Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

An assortment of recent (Q4 2008) Blu-ray, HD DVD and other movie reviews

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:59 PM

Dude, you really think some of these are reviews?

Read on...

The "reviews" you're posting here are one sentence comments. I know that your "reviews" on Amazon are longer, but it just seems like you post them here so that people will go to Amazon and vote for your or something. This is like an advertising thread.

If you feel that way, then I'm sorry but would have to say then please just ignore my posts and move on.

Amazon (and other sites also do it) typically claims copyright for the materials that are submitted to them. That being the case I can either plagurize from myself (or others, though I do not do that) or just post short comments/clips and suggest that if readers want more details they go read at Amazon. I have opted for suggesting people go check at Amazon because there are normally plenty of reviewers at Amazon and plenty of voices to hear from. Yes, most are not all that technical about audio quality and picture quality, and yes, some seem to go out of their way to spoil the films that they are reviewing, but there are a lot of choices there.

I appreciate the feedback from people here, and appreciate the readers too, but honestly the number of people that see the information at this forum are minimal relatively speaking. The same holds for some of those forums and sites you and others favor. I'm glad you all like 'em, and wish you all the best.

Meanwhile, if these contributions here aren't that useful, then so be it. I don't need to waste my time, but then again the comments of a few thread crappers shouldn't ruin what others might find useful.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:01 PM

I'd like to see this thread turn a bit more productive, or else I'm not sure what its purpose here is.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:02 PM

Two different Blu Ray UPC's???

I guess you missed that information at the sites you frequent.

Yes there have been two different UPCs for the releases of The Fifth Element, and yes there are still 'bad' copies floating around in the marketplace at Amazon (or eBay, along with other retailers).

#24 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:04 PM

I'd like to see this thread turn a bit more productive, or else I'm not sure what its purpose here is.

Thanks for your guidance Stuart. I guess I don't know what to say given the idea that I posted this in the forum entitled The Movies in the Non-DBS Topics area, and well, have been talking about movies all along. It seems that a few folks don't appreciate the effort and/or would rather get their reviews and thoughts on movies elsewhere, so I consider my work here done.

#25 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:24 PM

The problem bdowell, is this is a forum about The Movies and you'd think that a thread here about movie reviews would warrant discussion about movie reviews in general: where to go, which site has good ones, etc.

Instead, when someone suggested a good place for further movie reviews (over and above the 12 or so you've posted), you replied with this:

That's nice. Perhaps you'd like to go tell the folks there that rather than, well, continuing to be cheerleading that site in a thread that I started to offer up my *own* reviews.

You seem to be of the opinion that this is your thread and your thread only, to discuss your reviews and your reviews only.

If that's the case, fine, you should have mentioned that in your first post. Now, I'll leave you to your own personal thread for your self enjoyment. You won't see any more posts from me here and I doubt from anyone else either.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#26 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

The problem bdowell, is this is a forum about The Movies and you'd think that a thread here about movie reviews would warrant discussion about movie reviews in general: where to go, which site has good ones, etc.

Instead, when someone suggested a good place for further movie reviews (over and above the 12 or so you've posted), you replied with this:

You seem to be of the opinion that this is your thread and your thread only, to discuss your reviews and your reviews only.

If that's the case, fine, you should have mentioned that in your first post. Now, I'll leave you to your own personal thread for your self enjoyment. You won't see any more posts from me here and I doubt from anyone else either.

There seems little point in continued discussion, but your impressions are not accurate.

If HDTVFan had offered up a review of his own, or asked about a movie and sought opinions on same it would have fit with this thread rather nicely and I wouldn't have reacted in the way I did. Instead it seemed as if he was going out of his way to push people towards another site where he prefers to read reviews from, much as you have done. Like I said above, I appreciate those sites too and have taken time to thank the reviewers at those sites for the job they do.

#27 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:49 AM

I guess you missed that information at the sites you frequent.

Yes there have been two different UPCs for the releases of The Fifth Element...

I'll just choose to look past your rants. By the way...I would suspect that most people never track UPCs. :rolleyes:

There have been countless articles published on the Fifth Element recall, and the order to recall the defective copies from the marketplace. Amazon actually had a page and announcement on their site for over a month pointing out the defective version, and how people coud return them for the newer "fixed" version. That, of course, doesn't guarantee it to happen.

As for your reviews....I simply pointed out there are a variety of others out there in addition to yours, and everyone has their own taste. Apparently you have chosen to attack anyone who does not adore yours.

I agree with Stuart that this thread should turn into something productive, which I attempted to do a bit ago, by providing another source of good Blu Ray reviews, before it got derailed.

Here is the first one I shared (way back when):

http://bluray.highde...om/reviews.html

Here is another one:

http://www.dvdreview...rayreviews.html

An finally a third source:

http://www.dvdtalk.c...iewType=Blu-ray

All three provide good solid reviews of the contents, as well as disc specs, which is what several posters pointed out were priorities to them. In a number of cases...they don't even agree. That should help provide folks a variety of information, as was originally requested.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#28 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:14 AM

All three provide good solid reviews of the contents, as well as disc specs, which is what several posters pointed out were priorities to them. In a number of cases...they don't even agree. That should help provide folks a variety of information, as was originally requested.

Originally requested by who?

#29 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:56 AM

Folks, it seems we have nothing more than an argument here. While I appreciate a good one, this one has little to do with the topic of the thread and as such I must reluctantly close this thread.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall