Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Receiver upgrade question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rhipps

rhipps

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:23 PM

I have a motorhome with a large Sony SD tv and have been using my SD batwing antenna for local broadcasts and satellite dish/ancient RCA receiver to get my DTV. Come February next year, we all know that SD broadcasts will go away and our world will go digital. So, I would like to get a DTV receiver with an OTA ATSC tuner to use with my batwing. What should I buy and where can I get the best deal on it?

Thanks in advance,

Bob in Toano, VA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:25 PM

I have a motorhome with a large Sony SD tv and have been using my SD batwing antenna for local broadcasts and satellite dish/ancient RCA receiver to get my DTV. Come February next year, we all know that SD broadcasts will go away and our world will go digital. So, I would like to get a DTV receiver with an OTA ATSC tuner to use with my batwing. What should I buy and where can I get the best deal on it?

Thanks in advance,

Bob in Toano, VA

the only directv rcvrs with OTA tuners are the HR2x units with an AM21 They are High Def, It might be better to get a digital tuner and then feed the output into your directv init. Directv rcvrs do have a passthrough

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:46 PM

the only directv rcvrs with OTA tuners are the HR2x units with an AM21 They are High Def, It might be better to get a digital tuner and then feed the output into your directv init. Directv rcvrs do have a passthrough

A stand alone ATSC tuner is the cheapest way to go.
There are several "older" receivers.
Sony SAT HD 200/300 would work.
Hughes had some too.
The H20 receivers have OTA. [some were owned]
For DVRs:
HR10-250
HR20 [but most of these were leased and not owned]
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:58 PM

As Curt correctly stated, the only DirecTV receivers currently available with OTA ATSC tuners are the HD-DVRs, mostly the HR22 right now, using a separate add-on OTA module called the AM21. If that's what you want, they are nice; the OTA is integrated into the DVR's guide and can be recorded just like sat content.

Otherwise, buying a standalone ATSC tuner box and using that along with your existing DirecTV box is the way to go. If you're using coax to connect your DirecTV box to your TV, you can use coax to connect the ATSC tuner to the antenna passthrough port on the DirecTV receiver. When you turn the DirecTV receiver off, the signal from the ATSC tuner is sent to the TV. When you want DirecTV, just turn the receiver back on and it will cut off the ATSC tuner's signal and show you DirecTV.

#5 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,387 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:04 PM

A separate ATCS adapter might be the easiest way to go since you travel as the AM21 D* receivers guide is regulated by DMA's. You would need to reset it to where ever you may stop during your trips. It will only find stations that are in the DirecTV database where the separate tuner will scan the complete channel array where ever you might be stopping. Also to use the AM21 you would need an H or HR series HD tuner which would require a $10.00 monthly HD access fee on top of your regular programming fees.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,897 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:11 PM

I would agree, go with one of the inexpensive (approx $60) ATSC converter boxes that are out there. They scan ota, work very well (I've got one and it works better than the HR20 or AM21) and will feed your existing TV set with no problem. Then you don't have to make any changes in your DirecTV setup either.

Only downside - you can't record. But you weren't doing that anyway.

#7 OFFLINE   rhipps

rhipps

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:57 PM

Thanks to all for your inputs. Looks like a standalone ATSC tuner is the way to go.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...