Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AVPhan

AVPhan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:46 PM

I am still somewhat happy with D* but now with rumor of AT&T taking over.
I absolutely will not do business with them, would I be able to cancel my service without paying ETF ?
Just curious. if it comes down to that.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,828 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:49 PM

I would not be concerned about AT&T buying DIRECTV at this point, even if it happens it would take years. However, as it would likely be a stock purchase you would have an early termination fee.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:18 PM

IMO, it is very, very unlikely that AT&T would buy DirecTV. Their use for DirecTV is limited to areas that Uverse isn't available, and they are working hard to reduce those areas. In 2-3 years, Uverse availability will be much larger, further reducing the need for DirecTV. It just doesn't make sense long-term.

#4 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:18 PM

I keep seeing that rumor repeated here, but otherwise it isn't being chatted up much. I suppose it could happen but it would seem to make sense for AT&T to partner with DirecTV to enable them to have a national offering while they continue to deploy U-verse. In the meantime I would think they would be more intersted in fiber or copper....
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:27 PM

If AT*T does their HD like they do their DSL service...then it will not be anything much more than average at best. It's all OK...but nothing spectacular.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#6 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:45 PM

I keep seeing that rumor repeated here, but otherwise it isn't being chatted up much. I suppose it could happen but it would seem to make sense for AT&T to partner with DirecTV to enable them to have a national offering while they continue to deploy U-verse. In the meantime I would think they would be more intersted in fiber or copper....

AT&T made the decision three years ago to go with an IP solution to provide television services. There are no plans to use Fiber such as Verizon's FIOS.

#7 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:47 PM

If AT*T does their HD like they do their DSL service...then it will not be anything much more than average at best. It's all OK...but nothing spectacular.

What's wrong with their DSL service? Mine has been rock solid without a single outage in over three years. What else is it supposed to do?

#8 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:49 PM

I am still somewhat happy with D* but now with rumor of AT&T taking over.
I absolutely will not do business with them, would I be able to cancel my service without paying ETF ?
Just curious. if it comes down to that.

Yes, your contract will still be in effect. I wouldn't worry about it. AT&T is on the brink of announcing a major downsizing of employees. I doubt there are any asset acquisitions on the near horizon. Even if it were to happen you can expect at least a year for it to be approved and actually happen.

#9 OFFLINE   slimoli

slimoli

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:02 PM

What's wrong with their DSL service? Mine has been rock solid without a single outage in over three years. What else is it supposed to do?

Speed is limited to 6 MBps and major cable companies are offering much higher speed. 6 MBps is OK for internet browsing but not enough for HD streaming, for example.

#10 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:19 PM

Speed is limited to 6 MBps and major cable companies are offering much higher speed. 6 MBps is OK for internet browsing but not enough for HD streaming, for example.

They recently went in to my sisters neighborhood with a small fleet of trucks, worked for a week... when they left, they were delivering 12MBps throughout the subdivision... over copper.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#11 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:30 PM

That's the specs of the product. Just because a duck is a poor bicycle that doesn't mean it is not a good duck. You can order DS-3. It's not cheap but it is screaming fast. :)

#12 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:44 AM

Solid yes, special no.

If you want their "special" service, you pay through the nose for it.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#13 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:22 AM

They recently went in to my sisters neighborhood with a small fleet of trucks, worked for a week... when they left, they were delivering 12MBps throughout the subdivision... over copper.

have had 16 from the cable provider for about the last 6 months. It also depends on how many bridgetaps, distance from CO and quality of the copper. In my neighborhood the best they can give is 768.

#14 OFFLINE   aa9vi

aa9vi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:29 AM

AT&T made the decision three years ago to go with an IP solution to provide television services. There are no plans to use Fiber such as Verizon's FIOS.

idiotic move. FIOS is excellent. I had a chance to see it when I was in the Northeast. I want that in the Midwest. Twisted pair really limits your bandwidth.

#15 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:45 AM

If you get the actual rated speeds, I agree that cable could be better. I had Time Warner cable ISP and it was rated as 7000/768, but at a peak time I only was getting 3052/476 and at an off peak time 4546/480. With AT&T DSL, my rated speed is 6000/768 and it tests around 4840/640 at all times. For a few days I had both DSL and TWC ISP and tested them with the same speed test at the same time. DSL was consistently faster and is not affected by the numbers of users, like cable is. In addition, my brother has TWC ISP in another state and his quoted speed is 10000/1000, but at peak times he was only getting 3500/320. So what your service is rated isn't as important as the actually speed you are getting.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#16 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:08 PM

U-verse offers 10MBps thats as fast as cable around here. Internet is the best service u-verse has. There TV HD is not so hot and I have had problems with there VOIP.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#17 OFFLINE   rey_1178

rey_1178

Icon

• Registered
  • 679 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:23 PM

there is a bigger chance of directv and dish merging than a att take over of diretv.
Directv member since 2008 HR34-700,HR24-500 & HR20-700-swm lnb
Sirius member since 2003

Dish member from 1999-2008 vip 622 & vip 211

RIP john h..........

#18 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:40 PM

idiotic move. FIOS is excellent. I had a chance to see it when I was in the Northeast. I want that in the Midwest. Twisted pair really limits your bandwidth.

I agree but they didn't want to commit the capital for a fiber video backbone. Uverse has alot of growing to do before it is ready for primetime. I live in AT&T territory so I plan on sticking with satellite until the offering is fully cooked. To be fair I know FIOS users who are not happy either. Verizon also has more work to do.

#19 OFFLINE   paja

paja

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:46 PM

You should check out the facts first:

https://uversecentra...RAME&APPID=AMSS

#20 OFFLINE   slimoli

slimoli

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:11 PM

You should check out the facts first:

https://uversecentra...RAME&APPID=AMSS

No, you should. U-Verse DSL can only be installed if you also subscribe to their not so good video service. Obviously we were talking about ATT DSL service and the limit is 6 Mbps. If I could get more than 6Mbps I would already be subscribing to the faster service. U-Verse is bad technology, many restrictions like maximum of 2 HD programs streaming at the same time, 1 DVR per household, 4 programs can be recorded at the same time but they don't advertise that only one can be HD. If you are happy with SD programming and still watch TV the old fashion way, maybe ATT is for you. I watch 90% of my programs in HD.

ATT DSL service is called Fastaccess and as you can see is still limited to 6Mbps:

http://bellsouth.com...rvcs/index.html

spam firewall