Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Press Release: Dish Network's Award Winning ViP211/k DVR Conversion Available Soon

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:48 AM

DISH Network’s Award-Winning ViP211® and ViP211k® DVR Conversion Feature Now Available to Customers

Original HD Receiver Can Convert to DVR with External Hard Drive

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Nov. 11, 2008 – DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), the third largest pay-TV provider and digital television leader, today announced its award-winning ViP211® and ViP211k® DVR Conversion feature will be available at the end of the month. The DVR Conversion feature offers customers the ability to convert their single tuner ViP211® and ViP211k® into DVRs by attaching an external hard drive.

The DVR Conversion feature is an ideal option for current ViP211® or ViP211k® customers who want to experience all the benefits of DISH Network’s feature-rich DVRs with the simple addition of an off-the-shelf external hard drive.
“As a leader in high definition, DISH Network continues to expand its HD solutions for our customers, including finding innovative ways to take our existing technology to the next level,” said Jessica Insalaco, Chief Marketing Officer for DISH Network. “Now customers ready to add in the benefits of DVR recording to their HD receiver can do so with ease, simply by plugging in an off-the-shelf external hard drive.”
ViP211® or ViP211k® customers must call DISH Network to activate the DVR feature. Once activated, customers need to connect an off-the-shelf external hard drive between 50 GB and 750 GB. Customers can then access DVR menus similar to other award-winning DVR features, including name-based recording and search-based timer capabilities. Other features include a nine-day electronic programming guide, DVR functionality on both the satellite tuner and built-in OTA tuner, record and review conflict management, VOD capability, and the ability to play back a stored program while recording or watching another.

The DVR Conversion feature – engineered by DISH Network’s technology provider, EchoStar Technologies LLC, an award-winning digital media leader in set-top box design and deployment – was honored with an International CES Innovations Design and Engineering Award earlier this year at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Customers pay a one-time activation fee of $39.99 to enjoy the DVR feature. More information on the ViP211® or ViP211k® DVR Conversion feature will be available toward the end of the month at www.dishnetwork.com.

###

About DISH Network Corporation
DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH), the nation’s third largest pay-TV provider and the leader in digital television, provides approximately 13.78 million satellite TV customers as of Sept. 30, 2008 with industry-leading customer satisfaction which has surpassed major cable TV providers for eight consecutive years. DISH Network also provides customers with award-winning HD and DVR technology including the ViP®722 HD DVR, which received the Editors’ Choice awards from both CNET and PC Magazine. In addition, subscribers enjoy access to hundreds of video and audio channels, the most International channels in the U.S., industry-leading Interactive TV applications, Latino programming, and the best sports and movies in HD. DISH Network offers a variety of package and price options including the lowest all-digital price in America, the DishDVR Advantage Package, high-speed Internet service, and a free upgrade to the best HD DVR in the industry. DISH Network is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 300 company. Visit www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474) for more information.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:40 AM

Very cool. I think this is a great idea overall and hope other providers will soon follow in this idea.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#3 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 660 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:58 AM

At least you made your headline correct--SOON.

Dish's title says available NOW, their article says END OF THE MONTH?
Well which is it?
Evidently nobody at Dish proofreads their press releases.

#4 OFFLINE   twindaddy

twindaddy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:14 PM

Customers pay a one-time activation fee of $39.99 to enjoy the DVR feature.

Do they also have to pay a monthly DVR fee like 622 owners?

#5 OFFLINE   Lurker

Lurker

Legend

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:00 PM

If there is indeed no monthly fee, this will be extremely popular.

#6 OFFLINE   jubilee000

jubilee000

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 02:15 PM

If there is indeed no monthly fee, this will be extremely popular.

I just contacted D*sh about this, and they say that it will cost you $39.00 for the activation of the service, then you may use an external hard drive to copy your content onto it, sort of like pocketdish. That's what the representative compared it too.

He also mentioned that the monthly DVR would NOT apply. I think its a great deal, but there might be some restrictions that regular DVR customers don't have. It's almost like a too good to be true type of situation. I will believe it when I see it.

Besides, INDY HD locals with the other guys have been on the air for over a year now even though D*sh tells me that due to our local stations not carrying HD content and the "non-interest" are legit reasons not to pursue them.. If that's true, why do the other guys think otherwise? Go figure.

Jubilee000
---------------------
VIP 211 HD receiver
311 Standard Def Receiver
Dishes pointed 61.5, 110,119

#7 OFFLINE   kal915

kal915

Icon

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:49 PM

so it will only record?
not pause rewind and all that?
Dish customer since 2000.
Dish Latino Max with PBEE
HD Essentials
HBO, Cinemax, STARZ

#8 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:36 PM

It will act like a fully functioning single tuner dvr (pause, rewind, record, etc.). Its not really like a pocket dish because that is copying from a dvr that is already there to the pocket dish. This turns the 211 into a DVR.

It will be available on the 19th, and will be available on the VIP 211, VIP 211k, and the 411
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#9 OFFLINE   PAdishuser

PAdishuser

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:06 PM

When this was promised last year...the expectations were that the $40 charge was identical to the external Hard Drive (archive) charge. If customer already paid the 1 time charge it would not be charged again...as is the case for me.

Does anyone know if that is still the case?

Also, if a person is a DVR Advantage customer who does not pay extra for additional DVRs (4 currently)...would it be better to just upgrade to regular HD DVR (722 or something)? Not sure of the current fees

#10 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:30 AM

It will act like a fully functioning single tuner dvr (pause, rewind, record, etc.). Its not really like a pocket dish because that is copying from a dvr that is already there to the pocket dish. This turns the 211 into a DVR.

It will be available on the 19th, and will be available on the VIP 211, VIP 211k, and the 411

How about pause, skip, etc., for live TV?

Scott

#11 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:21 PM

How about pause, skip, etc., for live TV?

Scott

Yes. I believe it will have a 1 hour buffer if I recall correctly
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#12 OFFLINE   DustoMan

DustoMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:18 PM

Software update is rolling out today.
Dusto
dustoman at gmail dot com

Echostar customer since longer then I can remember.
SlingLOADED VIP922 on 1080p Panasonic HDTV
VIP222 on Windows 7 Pro PC

#13 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:20 PM

When this was promised last year...the expectations were that the $40 charge was identical to the external Hard Drive (archive) charge. If customer already paid the 1 time charge it would not be charged again...as is the case for me.

Does anyone know if that is still the case?

It's not. They're calling it a different feature - DVR Conversion vs DVR Archiving - with its own once-per-account upgrade fee for all 211/k receivers.

Also, if a person is a DVR Advantage customer who does not pay extra for additional DVRs (4 currently)...

DVR Advantage only covers the first DVR and has a full DVR fee for every DVR beyond the first. The only way to get the fee waived on all DVRs is to subscribe to America's Everything Pak.

would it be better to just upgrade to regular HD DVR (722 or something)? Not sure of the current fees

Probably, as long as you stay on AEP. A 722 would give you 3 tuners of recording vs 1, and can be used with EHDs from your other DVRs. Log in to your account on dishnetwork.com to see your 722 upgrade offer (often $125 but varies) and subtract the $40 211 DVR upgrade you're considering to determine how much extra it would be.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,969 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:43 PM

Software update is rolling out today.

Oh, are you sure ? Source ? Perhaps you did read about it here ?

Actually it started yesterday for 70565979-74923337, and expanded for 70565979-76400325 today.

#15 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:46 PM

Probably, as long as you stay on AEP. A 722 would give you 3 tuners of recording vs 1

Actually it would be 3 vs. 2. The 211/211k/411 each have an OTA tuner that can be recorded off of as well.

-Puck

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:21 AM

Actually it would be 3 vs. 2. The 211/211k/411 each have an OTA tuner that can be recorded off of as well.

I would add, it is 8VSB tuner ie ATSC/digital tuner.

#17 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:47 AM

Seems more like 2 vs. 1. Can the 722 make 2 recordings while playing the 3rd tuner or can the 211 make a recording while watching the 2nd tuner?

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:01 AM

Will see after Nov 19.

#19 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:56 PM

Yes, but simultaneously? Would be very nice. The description on the Tech Forum was a bit ambiguous in this area so I'll take a seat next to P and wait for user reports on the 19th.

JohnH, the 722 can record from all 3 tuners at once while playing back 1 or 2 recordings in Single or Dual mode. With 2 recordings in progress, the 3rd tuner is availble for live viewing in Single mode but may not be in Dual mode (no OTA to TV2, tuner 2 free but you're at TV1).
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#20 OFFLINE   newsman

newsman

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:46 AM

This would be great for me! I have a Tivo Series 2 connected to the 222 in the living room, and a 211 in the bedroom. I would be happy to turn the 211 into a DVR! Sweet!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...