Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Xalky

Xalky

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:35 PM

Well, Here's what I did. I ordered At&t u-verse tv, internet and phone to save money.:nono2:
In the end I really wasn't saving much at all, but I was probably saving $20 a month. There are a lot of limitations to IP TV and they're all bandwidth problems. The world is going HD and HD requires bandwidth. At&ts solution is to compress the crap out of it which degrades the picture significantly.

So against my better judgement I call directv to cancel .....but they gave me a great deal to stay. So I decide to stay with Dtv. But I really liked the u-verse internet and voip. So I call At&T to cancel the TV, there's a 30 day money back guarantee, but I wanted to keep the internet and Voip. They said no problem.

So now I have 10mbps internet, VOIP and Directv on 5 TVs with 2-HDdvrs, 1- sd-dvr, 1-hd STB and 1-sd STB, all for around $150/mnth. that's about $30 less than I was paying last month with much better services.

Oh yeah...Dtvs HD is far cleaner than AT&ts u-verse. I know because I had them both on side by side.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jeffreydj

jeffreydj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:43 AM

Well, first I don't think AT&T will be purchasing D*. But, even if they did -- I wouldn't be upset. Maybe I'm the odd one, but I've never had a problem with SBC, Bellsouth or Cingular (all of which now make up AT&T). Customer Service has always been good. Their websites work well, and any accidental billing problems have been corrected quickly and without hassle.

A secondary comment, DSL at 6MBP could be effectively quicker than a 10MBP cable connection for various reasons I will not get into here. But maximum bandwidth is only one portion of the equation. Others sharing the connection, latency etc. I'm not taking sides, just pointing out the "maximum download bandwidth" is only a tiny part of effective speeds browsing. We haven't touched server side limitations and tech that effect the speeds you could theoretically get :)

But, I'm happy with DTV. U-Verse is coming to our area soon and I will NOT be switching.
JJ
HR20-700 | HR21-100 | HR21-200

#23 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:55 AM

Well, first I don't think AT&T will be purchasing D*. But, even if they did -- I wouldn't be upset. Maybe I'm the odd one, but I've never had a problem with SBC, Bellsouth or Cingular (all of which now make up AT&T). Customer Service has always been good. Their websites work well, and any accidental billing problems have been corrected quickly and without hassle.

A secondary comment, DSL at 6MBP could be effectively quicker than a 10MBP cable connection for various reasons I will not get into here. But maximum bandwidth is only one portion of the equation. Others sharing the connection, latency etc. I'm not taking sides, just pointing out the "maximum download bandwidth" is only a tiny part of effective speeds browsing. We haven't touched server side limitations and tech that effect the speeds you could theoretically get :)

But, I'm happy with DTV. U-Verse is coming to our area soon and I will NOT be switching.

After 9 years using AT&T DSL, phone service, and cellular...I agree with your entire set of observations.

U-Verse adds nothing for me, but takes things away. No brainer to stay put.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#24 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:41 AM

ATT DSL service is called Fastaccess and as you can see is still limited to 6Mbps:

http://bellsouth.com...rvcs/index.html

Actullay, the name varies depending on what baby bell you were with. In Texas, which was formely SBC, the 6Mbps is called "Elite DSL".

http://www.att.com/g...eneral?pid=6431
HR34-700, HR22-100

#25 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:25 PM

No, you should. U-Verse DSL can only be installed if you also subscribe to their not so good video service. Obviously we were talking about ATT DSL service and the limit is 6 Mbps. If I could get more than 6Mbps I would already be subscribing to the faster service. U-Verse is bad technology, many restrictions like maximum of 2 HD programs streaming at the same time, 1 DVR per household, 4 programs can be recorded at the same time but they don't advertise that only one can be HD. If you are happy with SD programming and still watch TV the old fashion way, maybe ATT is for you. I watch 90% of my programs in HD.

ATT DSL service is called Fastaccess and as you can see is still limited to 6Mbps:

http://bellsouth.com...rvcs/index.html

Just drop the TV after the 30 day free trial and they let you keep the internet and VOIP. Here you can get 10 Mbps for 55 dollars a month.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#26 OFFLINE   Bronco70

Bronco70

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:30 PM

I have had AT&T DSL for years. Yes it is very stable. I can only think of one service outage since install.

On the other hand the best my street can get is the 3Mbps package. And actual down TX for me is 1.8Mbps. I downloaded Premonition in HD from D* VOD yesterday. The film is 1:36. The download took 9 Hours 8 Minutes. Not what I'd call "On Demand".

#27 OFFLINE   Xalky

Xalky

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 05:26 PM

Just drop the TV after the 30 day free trial and they let you keep the internet and VOIP. Here you can get 10 Mbps for 55 dollars a month.

That's what I did, albeit unintentionally. Now I have 10mbps/1.5mbps internet and unlimited long distance and all the u-verse phone bells and whistles for $75/month.

Switching to u-verse from DTV is a step backwards in picture quality and viewing options. Directv is the shiznit...hands down.:grin:

#28 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:44 AM

I have had AT&T DSL for years. Yes it is very stable. I can only think of one service outage since install.

On the other hand the best my street can get is the 3Mbps package. And actual down TX for me is 1.8Mbps. I downloaded Premonition in HD from D* VOD yesterday. The film is 1:36. The download took 9 Hours 8 Minutes. Not what I'd call "On Demand".

That's the same as my street got the 3Mbps package went round and round with AT&T about it.I had to reset my modem alot when I did I got 2.5 Mbps.But it would gradually go back down to 1.8Mbps I finally decided that after 3 months I was tired of that crap I felt I wasn't getting what I was paying for.So I went to the 1.5 Mbps package.Now running 1.3 Mbps and feel I'm getting my monies worth.;)

I also don't do VOD anymore I did try it with both speeds and both took forever.My solution is to subscribe to a more channels package.I also believe that even though AT&T let me subscribe to the 3 Mbps package my line can't handle it that's why the constant reduction in speed and modem resets.;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...