Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV adding Adult Oriented Ads to Guide?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
85 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:17 PM

if the issue is in the guide itself write to

office of the president
DIRECTV, Inc.
P.O. Box 6550
Greenwood Village, CO 80155-6550

if the issue is Spike then write to

Spike TV
1515 Broadway
New York, NY 10036
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#62 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:55 PM

Your point is perfectly reasonable, Ken, and I don't see it as an over-reaction. I record some of the Star Trek series on Spike TV, and get pretty tired of the the constant "girls gone wild" dvd commercials. Fortunately the 30 sec slip works pretty well, but I find the material itself objectionable.

It is not a big deal, just offensive (to me) and perhaps others who don't care for immodest presentations. No letter writing, whining, wringing of hands stuff here...I just don't like it and move on. To those who think this material is interesting or "good", fine.

Having this kind of material appear in a Guide that has been previously filtered is a screw-up that should be corrected, it's as simple as that.

hasan,

The constant ads for those types of shows and ED medications are going over the top. I like to listen to sports talk in the car, but you can't anymore when every other ad is espousing how big she likes it and warning about calling your doctor if it stays big for over four hours. I know some of these stations are doing everything they can to stay in business, but they're also selling out their future as children can't/shouldn't listen/watch them.

#63 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:01 PM

If you just have a favorites list setup it will add new channels automatically that didn't exist before. What you want is your parental locks setup so that it blocks that type of content.

#64 OFFLINE   lmunster

lmunster

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:33 PM

Is there some reason you can't block the channel? I have channels blocked on my receivers including adult content. Just follow the menu system.

Was moving through the guide which is setup with a favorites list and saw that DirecTV had decided to add a new channel listing. Now, for some reason when they add a new HD channel it's NOT put in the guide, but when it's the chance to sell something they can figure out how. I'm talking about the "Club Erotix" Advertisement on channel 591.

This is what I found this afternoon...
Is this a horrible crime? No...but it's low-class and shows a complete disregard for parents. When you couple this type of stuff with the poorly working parental controls that has gone on for years you have to wonder where DirecTV's priorities are.

For the record...I don't want DirecTV to stop offering adult content...or any type of content for that matter. I believe that people can make their own decisions on what they want to watch. However, they should allow parents to COMPLETELY block any channel they deem to be objectionable from their children. This means blocked from the guide (including the fact the channel is even available), searches, advertisements, viewing, purchasing and downloading.

1. Allow parent to block ANY channel (meaning Playboy, MTV, CBS, etc.) completely from the guide, searches, DoD, etc.
2. Allow parent to block ALL content that exceeds the stated rating limit including the title of the content and the ability to download/record that content.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1226372190

#65 OFFLINE   Art7220

Art7220

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:36 PM

What is wrong with you people. D* put an adult oriented ad in his Fav list and everybody thinks that's ok! Ken S you should be upset. I haven't seen it but as soon as I get home from work tonight I'll be checking. If it is in my list I'll be calling customer service. If it happens again I'll cancell my service immediately.

That's not an ad, it's a channel listing. If anyone's gonna be that much of a prude, maybe they shouldn't be getting satellite.

All it says is "Club Erotix 6 channel block". BFD.

Cut the TV off, cut the internet off. No more problems. And ya might save some money in the process.

#66 OFFLINE   lmunster

lmunster

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:41 PM

That is the whole issue. It is not an ad it is a channel listing. This is really being blown out of proportion. IF you watch you satellite programming everyday, shouldn't you notice any new channels and block any inappropriate ones?

That's not an ad, it's a channel listing. If anyone's gonna be that much of a prude, maybe they shouldn't be getting satellite.

Cut the TV off, cut the internet off. No more problems. And ya might save some money in the process.

#67 OFFLINE   Art7220

Art7220

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:49 PM

Thank you Imunster:

I don't want to be down on anyone. I could see their point if on one of their channels, there was an ad playing for DTVs adult channels, or even a banner in the listings or menu screens. I could see complaining then.

Raising kids was much easier 30 years ago. Or it just seems like it.

#68 OFFLINE   lmunster

lmunster

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:53 PM

I guess some people don't realize that the adult programming has been in the upper 500's for years. Block everything from 580-599.

Thank you Imunster:

I don't want to be down on anyone. I could see their point if on one of their channels, there was an ad playing for DTVs adult channels, or even a banner in the listings or menu screens. I could see complaining then.

Raising kids was much easier 30 years ago. Or it just seems like it.

#69 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:09 PM

If you just have a favorites list setup it will add new channels automatically that didn't exist before. What you want is your parental locks setup so that it blocks that type of content.

No, it won't add channels that never existed before ALL the time. For instance none of the new HD channels are ever added to my Favorites List. It does happen sometimes, but the standard is they are not added.

I have the channel block on...All of the other channels in that range were blocked as you could see.

#70 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:14 PM

Oh, and what is that channel listing doing? It's advertising. If you bothered to read my first post you would have seen that I wasn't asking for anything to be denied to people that wanted to see it.

I just want the capability to protect my children from that content. Is that so hard to understand? Obviously, for you and some at DirecTV it must be. Now, if they had made sure their Parental Controls worked properly I wouldn't have a problem, but like many other things they don't and they should be fixed.

#71 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:16 PM

Is there some reason you can't block the channel? I have channels blocked on my receivers including adult content. Just follow the menu system.

Yes, a big reason...the channel block doesn't seem to work. Even when it does work it doesn't remove the content from things like Search or the name of the channels from the Guide. In some cases while you can't view the content you can download/record it.

#72 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:17 PM

the channel that is used to order the adult block was recently moved to a new channel that was not active before. the parental controls do not know to hide the channel as is is not in the list of channels to hide.

Annoying, but easily fixed

#73 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,908 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:20 PM

hasan,

The constant ads for those types of shows and ED medications are going over the top. I like to listen to sports talk in the car, but you can't anymore when every other ad is espousing how big she likes it and warning about calling your doctor if it stays big for over four hours. I know some of these stations are doing everything they can to stay in business, but they're also selling out their future as children can't/shouldn't listen/watch them.

You raise a very good point, Ken. I have almost become "numb" to the "dysfunction" ads. It's all an indicator of values. Many feel things have gone the wrong way, many feel just the opposite, and the rest don't seem to care.

I will have to say, from an adult point of view, the first time I heard the "four hour warning", I laughed out loud...at least until my wife, a nurse anesthetist, told me it really was a very serious condition. Being medically ignorant, as well as easily amused, I still couldn't hear the commercial without a silly giggle.

I can't imagine having to explain what I was laughing about to my own children.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#74 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,908 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:24 PM

I don't think it's any more necessary to call those with whom you differ "prudes", than for them to call those on the other side of the issue "moral degenerates", do you? There is no place for that kind of ad hominem attack on classy forums like those provided by dbstalk.

The issue perhaps merits debate, but not that kind.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#75 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:01 PM

That is the whole issue. It is not an ad it is a channel listing. This is really being blown out of proportion. IF you watch you satellite programming everyday, shouldn't you notice any new channels and block any inappropriate ones?

He is using channel blocking, but apparently due to something on DirecTV's end, this did show up in his channel guide. I doubt anyone checks their guide every day (nor should they have to) for such problems - even if they do have kids. Once he's aware of it, he can take care of it. But it shouldn't show up there in the first place if DirecTV is doing things right.

As for the All it says is "Club Erotix 6 channel block". BFD. comment, I would be interested to see what shows up in the program description area at the top if that line was highlighted instead of the movie listing above it. Would it be as generic as the line in the guide itself, or would there be an inappropriate-for-children description of the programming carried on that channel like you get with the search results?

I'm not a prude by any means, but even people who may even watch pr0n still don't want descriptions of it flashed before the curious eyes of their kids. :nono2:

#76 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:10 PM

the channel that is used to order the adult block was recently moved to a new channel that was not active before. the parental controls do not know to hide the channel as is is not in the list of channels to hide.

Annoying, but easily fixed

Curt,

Once again...thank you.

#77 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:39 AM

Well thank god this got resolved. I'd hate to think that there were any kids with permanent emotional scars over a few words on a channel quide.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#78 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:23 AM

Well thank god this got resolved. I'd hate to think that there were any kids with permanent emotional scars over a few words on a channel quide.

It's not fixed...just explained.

Thanks for your understanding and care.

#79 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:27 AM

It's not fixed...just explained.

Thanks for your understanding and care.

Ken S, king of sarcasm :) :)
as I stated its not a big deal to me, but if it is there it should work.
no matter what peoples views are, if it is a feature it needs to work correctly. if it does not work correctly it needs to be fixed.
plain and simple.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#80 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:38 AM

To be clear...I wasn't being sarcastic when I thanked Curt. He explained what happened and why the blocks didn't work.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...