Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Information on ETF

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   djc45

djc45

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:55 AM

Hi,
With the economy the way it is, I really need to save money each month and so need to cancel my Direct TV.
I know that I`ll need to pay an ETF, I just wondered if someone could give me more information about the charge and how it is charged.
I am currently on the Premier package with DVR. I will have probably about 10 or 11 months to run on my 2 year contract. Just some questions:

1) Am I correct that the ETF is $20 per month for the remaining number of months, and is charged in full, to the card I have for auto pay, at the time I cancel.

2) Do I need to give a notice period to cancel?

3) If so, do I cancel by phone, or do I need to write a letter, or can I email?

4) When I signed up I chose not to give a SS number, and opted for a deposit instead. Does this change anything about the ETF?

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Duncan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:39 AM

Hi,
With the economy the way it is, I really need to save money each month and so need to cancel my Direct TV.
I know that I`ll need to pay an ETF, I just wondered if someone could give me more information about the charge and how it is charged.
I am currently on the Premier package with DVR. I will have probably about 10 or 11 months to run on my 2 year contract. Just some questions:

1) Am I correct that the ETF is $20 per month for the remaining number of months, and is charged in full, to the card I have for auto pay, at the time I cancel.

4) When I signed up I chose not to give a SS number, and opted for a deposit instead. Does this change anything about the ETF?

Thanks

Duncan

i would just downgrade to the 29.99 package for whats left of your contract. i have a friend that had the same package as you and did that.. her bill went from about $140 a month down to about $50 bucks a month..:rolleyes:

i have been hearing of some reporting that they have been getting an ETF of around $378.:new_Eyecr

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch
Living Room: R16-300
Master Bedroom: D12-500
Kids Bedroom: D12-500

Proudly Non Comcastic since 2007

#3 OFFLINE   DarinC

DarinC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:34 AM

You may also want to consider suspending your account.
Friends don't let friends buy PPV.

#4 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:37 AM

Indeed, why don't just suspend it for 6 months and see what time brings.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#5 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:42 AM

Hi,

Thanks

Duncan

Your best bet is to call and ask... explain your situation and they may help you out. If not, reducing to the bare minimum package as suggested is a good idea, in my opinion.

You can do this by phone.

I don't know why the SSN would make a difference...

#6 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:43 AM

Same advice here if you really don't want to get rid of DirecTV. If you can afford the family pack that is only $30 a month, and deactivate all receivers but one to save on mirror fees. May be cheaper to do just that and burn off the commitment then pay the ETF all at once. Plus in the meantime you still get 50 or so channels. Then see where you are at once you've burned off the commitment.

Or suspend your account (no charge) for 6 months and see where you are at. If you're still in money troubles see if you can suspend it again. I've read reports where your commitment still keeps on counting even when suspended but unsure on that one. Could always suspend for 6 months and then call and see how much time you have left on contract and then decide what to do from there.

I had to cut back too but didn't need to cancel. I had Premier but cut all that out and save $40+ a month and then just got Netflix for $8 a month for movies. I've saved quite a bit just doing that.

#7 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:08 AM

I've read reports where your commitment still keeps on counting even when suspended but unsure on that one.

I don't remember when the change went into effect, but I am pretty sure that DirecTV no longer lets the commitment run while your account is on suspension.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,813 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:22 AM

Yes, I believe that is correct.

I'm not sure, but I don't think so.

Phone should work, but get the name and ID number of who you speak with, and make detailed notes about everything that is said. Ask them to make notes on your account, and have them read them back to you.

I would guess that would apply towards the ETF.

Thanks
Duncan

Some of the other suggestions are good also. Good luck on this issue, and on your financial position going forward.

Carl

#9 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:27 PM

Hi,

Thanks

Duncan

1. newer accounts, that is correct $20.00 per month

2. Cancel requires no less than 3 hours notice

3. Cancel is usually by phone

4. You will not get your deposit back.

5. Suspend will not take any months off you agreement while the account is in suspend. So suspend for 6 months will not use 6 months of agreement time.

#10 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:14 PM

Again, as others have suggested, why not just suspend your account for 6 months? It's financially less painful at this time than any termination fees.

Also you paid a credit activation fee at the onset of your account, for which you should have been receiving a monthly discount. This is not a deposit, and because it's not you will not receive it back if you cancel.

So you lose the rest of your activation fee plus the cancelation fee, that's a huge financial hit for anyone, much less someone in the situation you presented.

Suspend!:)

spam firewall