Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Content protection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FlBillsfan

FlBillsfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:43 PM

My wife wanted a HDTV for the kitchen, so I bought one & hooked it up to the HDDVR in the bedroom using a HDMI cable. Everything was working great until I went to watch Friday Night Lights which I had previously recorded, in the bedroom. I got a blank screen with the message "this TV does not support the content protection of this show" I had to remove the HDMI cable from the TV in the kitchen temporarily to watch the show.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:01 PM

"Big Hollywood" strikes again . . . :rolleyes:

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#3 OFFLINE   Drewg5

Drewg5

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:14 PM

This is just another case of over protective DRM. The only people that get harmed by actions like this are the honest customers. The group of people that circumvent DRM will not be stopped by 'content protection' only slowed down for a short period of time and than be back at it again.

My Junk

ATT Uverse

45" Sony

30" Visio web connected

#4 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:07 AM

My wife wanted a HDTV for the kitchen, so I bought one & hooked it up to the HDDVR in the bedroom using a HDMI cable. Everything was working great until I went to watch Friday Night Lights which I had previously recorded, in the bedroom. I got a blank screen with the message "this TV does not support the content protection of this show" I had to remove the HDMI cable from the TV in the kitchen temporarily to watch the show.

Was that on 101? They are testing it on that channel.

#5 OFFLINE   RehabMan

RehabMan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:00 AM

Was that on 101? They are testing it on that channel.

Yes. FNL is on 101.

I watched it last night and I did bother to check if my HR20 was down-rezzing to 480i, as I have my HR20 connected to my system via component... it wasn't... TV was reporting 720p. So... at least part two of content protection (limiting resolution of analog outs) is not being done... yet...
AU-9 to Zinwell 6x8, HR20-700 and H20-100 (component) to whole house Elan S12 system,
2x Sharp LC-32D62U (workout room, outdoor room), Sharp LC-42D62U (master bedroom), Gefen HD Mate Scaler to Gateway 17" 720p monitor (kitchen), Home Theatre still under construction
H20-600 to Sharp LC-37G4U in guest house

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:18 AM

Right now, 101 (and a couple of other channels, like 500) have an HDCP test enabled, just to help you determine if your TV connection will pass. They are not setting the Image Constraint Token (ICT) which is what would down-rez your content, but in the future, the content providers, at least for PPV and premium movie channels, are almost certain to do so.

spam firewall