow parent to block ALL content that exceeds the stated rating limit including the title of the content and the ability to download/record that content.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1226372190

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   krock918316

krock918316

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

It's not in my guide....but if I go to setup my favorites list 591 is a channel I can add.

#3 OFFLINE   memory

memory

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

Was moving through the guide which is setup with a favorites list and saw that DirecTV had decided to add a new channel listing. Now, for some reason when they add a new HD channel it's NOT put in the guide, but when it's the chance to sell something they can figure out how. I'm talking about the "Club Erotix" Advertisement on channel 591.

This is what I found this afternoon...
Is this a horrible crime? No...but it's low-class and shows a complete disregard for parents. When you couple this type of stuff with the poorly working parental controls that has gone on for years you have to wonder where DirecTV's priorities are.

For the record...I don't want DirecTV to stop offering adult content...or any type of content for that matter. I believe that people can make their own decisions on what they want to watch. However, they should allow parents to COMPLETELY block any channel they deem to be objectionable from their children. This means blocked from the guide (including the fact the channel is even available), searches, advertisements, viewing, purchasing and downloading.

1. Allow parent to block ANY channel (meaning Playboy, MTV, CBS, etc.) completely from the guide, searches, DoD, etc.
2. Allow parent to block ALL content that exceeds the stated rating limit including the title of the content and the ability to download/record that content.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1226372190

gimme a break!! If you lock your reciever and take make a fav list you wont see it

#4 OFFLINE   wolfs_darkshadow

wolfs_darkshadow

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:07 PM

Just remove the channel from the guide using the menu option.

#5 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:21 PM

I think the point is its a new channel that added itself to the guide, but I also don't consider it a big deal.
sorry.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#6 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:35 PM

gimme a break!! If you lock your reciever and take make a fav list you wont see it

It was a fav list (look at the screen) and the channel wasn't in it until it was added by DirecTV. Oh, and by the way...even completely locking the receiver won't prevent those shows from showing up in searches.

#7 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

Just remove the channel from the guide using the menu option.

I know how to remove it...I shouldn't have to. It was a Favorites list that I setup that we consider relatively kid safe (while we're there).

#8 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:39 PM

I think the point is its a new channel that added itself to the guide, but I also don't consider it a big deal.
sorry.

Dave,

I understand that many don't feel it's a problem. As I stated I'm not about to start painting signs and protesting in front of DirecTV's HQ about it either, but they could do a far better job with Parental Controls than they have.

#9 OFFLINE   lakerstan

lakerstan

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:46 PM

If you have kids that know what "Club Erotix" is instinctively, then other issues may need to be addressed.

The irony is that on that same screen, the word "Hooters" is clearly present on channel 603, and there is no objection to that.

#10 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:55 PM

If you have kids that know what "Club Erotix" is instinctively, then other issues may need to be addressed.

The irony is that on that same screen, the word "Hooters" is clearly present on channel 603, and there is no objection to that.

No, it's part of a title of a sporting event and the name of a restaurant chain. I also chose for that channel to be in my favorites list...so it's my responsibility. I didn't choose for the Club Erotix ad to be advertised on my screen however and I wish it wasn't placed there.

#11 OFFLINE   dvrwannabee

dvrwannabee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:00 PM

What is wrong with you people. D* put an adult oriented ad in his Fav list and everybody thinks that's ok! Ken S you should be upset. I haven't seen it but as soon as I get home from work tonight I'll be checking. If it is in my list I'll be calling customer service. If it happens again I'll cancell my service immediately.

#12 OFFLINE   memory

memory

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:05 PM

What is wrong with you people. D* put an adult oriented ad in his Fav list and everybody thinks that's ok! Ken S you should be upset. I haven't seen it but as soon as I get home from work tonight I'll be checking. If it is in my list I'll be calling customer service. If it happens again I'll cancell my service immediately.

LOL cancel your service hmmm WOW!!! I think some peeps need to get tougher skin sheeeesh!!! AND trust me your kids are seeing alot worse in school and from there friends and ohh yeah the internet!!!

#13 OFFLINE   wilsonc

wilsonc

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:28 PM

For the record, as it has been pointed out already, its not an ad, but a channel that happened to get added to the OP's guide. OP is overreacting.

#14 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:38 PM

Club Erotix..... Sweet.

Had no idea that channel was added, thanks OP.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#15 OFFLINE   mickcris

mickcris

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:43 PM

Did something else used to be on channel 591? Maybe it was previously on your favorites list as something else and that channel got moved. the it could have been put back when something was added to that channel again

#16 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:45 PM

LOL cancel your service hmmm WOW!!! I think some peeps need to get tougher skin sheeeesh!!! AND trust me your kids are seeing alot worse in school and from there friends and ohh yeah the internet!!!

I'll just assume you don't have kids...

It's not about thick skin or what my kids (or Ken's kids, or dvrwannabe's kids) are seeing in school or on the internet. It's about DIRECTV acting responsibly. I agree that this in itself is not a huge deal, but this kind of thing has been an ongoing problem with DIRECTV for some time.

It's my responsibility to monitor what my kids see and do on the internet. It's my responsibility to be aware of who my kids hang out with at school, and to be aware of what they are "into". It's my responsibility to monitor and limit my kids access to my DIRECTV system. All I have available are the tools that DIRECTV provides. And, those tool are sub-standard.

I would hope that this channel being automatically added to a fav's list was a mistake on DIRECTV's part. A mistake of which I hope they are now aware.

#17 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:47 PM

Club Erotix..... Sweet.

Had no idea that channel was added, thanks OP.

Smarta#!

;)
:lol:

#18 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:01 PM

;)

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#19 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:16 PM

Ken I dont agree with a lot of your opinions but I think that you have a right to be concerned here. If you have content blocked or have a favs list DirecTV needs to be respectful of that list and not insert items in there. Could this have been an accident, sure. Does that give DirecTV an excuse for accidents to continue, no. I'm not here to judge your values, mine are quite different, but if you went to the effort to make your DVR what you felt was a safe environment for your kids DirecTV shouldn't undo it for you. I suggest you use the VP email we all know and love to voice your opinion.

#20 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:16 AM

Did something else used to be on channel 591? Maybe it was previously on your favorites list as something else and that channel got moved. the it could have been put back when something was added to that channel again

591 is in the normal range of adult channels. It was probably another adult offering which got changed. Strangely, it only appeared on my guide in 2 of 4 machines.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...