Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Disappointed in GamePlan

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:00 PM

There was talk here that GamePlan was to possibly have some games in HD this season. Anyone that attempts to watch a SD game on and HDTV knows it's virtually unwatchable, especially on GamePlan.

This will be my last season subscribing to GamePlan and FullCourt after several years. I can't justify the price for what I consider a very poor (i.e. virtually unwatchable) product for HD consummers. I don't know what the reasoning is, but I'm shocked something hasn't been done about this as nearly 40% of households have an HDTV, and the percentage goes up big time with sports fans.

What ices it for me today is I'm watching the end of the Georgia/Auburn game on GamePlan in crappy SD. During a TO I switch over to ESPN and they break into the game with bonus coverage. Of course, they have the HD feed. So why can't GamePlan and its providers do the same?

For a package that sells for over $100, I expect a lot more! I don't know what the reasons are for not getting this done this season, but I have a hunch they will be losing a ton of business next season if they don't get this issue addressed.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   saleen351

saleen351

Godfather

• Registered
  • 478 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:27 PM

I"m sure if you want a specific college it may help to have the package but for me, seems every big game is already on TV in HD...

I wish all sports packages were like the NFL... I dropped MLB last year, won't buy it ever again due to the bs..

#3 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:37 PM

Even though most games are produced in HD I suspect the broadcast limitations lie in the bandwidth available by both ESPN and DirecTV.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#4 OFFLINE   stlmike

stlmike

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:12 PM

There was talk here that GamePlan was to possibly have some games in HD this season. Anyone that attempts to watch a SD game on and HDTV knows it's virtually unwatchable, especially on GamePlan.

This will be my last season subscribing to GamePlan and FullCourt after several years. I can't justify the price for what I consider a very poor (i.e. virtually unwatchable) product for HD consummers. I don't know what the reasoning is, but I'm shocked something hasn't been done about this as nearly 40% of households have an HDTV, and the percentage goes up big time with sports fans.

What ices it for me today is I'm watching the end of the Georgia/Auburn game on GamePlan in crappy SD. During a TO I switch over to ESPN and they break into the game with bonus coverage. Of course, they have the HD feed. So why can't GamePlan and its providers do the same?

For a package that sells for over $100, I expect a lot more! I don't know what the reasons are for not getting this done this season, but I have a hunch they will be losing a ton of business next season if they don't get this issue addressed.

Yep, it is horrible. It is made worse that we are now used to watching games in HD. I'm glad I'm a Big Ten fan and don't need it anymore... Sorry that you have to suffer through it.

#5 OFFLINE   Jestr40

Jestr40

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:07 AM

Even though most games are produced in HD I suspect the broadcast limitations lie in the bandwidth available by both ESPN and DirecTV.

Satracer has said here before that it is an ESPN decision not to offer HD games in Gameplan, not a D* one.

#6 OFFLINE   full moon

full moon

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:58 AM

Gameplan is a waste to me...

#7 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:20 AM

I"m sure if you want a specific college it may help to have the package but for me, seems every big game is already on TV in HD...

I wish all sports packages were like the NFL... I dropped MLB last year, won't buy it ever again due to the bs..

I get what you are saying about NFL offers all games in HD. However, I would hope not all sports packages were like the NFL.... I don't think everyone wants to pay an additional $100 for Superfan package just to get the games in HD.
my setup here

#8 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:54 AM

Not disappointed because it is what it is and we knew it would be going into the season. There was no real chance of HD this year and the package keeps going down in value as other networks (BTN, Versus) take over more college football.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#9 OFFLINE   aa9vi

aa9vi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:53 PM

Agreed, I most likely will not renew. Since you only get 4 games at a time now on it, it's really not a good deal. Before ESPNU, the BTN, and the MTN, it used to have more games and be more worthwhile. I also agree 100%. The horrendous picture quality is the final straw. The package is only worth about $60 at the most a year now.

One of the "good" things was not having to see the horrible Vols this year in HD... that many more times. Better luck next year with Lane Kiffin or that Texas Tech guy.

#10 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:51 AM

Agreed, I most likely will not renew. Since you only get 4 games at a time now on it, it's really not a good deal. Before ESPNU, the BTN, and the MTN, it used to have more games and be more worthwhile. I also agree 100%. The horrendous picture quality is the final straw. The package is only worth about $60 at the most a year now.

One of the "good" things was not having to see the horrible Vols this year in HD... that many more times. Better luck next year with Lane Kiffin or that Texas Tech guy.

I agree, the package is just not as attractive as it used to be 3 or 4 years ago.

However, with my wife being a degenerate Vols fan, as long as they have games on, losing or not, we will probably sub to it.

However, it would be nice if they could at least equal the quality of other SD channels. We have watched a few games on ESPN360 on the big TV and they looked better than what we see on Gameplan. Pretty sad that internet streaming can beat somethign broadcast from the satellite. At times, on Gameplan, I can't even see that there is a number on the jersey, just a colored blob of pixels that could be a splash of paint for all I know.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#11 OFFLINE   mlb

mlb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:14 AM

As of now I'm dropping it as well. I know that next year Gameplan will have SEC games, but I really don't care about the low level SEC games. Plus, they will be picked up somewhere in the RSNs or even possibly on local OTA stations.

#12 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:17 AM

Ohio loves those low level SEC teams:)
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#13 ONLINE   sshams95

sshams95

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:19 AM

After almost 10 years of being a Gameplan subscriber, I will not renew as well....too much money, no HD, and quite frankly, I rarely needed it as the networks, FSN, ESPN family and Big 10 broadcast most of the interesting games. I will use ESPN360 more next year.

#14 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:30 AM

There were only 2 times this season where GP would have been useful to me - when Ole Miss upset Florida and the Texas-OSU game (which wasn't available on my local ABC affiliate). Not worth the expense. Same with FC.

#15 OFFLINE   mpar1

mpar1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:13 AM

Other than the occasional ABC regional game I could not other wise see, I only watch the Raycom SEC game. Next year that game will be available on some ESPN platform so I see no value going forward.

#16 OFFLINE   K1A

K1A

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:16 AM

You know all of the gameplan games are on ESPN360.com so you don't have to pay for it anyway. I am able to get that through my ISP (AT&T), it depends on your ISP.

#17 OFFLINE   mlb

mlb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:23 AM

Ohio loves those low level SEC teams:)

I'm a Cincinnati guy... so no hatred for the SEC here. :)

#18 OFFLINE   dshu82

dshu82

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:33 PM

Yep, it is horrible. It is made worse that we are now used to watching games in HD. I'm glad I'm a Big Ten fan and don't need it anymore... Sorry that you have to suffer through it.

Ditto.

I also remember the SD being particuarly bad on Gameplan the year or two I did have it.
D* customer since 1997

#19 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:35 PM

I'm thankful for the BTN. Gameplan was awful compared to the HD offerings of the Big Ten games. It was the only reason I got Gameplan prior to the BTN.
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#20 OFFLINE   mobilelawyer

mobilelawyer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMobile, Alabama

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:07 PM

The SD picture is just awful. The video looks like it was shot through a soda bottle, and then dubbed to VHS before being transmitted.

Furthermore, most of the games I would most like to see are blacked out, so my incentive for getting it in the first place is gone.
mobilelawyer
at your service

Protected By... spam firewall...And...