Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Local channels

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   erjs05

erjs05

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:56 PM

Although we live in Ma. our viewing market for local channels is Providence RI. Several of the surrounding comunities are getting together to try and get this changed to the Boston viewing area so we can receive Ma. local channels and Ma news as opposed to RI. Not only DTV but also comcast HD are only offering the Providence local stations. My question is, if the towns in our county are successful in changing our viewing area would DTV also change our local channels? Also has anyone heard of any town or city that has been able to change their viewing area?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:24 PM

Although we live in Ma. our viewing market for local channels is Providence RI. Several of the surrounding comunities are getting together to try and get this changed to the Boston viewing area so we can receive Ma. local channels and Ma news as opposed to RI. Not only DTV but also comcast HD are only offering the Providence local stations. My question is, if the towns in our county are successful in changing our viewing area would DTV also change our local channels? Also has anyone heard of any town or city that has been able to change their viewing area?

Legally, Directv can offer significant viewed channels from a neighboring market. They very rarely do. You would probably need to get your DMA changed to the Boston market (again, very hard to do). Directv will legally be obligated to provide you with locals from your DMA (or none at all).

I believe there are several towns in North western Arkansas, who fall under the Springfield, MO DMA, who are currently lobbying to get their DMA switched to the Fort Smith/Fayetteville Arkansas DMA, so they can get in state news.

Im not sure who determines the DMA, be it the FCC or the NAB or a combination of the two. If you are close enough to Boston to pick up their signals OTA, then that would be the instant answer...just put up an antenna.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:06 PM

Can you get the Boston stations with an antenna? That might be the solution for the time being.

#4 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:46 PM

The only way you can get your county moved from one market to another is to convince enough of your neighbors to change their viewing habits. Neilsen Media determines which market each county is assigned to based on which market's stations people watch the most. The viewing habits developed when people used antennas and could choose from multiple markets have become more solidified by cable and satellite coverage of a single market. Satellite providers had no choice until a few years ago, but many cable companies voluntarily dropped out-of-market significantly viewed channels so they could add new cable channels in the `90s before digital cable came out.

The Boston ABC, CBS, NBC, and CW affiliates, plus WSBK, are all listed as significantly viewed in Bristol County (where Norton is located) so DirecTV is legally allowed to carry them if they choose. The cable company can also carry them with no blackouts. The FOX affiliate's newscasts could also be carried on cable, but FOX network programming would have to be blacked out.

#5 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:51 PM

IF AND when the Nielsen data changes then the markets that Directv shows will change as well.
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#6 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 12 November 2008 - 01:32 PM

to the OP,
you are asking the impossible you will need a good antenna with a rotor
heres a site that does installs they did mine i can pick up Boston/NH/providence and Portland ME:D
http://newenglandantenna.com/
Jimmy

#7 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 01:36 PM

to the OP,
you are asking the impossible you will need a good antenna with a rotor
heres a site that does installs they did mine i can pick up Boston/NH/providence and Portland ME:D
http://newenglandantenna.com/

+1 but add a preamplifier as well
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

spam firewall