Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv Charging me ETF, They can't provide service

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
113 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   edpowers

edpowers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:53 AM

I think he'll prevail, too. I hope he does.

But, still you sign a contract...you should take the time to check if your prospective new domicile has LOS.

If not, either try a different location, or be prepared to be a big-boy and pay the ETF, that you willingly agreed to as part of your D* service.

You can move anywhere, whenever you want. Just be ready to actually live up to the obligations you voluntarily sign-up for, too. With freedom of choice, comes personal responsibility.

I don't know about the OP, but I have never SIGNED a contract when they extend my service agreements. I have verbally agreed, but never signed anything.

You are making it sound like this guy abandoned a mortgage or something. With freedom of choice comes personal responsibility? Are you joking? This is TV we are talking about.

Bottomline: He moved WITHIN their listed service area. He told them he was moving, DirecTV sends installers, and they cannot provide a signal. They can no longer provide service to him. He didn't end the service contract, DirecTV did.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   MIKE0616

MIKE0616

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:00 AM

If you buy or not buy a house based on LOS then you should become the mayor of crazy town. People have to move or want to move for many different reasons. A TV service should not be able to penalize you for moving! Come on people. This is America! Do you actually think people would move to get out of their $400 contract? Does D* pay some of you guys to say such things?:eek2:

The word "shill" comes to mind in lots of these "discussions." :)

#103 OFFLINE   tim99

tim99

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:10 AM

That's exactly the point you seem to be missing. He IS willing to live up to the terms of his agreement and pay for his service. They just cannot provide it, which is clearly not his fault. He more than did his part by telling them exactly where he lived and requested them to provide what he expected to pay for.

You can move anywhere, whenever you want. Just be ready to actually live up to the obligations you voluntarily sign-up for, too. With freedom of choice, comes personal responsibility.

PVR user since the late 1900's . . .

#104 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:09 AM

I don't know about the OP, but I have never SIGNED a contract when they extend my service agreements. I have verbally agreed, but never signed anything.

Same here, but just remember that a verbal agreement is just as enforceable as a signed one, assuming it can be proven that there was verbal agreement. Of course the fact that the OP was told by two different CSR's that it is customary to waive ETF's when LOS is not available after a move is also a type of "verbal contract" that D* should uphold.

#105 OFFLINE   mastrauckas

mastrauckas

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:32 AM

I thought when you moved you didn't have to pay for installation and if you move and you can't get service at the new place they cancel your commitment? At least that is what they told me when I signed up.

#106 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:42 AM

I have signed a new agreement for every receiver I've gotten except one.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#107 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:01 PM

You are making it sound like this guy abandoned a mortgage or something. With freedom of choice comes personal responsibility? Are you joking? This is TV we are talking about.

Bottomline: He moved WITHIN their listed service area. He told them he was moving, DirecTV sends installers, and they cannot provide a signal. They can no longer provide service to him. He didn't end the service contract, DirecTV did.

Bottom line: You get a discounted cell phone and agree to a 2 year service contract.

You move, within the service area, a year later.

You discover that your new digs are in a dead spot. If you go outside to the street your cell phone works fine, just not in your home any more.

You can just cancel your cell phone contract without an ETF? I don't think so.

No, I'm not joking about personal responsibility. It doesn't matter what it is, TV or not...it is a binding agreement that was freely entered into.

Eating the ETF is simply part of the total cost of the move, if you do so before your commitment is up, and you didn't verify that LOS was available at the new location.

I still think that D* will waive it, in this case, however.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#108 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:05 PM

The word "shill" comes to mind in lots of these "discussions." :)

If you browse this board enough, and read my posts, you'll quickly realize that label doesn't apply to me. :D
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1

#109 OFFLINE   dewrock

dewrock

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:13 PM

Well it looks like thanks to a poster on here (I don't know if he/she would want me to reveal their name) that the ETF has been reversed after he/she escalated the issue. The tech who came to install closed the work order out with "no landlord permission" even though it was a LOS issue and I had even called him right after he left to make sure that he closed it out that way and he assured me he had. The CSR that I talked to that day told me that he had. So anyways, the fact that he hadn't was news to me last night as none of the other people I talked to at Directv had told me this.

Well the nice lady that called me today, in regards to the email I sent to Ellen Filipiak, told me the same thing but said she believed me that it was because of a LOS issue and that she would reverse the charge and contact Allied Interstate, send me a new statement with a $0.00 balance and a letter in regards to what we discussed. She said it would be turned over as Directv Error and not do anything to my credit history. She apologized for the trouble that I went through and was overall very nice. I have to say that her and the first two ladies I talked to were very nice and helpful, the last however many were sorely lacking in customer service skills (and not just because they didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, just simply because they didn't care to help me).

I just looked now at my account online and it does in fact show a $0.00 balance and shows that the fee was reversed.

So again, thanks to the poster that helped me out and the Sausha that I talked to today. And thanks to all of the other posters that offered advice to me.

#110 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,637 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:17 PM

Well it looks like thanks to a poster on here (I don't know if he/she would want me to reveal their name) that the ETF has been reversed after he/she escalated the issue. The tech who came to install closed the work order out with "no landlord permission" even though it was a LOS issue and I had even called him right after he left to make sure that he closed it out that way and he assured me he had. The CSR that I talked to that day told me that he had. So anyways, the fact that he hadn't was news to me last night as none of the other people I talked to at Directv had told me this.

Well the nice lady that called me today, in regards to the email I sent to Ellen Filipiak, told me the same thing but said she believed me that it was because of a LOS issue and that she would reverse the charge and contact Allied Interstate, send me a new statement with a $0.00 balance and a letter in regards to what we discussed. She said it would be turned over as Directv Error and not do anything to my credit history. She apologized for the trouble that I went through and was overall very nice. I have to say that her and the first two ladies I talked to were very nice and helpful, the last however many were sorely lacking in customer service skills (and not just because they didn't tell me what I wanted to hear, just simply because they didn't care to help me).

I just looked now at my account online and it does in fact show a $0.00 balance and shows that the fee was reversed.

So again, thanks to the poster that helped me out and the Sausha that I talked to today. And thanks to all of the other posters that offered advice to me.

Now all you need to do is move again so you can come back to DirecTV. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#111 OFFLINE   jep8821

jep8821

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:19 PM

Kansas Zephyr,

I never signed a contract with Directv. When I tool Business Law in 1998 in college We were told no verbal contract is enforcable if the length of the contract goes past 1 yr. Anything over 1yr needed to be in writng. This might vary from State to State but that was the case in Missouri. Also it is common for Cell phone providers to wave there ETF if the user moves into a location where they can't get signal. I dealt with Cingular a couple of years ago and the reduced my commitment down from 2 yrs to 1 because they couldn't find my signed contract.

Thanks.

#112 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:21 PM

Well it looks like thanks to a poster on here (I don't know if he/she would want me to reveal their name) that the ETF has been reversed after he/she escalated the issue.

I think a few of us have a good idea who that person might be...:)

And I'm happy you got this all worked out!

#113 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:30 PM

Well it looks like thanks to a poster on here (I don't know if he/she would want me to reveal their name) that the ETF has been reversed after he/she escalated the issue.

Congrats :)
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
HR21-100/AM21
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1

#114 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:08 PM

Now that the OP has had the problem resolved .. I'd say it's time for this thread to be done ..
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall