Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Like Dish network?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:51 PM

I've been happy with my Dish Network service for over 7 years. I've upgraded receivers and services through that time and can't remember any bad CSR moments--yeah, lucky, I know from reading others' posts. :)

I'm not interested in more sports, and I can't make time to watch all the movies that I can DVR now, so no problems here (well, except getting my receiver hooked up to my broadband connection, but that's my fault).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:50 PM

I actually am "happy" with dish. I am not interested in sports as mentioned earlier. I would enjoy some more channels but seriously have a hard time watching what is already available. Yes there is a problem with the 722 audio but I have not been impacted to the point that i cannot watch programs that I want. I have never had a bad installation or customer service experience in all of the 6 years I have been with them, so I would consider myself more than "content".

#23 OFFLINE   HDRoberts

HDRoberts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:55 PM

What's not to like:

1) DVR's that don't always record what they are supposed to and do record what they are not.
2) DVR's that crash for no apparent reason.
3) Boring Charlie Chats.
4) No MLB EI (unless you count the blackout overruns in the Multi-sport package).
5) No distant "locals" unless you are lucky enough to live in an area where NPS can help.
6) Lousy customer service (J. D. Power award for "Better than Most").
7) Loads of shopping channels!
8) The HD Leader/No VOOM.
9) Pay for recording on each DVR in the house (unless it is 501/508 or older).
10)Must be connected to a phone line, even if you don't own a (traditional) phone.

1) and 2) Try DirecTV's DVRs
3) No one makes you watch. At least our CEO talks to us; nothing like it on Direct, Comcast, or TWC
4) Many of us don't care
5) Government regulations. Direct has been cracking down as well
6) It sucks, but still better than cable
7) Block them. They pay Dish for carriage, so they're welcome to be there so long as I don't have to watch
8) Many of us though Voom was repetitive crap
9) Most of us don't care, as we have on DVR powering 2 TVs. Need 3+ DVRs you should be able to afford it.
10. VIP receivers can be connected to the internet.

One man's gripe is just one man's. Plenty of others don't care.

#24 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:27 PM

I am coming up on 5 years as a customer and I love my Dish Network service. I purchased my first receiver and later upgraded to a DVR, then later an HDDVR. Where I live sat. service is the only option. I can't afford the equipment it takes for a BUD, D* is more expensive per month and, does not offer locals in my DMA. I have always felt that I gotten great value for my money with Dish Network. As far as the Echostar/Dish Network split, when I turn off the computer, and turn on the TV, I have seen no change in my service since the split.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#25 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:02 PM

Happy customer since Feb 1997 here! I even put up with 10 diffeent buggy 921's. I now have a 622 and am happy as can be!
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#26 OFFLINE   satexplorer

satexplorer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 513 posts
  • LocationDock X

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:04 PM

Television Service:
DirecTV :sure: DISH Network :hurah: Globecast :lol: Cable :eek2:

Customer Service:
DirecTV :hurah: DISH Network :eek2: Globecast :P Cable :mad:

#27 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,406 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:48 AM

Happy customer since Feb 1997 here! I even put up with 10 diffeent buggy 921's. I now have a 622 and am happy as can be!

Hmmm. Guess I have to think about that.

From Dictionary.com: happy: delighted, pleased, or glad, as over a particular thing.

Yeah, I am pleased that I can record four HD programs while watching one. Sometimes the experience delights me.

And I'm glad I have a 722 and a 612 and AT200 with locals and SilverHD and PlatinumHD and all four premiums. So I guess I'm a Dish customer who is "happy.":D

#28 OFFLINE   Dawgfan

Dawgfan

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:56 AM

I like it. I've been a customer since big dish dropped Sports South.

#29 OFFLINE   Bobham

Bobham

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:21 AM

I have been a happy Dish Network subscriber for about 6 years now. I have received excellent service, programming I can afford, and there is no way I would ever go back to those low-life maggots at DirecTV (Whoops! it just slipped out)

#30 OFFLINE   Radner

Radner

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:50 PM

I bought and I installed my first unit on July 4, 1996. That was about 4 months after they launched and have had continuous service ever since.

So, I guess I like Dish Network.

#31 OFFLINE   ericsdad

ericsdad

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:04 PM

I like Dish well enough. I've been a customer since early 2001. I really like our 622 and our 612s are ok.

#32 OFFLINE   Smegal

Smegal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:03 PM

I have been with dish for over 8 years and enjoy my DVR's. I would really have to be pushed hard to leave their service.

Prior to dish I had DTV and was not impressed, so would not go out of my way to return. I would not want to give up dish DVRs for anything DTV could offer.

Cable.....talk about maggots......I will say no more about cable.

#33 OFFLINE   HDftw

HDftw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:27 AM

Happy customer for 5+ years :)

#34 OFFLINE   GioGambino

GioGambino

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:47 AM

Place me in the bucket, but then again I would think it would be obvious given I spend the Lion share of my time in the Dish Forums. Dish definitely has challanges ahead as all companies in this space do and their definitely is a lot of competition. For me, Dish provides an excellent DVR and the content that meets my family needs.

Like people have said before... This is a forum and therefore by its nature there will be a negative slant. Bottom line.. If you are happy with what a company delivers you should stay with them. If you are not and they don't show any signs of working towards fixing the issues you should look for alternatives to meet your needs. Bottom line... You are spending money and the money spent on entertainment should make you happy.

Reason I became a Moderator here was I liked Dish but I felt some pain through the 921 receiver and I wanted to help improve the product line and moderating and providing feedback was one way I saw where I could make the most difference. I am happy I did and Kudos goes to everyone here that sees this site as a means to help improve the products they use on a daily bases. At times I am sure some feel that the reports go unnoticed, but I personally feel that they do definitely go noticed and do help the people that read these threads understand more what issues are occurring in the field. The most recent example of this is the Audio thread that has been very active. Keep up the good work to all that supports the site... It is you guys that make the difference.

And no I am not going to ask everyone for a group hug. ;) Given the topic of the thread I just felt that there are a lot of people here that take the time to post their experiences and wanted to thank everyone for taking time out of your busy day to try to make a difference.

Yes I like Dish...
But I think DBSTalk rocks!!
Thanks everyone!.

I do apologize for going a little off topic...

Which part of SoCal are you from? I live in San Diego. :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...